No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With out a seal, watch your oil level (and pressure) for a while to make sure to flow doesn't carry all your oil out.

10-15inHg is dang good vacuum, especially considering the breather is in place, kinda makes me wonder about the measurement.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• That's with no breather, it's sealed up, has the header evac on on side, and pcv on the other. I really want to have a breather on it, in case it makes pressure, so the pressure has somewhere to go
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• That makes sense. Now you make me want to install one of those on my L6 and ditch the electric motor Though I have a chambered muffler on it. I never thought about running a pcv and evac together.... I always figured one or the other. Interesting.

Wouldn't pressure just push through the evac? The exhaust will be wide open anytime you have the pedal to the floor and loaded up with traction.

Comment

• It should....although with mufflers on, it might not, because of back pressure in the exhaust. I do get on it sometimes on the street.
          Last edited by squirrel; July 22, 2014, 11:05 AM.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Hmm, since I don't run closed loop fueling, I could pull the O2 sensor and for a drive or two and thread a nipple and vacuum line in to the port. Working with the metric threads would be the biggest headache.

Comment

• The fuel pump hole vent needs a lot more baffle than it has. Big blue smokeout that tail pipe
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• And you need a lathe Randal
                My fabulous web page

Comment

• I need a lot of things. Mostly to be independently wealthy, but a lathe would be a good start.

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    The fuel pump hole vent needs a lot more baffle than it has. Big blue smokeout that tail pipe

Out the pipe or the breather? If it's the exhaust pipe then it might be pulling a ton of oil through the evac hose now that there is actual flow.

Comment

• I hadn't thought of that, but it might be part of it....with a vacuum, there's not much airflow to pull oil out.

But I didn't put a baffle in the pump hole when I mounted the evac system there, and it apparently blows a lot of oil up there.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• The hole is on the upswing side of the timing chain.

Before I even had the L6 in the Firebird and was mentioning putting an electric vacuum pump on it, one of the first warnings I got from Jeff (and possibly DG and CDMBill) was if you don't seal the engine well you will pull a ton of oil. It's a cfm of flow issue, there could be enough flow rate to over come baffling. I think I'm seeing it on my engine as I'm getting around 1inHg of vacuum at idle. I haven't measured it while driving, but it certainly isn't going to go up, and I still get a fair amount of oil into the catch can (at least it looks like clean oil now).

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                          I need a lot of things. Mostly to be independently wealthy, but a lathe would be a good start.
                          Lathes are not that expensive... the mills start getting a little pricey and HEAVY.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• When my old workplace was sold and being shut down I had my eye on our old metal lathe . It was a little rough but worked great until the day when it was being moved from one side of the shop to the other and it was dropped and landed on the carriage . Needless to say it was f 'd .

Comment

• Swapped gears, went from 3.25 to 3.70. Now it's making a new interesting rattling noise in the blower. Huh. Going to get some lettering on it next week, if things go as planned.

I got my new front wheels, and mounted them using my new harbor freight $40 manual tire machine. And bubble balanced them with my old 70s bubble balancer.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Can't wait to see the outcome. Hope the blower noise is a simple fix.

Comment

Working...
                                X