62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    I think that boiling over is too hot. 240 is about as high as I'd like to see.....it helps if you have a gauge with no numbers on it....

I was going to swap dash clusters in my truck, from one with idiot lights to one with gauges. I swapped the temp sensor first. Then, the dash cluster swap didn't go down... the idiot light glows to different degrees of brightness as the engine heats up - which is annoying at night, so I unplugged it.

I'll know it's too hot when it blows steam out from under the hood. :D

The Chevelle would vapor lock somewhere around 185 - 195 ? It's been a long time since I let it get over 185.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
      Feasible for sure. I ran that clear external oil line on my Firebird for a while (which eventually blew up...) and I remember the first time I fired the engine up I panicked because the aeration in the tube was BAD. My problem was due to too thick of oil and around 30*F temps. I drained it and put some 10w-30 in and the bubbles vanished.

Even now, only in first gear, my Firebird has very funky oil pressure behavior. I am running an electric sender and it does behave like a short, but it only does it in first gear. Rock solid 50psi coming up on RPM (3,500+ rpm?), then bounces around down to 20-25psi until the shift, then steadies out at 50psi for every gear after that, to redline rpm. Has me thrown for a loop, but does it every time and it doesn't go to zero. I'm uncomfortably comfortable with it now (if that makes sense), but I wouldn't be on your engine. I hadn't been able to observe the clear line while driving to see if it was an aeration issue. I'm hoping to take some pickup measurements to make sure it's properly positioned in the sump and the o-ring that seals the pickup to the block is installed cleanly (I'll replace it when I have the engine apart). Only in first gear and it has me thoroughly confused. I'll let you know if I come up with anything funky in my OHC this weekend during tear down.
      This sounds like lack of baffling, first gear is greatest acceleration and g force so aireation form a partially uncovered pick up culd be the culprit.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• Mine is still blowing oil out somewhere...noticed a nice speckling on the windshield. I put some stickier tires on it and got on it a bit more. The only evidence on the engine, was some oil on the edge of the valve cover gasket. Gasket is good, bolts are tight, cover doesn't seem to be warped there. It is right below the breather, but there doesn't seem to be any oil on the valve cover. Strange.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• It makes a few small clouds of vapor around the breather cap, and seems to push it up just a little bit to? Hard to tell with the shakiness of the video. Anyways, the radiator cap view is fun

My fabulous web page

Comment

• GREAT Video!

I didn't see much vapor escaping, either. I had a brainstorm, though. Can you tap an extra oil fill cap and hook up a pressure gage? Then you could read the crankcase pressure and see if that might be the culprit. If you tape/mount the pressure gage up by the windshield you could even read it whilst driving. Seems like a useful hunk of data. On the S-10 I could use the boost gage but you probably have an old low pressure gage lying around.

Dan

Comment

• I noticed a bit of haze from that breather on what I think was the 3rd pull....My god does that thing sound amazing...not as roudy as I had imagined it to be at idle but for the love of Jebus at WOT...I mighta pee'd my pants a little
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• As I thought. You've finally warped space-time.

Looks like it's coming out the breather to me after a dozen re-watches at full screen. I was wondering about perhaps it could be trans fluid, but at about 1:23 there seems to be a sustained amount of smoke coming out the breather during the acceleration. Looks manageable, just needs a hood.
                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 26, 2014, 12:08 PM.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• I started on the hood a couple days ago, but then got sidetracked by wheelie bars when the steel tube finally came in the mail.

I think the go pro camera is responsible for the weird distortion, the original video file looks like that.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• I discovered most of my oil leaks I thought were from the valve cover at freeway speeds was actually my dipstick. Oil seems to get pushed out of it. Ends up all over the right side of the engine. I have to make sure it is all the way down in the tube or it will come out at 3000 rpm on the freeway. Never lose a drop from it around town. And, yes oil runs down my valve cover from oil cap. I hate that. Went batshit and made a new rubber gasket for it. Twice as thick now.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I had a lot coming out of the dipstick, so I took it out and capped the tube.

Might get some wrist sweat bands for now...
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• Working on wheelie bars. Actually more like casters...they're kind of wild, a combination of old fashioned design, with one more modern part (the flat aluminum bar).

Got one side mocked up, then took it apart for paint...should have them both done tomorrow.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Interesting. Are they going to be removable for out on the street?

Comment

• Each one is held in with two long bolts, pretty easy to take them out. Unless they get bent! We'll see what happens.

This is how they look with paint

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Slick!

Comment

• " steel tube finally came in the mail " ? I take it this is your own design or an adaptation of another design . I like how you've keep the Valley Chevrolet name plate on the trunk lid , once again nice work

Comment

Working...
                                X