No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He could make it "legal" to go faster... That'd ruin the "look" he so perfectly nailed! I'm sure with a few tweaks here and there he has a pretty much faster car... Maybe some day the need for speed will bite.. And he starts another ridiclously sweet project so we all can ooh and aahh! Untill then, I'm sure he just wants to enjoy it!

Comment

• that's about it. I can't really think of anything I want to change.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Oh...I weighed the car Saturday in racing trim. me not in the car. 2700 and the front/back bias is 50/50. Exactly what I wanted
        My fabulous web page

Comment

• This is Hero stuff...what people want to read in their magazines.

Comment

• Yup, I think Squirrel's II is destined to become an icon. It can be driven on the street easily and runs hard along with classic looks and great build quality.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• I went for a drive today...an older fellow I know has been sick, so I stopped by his place so he could see the car. He liked it

Car still runs good, and it's fun to drive around. And I get to fill it up with gas pretty often, usually about every third trip into town (it's 20+ miles to town and back home)
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Neat picture...I bought the 8x10 at Tulsa. You get to see the small online version, and if you go to the link you can buy the big print!

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Nice launch! I can't believe how flat the car is. Those fronts are EXACTLY the same distance off the track.

Dan

Comment

• there's a long story behind that....who remembers back in the 70s when it was common to put more spring in the passenger side rear?

My car has the original monoleaf springs. I noticed the car was sitting a little funny, and when I had the springs out I layed them next to eachother, one has more arch than the other. I think from when it got hit in the rear? Anyways, I naturally put the "taller" spring on the pass side. When I got the car all set up, it sat crooked. I eventually realized I could add a leaf to the left front spring, and get it to sit level, while keeping the right rear weight bias. I think that's why it launches so flat.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• For years I've added air shocks to the rear of my dual purpose street strip cars, so I could preload the right rear when I race. I use about 20-30 lbs. more air in the r. rear, and just the minimum in the l. rear. On the street I keep them both at minimum, as they're not there to do any lifting or overload work. I raced my '71 427 Camaro for 16 yrs., and the first few years I continually fought trying to get it to launch straight. An old timer back in '75 suggested the air shocks as a quick, inexpensive fix, and it worked instantly.

Comment

• If you're building a 70s period car, (or a normal budget build) then air shocks would definitely be the way to go!
                        Last edited by squirrel; September 30, 2014, 08:23 AM.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

• I thought air shocks were modern tech. I had a set on the rear of the Camaro - just so I could load it on the trailer more easily. Worked great!

Dan

Comment

• I love this stuff! Before air shocks there was Air Lift who sponsored Eddie Schartman. They were air bags you stuffed inside a coil spring. If your car had leaf springs the kit came with a light duty coil spring addon too. Then air shocks came along testing the mounting brackets for rear shocks beyond anything a Detroit engineer imagined. The one to have was the Gabriel Hi-Jacker, painted bright white. Other makes followed with even brighter colors. Before air shocks kids were stuck with adding extra long rear shackles which would gradually de-arch the spring. All that to make room for the cool sixty series tires back then like the vaunted Inglewood Pos-A-Traction Torque Twisters.
                            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Yeah, air shocks are probably one of the most misused aftermarket parts ever invented! Back in the 70's every guy with a stink bug stance had Hi Jackers, with 100 lbs. of air in them. But in the right scenario, and with normal air shocks that firm up, they aren't designed to lift much. It's rare that a serious car guy lays down and looks under the rear to notice them, so I rarely get asked about them. When I do, the guys who understand how they're used don't have a problem with them either.
                              Last edited by 1946Austin; October 3, 2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• Spotted this and you in the new roadkill!
                                Local person
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X