X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPIFFY!

Dan

Comment

• A couple more pics. Gary is comparing the new tire to the old one.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Wow those fronts are SKINNY! well done as usual - I need a close up of the hood prop / pin situation. I figured you were going to use a prop that went through the hood pin hole - but that would have put the prop in the way. I need to move mine on the falcon for that reason - it fits OK but it's in the way far too often.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• here you go.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Nice work as usual - is that a piece of thin wall aluminum tube? I'm thinking I could use a piece of rigid conduit for the same effect but a bit heavier?
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• yeah, it's 3/4 diameter 1/16" aluminum. Weight is important for my car, may not be so important for yours. I use lighter stuff when it's easy.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• looking cool man. I dig that prop rod! simple design, out of the way, and lightweight.
                Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

• I just keep a piece of pvc on the floorboard of the back seat as a prop rod... of course, if I could find the original hood hinge springs, I could do away with it :/

I like the idea of securing it in case of winds.

Comment

• I have a piece of broomstick in the trunk for the trunk prop rod. The hood will likely stay open for longer times, and may need to get quick access to the engine, so I took some extra effort to make it user friendly.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• had a similiar setup but being on the side it tweak the hood so went back with the center but does get in the way
                      Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                      Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

• Got to see the car last night for the first time all together. Jim is a very talented and creative guy, the car is killer and seems to work perfectly. Till last night I have yet to hear it running person so when he fired it up it as a treat. Long tubes thru glass packs have such an awesome sound (not for everyone) but it had me and my son grinning ear to ear. I could hear it idling a block away. In traffic there was a buffer zone around the car and it seemed like everyone was gawking...guess it aint every day you see and blown, AWB Chevy II running around the streets!
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Man, you busted tail and you have something you should be very proud of. Nice work.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Thanks!

I had a fun adventure last night. I got the bias ply front tires mounted on the car, and the slicks mounted on some 15x7 aluminum slots. I checked the slicks to make sure they'd fit, they're really close to the front of the wheel opening, but they clear. I decided to head up to Tucson for the test-n-tune, planned to get there around 7 pm. I loaded up the slicks, wheelie bars, helmet, tools, spare parts, floor jack, etc. The weather this time of year is scattered thunderstorms, and there was one not far from the strip. When I got there, the race had been cancelled--the tractors they use for track prep weren't running, they said. So, I headed into town, and met up with Joe, then cruised down Speedway (which was eerily deserted on a summer Friday night, compared to how it used to be 30-40 years ago), then stopped by my mom's house for a while. When I headed homewards, around 10, it was windy and stormy in Tucson, and when I got out of town, it started raining. Rained all the way home. The car handles a bit funny in the wind, but I was able to drive 55-65 pretty much the whole way home. It's been decades since I drove a car with bias ply tires, so it takes a little getting used to, how they follow the ruts in the road, etc. Also they don't seem to respond very quickly to steering input, which is a little unnerving, but it's not too bad when you get used to it. Plus, the car is a high, boxy, short wheelbase beast, so I shouldn't expect it to drive like a modern car...it's supposed to be exciting!

When I was driving around Tucson it was probably close to 100, and the temp gauge got over 230 a couple times, although it cooled down when I got moving. I probably need to build some fan shroud, I was thinking just a piece on each end of the radiator to help it pull air across the ends of the radiator.

And I probably need to add some drain holes inside the car.

The wiring is mostly exposed to the elements under the hood, I was a little concerned about it, but didn't notice any issues. And it ran just fine.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• A little clean-up and she'll be good as new. Glad you had a good outing and it's way cool that you hooked up with Joe and son. Having a friend of your Dad pull up in something like THAT adds to Dad's cool factor.

Dan

Comment

• I know you have some other front wheels on the way but I really like the look of those black wheels , especially paired with the 5 spokes out back

Comment

Working...
                                X