No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirrel Rage, not Cage. He built the car because he go his ass kicked by a Chevy II

Comment

• The name for my car was decided last December....
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Hey Jim how about Plan II. lol
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

• That's a swell idea!
          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Simply an awesome car. I like Plan II.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              I just noticed the front fenders got cut - looks better.
              I didn't even notice until you said it, guess that means it looks right. Nice touch Jim.
              sigpic

Comment

• thanks!

I went for a drive this morning. I swapped out the breather cap for one that was dry, but otherwise pretty much identical. I got on it pretty good on the way home, big puff of blue smoke off the right side of the engine. When I got home I looked it over carefully, the breather was still dry, but the engine oil dipstick was sticking out a litte bit and the tube was oily, and it looks like it's right in the center of where the oil spatters came from. So...I pulled out the dipstick, put a cap on the tube, and I'll go for a drive and see what it does.

The dipstick is old and the seal doesn't have any tension in it, the Moroso pan doesn't really have any baffling in it, so maybe that's the problem.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

• Best of luck!

Im willing to take a bet this one gets a nice photo in the mag coverage
                  Local person
                  sigpic

Comment

• I've ran into dipsticks raising up issues on both my Buick and Firebird. The passenger side is the worse for the dipstick tube to be unbaffled because the crank spin direction. The Firebird is doubly bad because the dipstick is completely surrounded by the tube, aka the tube sits in the sump covered so with any crank case pressure it pushes oil up the tube, not gases.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I bet its not good when it was whistling from the vacuum pump, means it's aerating the oil it's pulling through, either that, the oil level is also probably pretty low in the sump when the engine is running.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• the moroso pan also doesn't have any tubing extending into the pan, it's kind of like a funnel to point all that stuff coming off the crank, right into the dipstick tube.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• I think you found it Jim, that makes a lot of sense. I'm sure you'll come up with an elegant solution as you always do.... are there locking dipsticks for engine oil like those for ATF?
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I only found Lokar locking dipsticks....not too keen on them....but I could make something, I'm sure. I've also been toying with the idea of modifying a stock oil pan to replace the Moroso pan, for a few reasons.

I went for a drive, got some more oil/smoke out of it, and then discovered the cap I put on the dipstick tube has a hole in it. oops. I'll pull the tube out, and plug the hole where it's threaded at the oil pan, and try again. But first...I was watching the oil pressure gauge, and the pressure was dropping when I got on the throttle. Not good. Has 7 qts in it, might add one more and see how it does. I had problems with the 454 in the 55 when I went to a hydraulic roller cam, it needed another quart of oil to keep from running out of pressure at higher rpm.

It never ends
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• starting to wonder if the 55 is gonna get raped for its engine too...
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• heh...me too!
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• At least it's not August 31st. I stuck an o-ring in the bell shaped cap that is on my OHC's dipstick and I'm contemplating adding a pull down spring some how, like tack welding a small hook on the side of the tube. I also slathered some Ultra Black RTV into the center of the o-ring to seal around the stick as it passed through the cap.
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X