• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you adding any of the trim?
    Local person
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      The air cleaner nuts have plastic washers under them, I'll just let it sit in the rain and don't worry about it.

The plastic washers are to keep the rain from running down the studs? Does not enough get on the paper filter to matter, even when driving? (Seems like you have said rain does not bother it when it's running either)
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

• I don't care about the water getting into the paper, it doesn't seem to be an issue, and I've been running stuff this way for close to 20 years.

The car is a 300 model, that had side trim, trunk trim, etc. I was missing all that, so I welded up all the holes and made it look like the 100 model that didn't have all that shiny stuff. The welding was a bit of work, but it saves money and weight. And leaves the sides "clean" for all the lettering it will get.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• I've seen guys hydro-shock engines to clean carbon out of cyls but it's definitely not a recommended procedure if you don't know what the hell you're doing.

Comment

• Jim - we did the same on my falcon - filled in all the trim holes - and the letter / emblem holes too.

Do you have headlight trim? That's the only part of the car that looks "undone" to me - but I know how that stuff can get rare and pricey - I only noticed because my falcon is the same way....
            Again - thank you for the inspiration - I'm going to miss seeing this thing in September. Well done indeed!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• thanks! I did some more work on the headlight doors and installed them, they are beat to shit. New ones are a buck and a half a pair. I'm gonna save my pennies and buy some, but it'll be a little while.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• makes sense then, on the aluminum bit. my B-body has a few minor bends in it, but nothing you can really notice.
                Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Been tinkering with the windows, haven't got them all done yet, the vents are a pain..but I did get the glass setting tape I need. One door window is installed and working, both quarter windows are half way done.

I got on it a few times, and noticed a big cloud of blowby coming out the breather, enough to spatter oil on the windshield and on the header. The blown 454 in the 55 never did this that I'm aware of. Same valve covers on both engines, too. Strange. I wonder if there's something wrong with the motor? I can't really think what would be causing it. I'm worried the oil might catch fire on the header or something. Not sure what do....I could work on the crankcase ventilation system, install a puke can for it, or pipe the breather to the air filter, or something.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Rings not seated enough yet?

Still looks awesome.
                    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 7, 2014, 08:29 AM.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• It sure does !

Comment

• I don't know, Randal. The plugs all look good. It has 200 miles on it. Runs great. I was thinking about running a compression test just for fun. Also it doesn't make much boost, according to the new manifold pressure gauge I put on it. Although I haven't been watching the gauge at the same time it's been making excessive blowby.

More testing needed...

here's the engine, you can just see the breather cap on the passenger side valve cover. Pretty much all stock stuff.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• You are far more an expert than I, but my Firebird behaves the same, but my plugs do show signs of oil. Runs awesome though, but at WOT it's blowing oil out every orifice it has, and completely over runs my evac pump. I blame the used rings and the fact I used a stone hone rather than a ball hone on the cylinder bores, guess when I R&R it I'll know for sure? The compression tests on the engine come back fine, which surprised the heck out of me.

I really want to hook a vac/boost gauge to my crank case. I have one and I'm just trying to think where. I'm actually thinking of drilling and tapping a hole in the side of the block near the oil pan rail to install a fitting to measure crank case pressure. Data over load you know =P
                          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 7, 2014, 09:11 AM.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Maybe a breather to exhaust style evac would help(?)
                            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

• I had a good running 350 that did this. Once I put the hose hose from the breather to the air cleaner back on, it stopped.
                              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

• I'm trying to keep it 1960s looking, which is why I'm hesitant to do the header evac thing...although I'll do it if needed. I think I might try the air cleaner tube thing first. Strange that I ran the blown 454 for decades with the same ventilation system, and no issues.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X