No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks! Gasser & A/FX is the name of the class.....I guess I'm going in the A/FX part! although the car would not fit any of the FX classes they had back then, it fits the Drag Week A/FX class just fine
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• We'll probably see you in Tulsa. It'll be nice to see the car 'close up'........
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• I hope to be there, it will be good to meet you!

I played with the distributor today. The old Mallory "Double Life" dual point is an oddball, it acts like two 4 cylinder distributors, 45 degrees apart. The 4 lobe cam operates two sets of points, one set runs every other cylinder in the firing order. The problem is that point adjustment is critical, and timing changes with dwell, for each set of points. I put a line on the crank hub every 90 degrees, and checked the timing of both sets of points, they were off by quite a bit, at least 10 (crank) degrees. So....I need to fix it somehow. For now, I put a newer regular dual point distributor in it, but it doesn't have a tach drive, so I need to temporarily install an electronic tach. I'm looking around for a different old tach drive distributor, and have a few leads. I also did some comparing of parts, and looked around on the internets, and found a breaker plate that is supposed to fit my distributor, but it's for an 8 lobe rotor. And I found an 8 lobe rotor in a box of left over parts from someone's long ago Unilite conversion. I pulled the Double Life apart, and removed the 4 lobe cam, and pressed on the 8 lobe cam. Looks like it might work. If I can get the breaker plate, and get it all put together (with some new points, which I also found NOS on ebay), I might be able to fix it and keep using the neat old distributor. It has the old style two piece cap, which looks right in the car.

And...I might head up to the drags in Tucson again this Saturday. I ordered a weight distributing hitch to use with my Suburban, and I'd like to try it out on a short trip so I can decide if it'll work ok to haul to Tulsa. Although, we made it there last year, with a heavier load on the trailer, and the tail of the suburban almost dragging on the ground....

I do need to see how the car performs with the 3.70 gears, and make sure it's running well enough to run a ten. I'd rather find problems now, than somewhere in the middle of Kansas
        My fabulous web page

Comment

• How do you load your trailer? .. I find the rear wheel of the car close to the rear wheel of the trailer balances best.. I will put a block under the rear of the trailer and try to get close to the same gap on the block. Used the load levelers on a 2 car hauler and they made a world of difference.. Lots of travel trailers had them.. I find having the trailer/rig blocked up when setting the levelers makes it easier to get it set up.. I'm not as comfy with the 90 Suburban (1/2T) as I am with the crewcab or my flatbed.. (1T, dualies, both)

Comment

• 3/4 ton and heavier trucks make towing better...

I usually go by how far the front fenders of the towing truck raise up from the tires. A little bit of lift = some tongue weight. If I had any sense, I'd get a scale to put under the trailer jack. But I usually get it pretty close, haven't had too many trailer handling problems over the years.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

• although a quick google session shows that the trick is to use a bathroom scale, and a couple boards, to get a close approximation.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• You are a mechanical engineer =P

Interesting about the dual point distributor making timing different for half the cylinders. Are all dual point distributors like that? I had read that the dual points setups increased dwell time, thus ability to reach higher rpms, but couldn't figure out how, and I'm still not sure how if there is only one ignition coil. Or is there two coils?
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Is your trailer to short? Most of my towing has been done with half-tons. I just pull the car being hauled forward on the trailer until the truck squats to "level". On some vehicles, the rear tires never made it past the beaver tail on the trailer - but since I use 4 tie downs and put the parking brake on and put the vehicle in park or in gear, I don't worry about it rolling off the back of the trailer.

*edit* I just remembered that not all trailers have stow away ramps. The trailers with fold up in the rear ramps force you to pull forward. :/
                  Last edited by yellomalibu; August 8, 2014, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• So on your situation with different timing. Were the other cylinders 10* advanced or retarted from #1 where I assume you originally set your timing? If advanced it could be pinging on those cylinders which could possible add to your oil problem from maybe some blow by during that event? Its a stretch but it crossed my mind.
                    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

• The Mallory Double Life and Rev Pol distributors use a 4 lobe rotor, but as far as I know all the other dual point 8 cyl distributors use an 8 lobe rotor, and have one set of points open the circuit, and the other set closes it. So yeah Randal, you were right.

As for the number of coils...there was a company that made a DuCoil distributor, which had a 4 lobe rotor and two coils. And the RevPol is fascinating, it uses a 4 lobe and one single "dual" coil. One side of the coil is connected with reverse polarity, and it's really fun trying to figure out how that works. But enough of that...

The other 4 cylinders were indeed too far advanced, and I think that might have been part of the blow by issue. I need to pull the plugs and give them a good looksee, make sure nothing looks damaged up there, and it probably wouldn't hurt to run a compression test. It did seem to run a little better with a properly working distributor, on my test drive into town last night

The weight distributing hitch might show up today on ups....
                      Last edited by squirrel; August 8, 2014, 06:55 AM.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• Jim, my neighbor restores & sells old distributors as a hobby/job now that he is retired. I could PM you his number if you want, several months ago I seem to remember he had a dual point tach drive one just about done.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Thanks...but I don't want to spend a lot for it, I'd rather restore it myself. I found one on the HAMB that looks like I can get it cheap and fix it.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• more video. Ran it again tonight in Tucson, worked well, happy.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• I'm guessing that was a low 11?
                              Tim
                              Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• pretty drama free looking from here.. nice! Are you still on a converter hunt? What was the DA, out of curiosity?
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X