No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeebus! Is that through the glass-packs?? Shouldn't have any trouble staying awake while driving!

Must of been bad oil
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• I think there was just too much of it.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Two words. Ear plugs.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• No carpet , no sound deadening , glass packs ....... oh ya it'll be loud , an't it great !!!!!

Comment

• It's tolerable.... I'm going to work on the fuel line tomorrow, see if I can get some of the buzz from the pump to quiet down. I can only hear the blower whine occasionally.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

• So the oil was aerating, or the oil filter bypass might have been flaky? Glad it wasn't something major.

Ear plugs for the win, and some more insulation on that fuel line.

I'm a data geek - so I'd put that O2 sensor as Randal stated, transmission side of one of the primary pipes after the header, before the muffler.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I have an O2 sensor on the 55 in that location...one issue is that when I pull the exhaust to race, the sensor won't be on the car. Then when I put the exhaust back on, I have to recalibrate the sensor, which requires removing it and doing some electronic fiddling, then re installing it.

I ran the carbs on the 55 for a little while, with the O2 sensor, so I have a fair idea of how they work. I'm probably going to just ignore the concept of AFR, just like we used to do....
                My fabulous web page

Comment

• Reading plugs worked for decades, still works.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I figured just run the O2 sensor for a month or so around home and not even have it in the car for Drag Week. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be re-calibrating it all the time either, it is a pain.

Comment

• I think I'll see if I can make it to Tucson in the car tonight. Should be interesting.

I did some work on the fuel line, it's quieter. I also put skinny radials on the car...centerlines up front, cragars in back.

Adventures are fun, right?
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• So what did you do to the fuel line? Cannot wait to hear how the road trip goes!
                        Last edited by Russell; June 14, 2014, 06:05 PM.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

• Road trip went fine, no issues with the car at all. Got about 10 mpg, cruised around 70 mph (just under 3000 rpm). Not much traction with 205/75R15 tires out back....but I expected that. Max temp was 220 when pulling into the destination in Tucson, which is a kind of warm place in June. around 200 or less on the highway.

The fuel line...I just replaced the first 18" of rigid aluminum tube, after the fuel pump, with braided stainless. I added a bulkhead fitting, screwed to the frame rail, where the two meet. Pics later, if I remember.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• My car was getting north of 200 this weekend and I was getting a bit concerned, reading your comment I may have been prematurely flustered.

I’m curious, for you guys in the hot part of the country, at what point is hot, too hot for an old american V8?

Comment

• I think that boiling over is too hot. 240 is about as high as I'd like to see.....it helps if you have a gauge with no numbers on it....
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                                I think that boiling over is too hot. 240 is about as high as I'd like to see.....it helps if you have a gauge with no numbers on it....
                                x2. If it's not spewing coolant, pinging and/or mis-firing (vapor lock), then it's not too hot. Old cars make me nervous at about 220 because I feel the car has lost control of the heating, but if I'm climbing a mountain grade or such where I know the end of the load is coming up, then I don't worry too much about it. If I'm sitting in stop and go traffic and do not know when it'll get moving again, then I start getting concerned.

I used to peg out the temp gauge on my Skylark with the old V6 every time it climbed a mountain in summer, but it never skipped a beat so I motored on.

Comment

Working...
                                X