Boxy LT1 swap has begun....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxy LT1 swap has begun....

Well pulled the tired lo5 today and cleaned out the home for the LT1 gonna go T56 later on ,but for right now I'm gonna rebuild the 700r4 and use it behind the lt1 till i get all the parts for the 6 speed swap. This thing seems lighter than that Monte carlo I did before this.

Old engine and trans

LT1 harness ready to be grafted to the old lo5 harness, thinking about trying to hook up the newer wiper motor and washer tank.

Re: Boxy LT1 swap has begun....

Good luck! Are you leaving the fenderwells out of it?

Comment

going to document it on www.impalassforum.com ? I for one keep thinking about this swap for a coupe as a DD with some presence.

Side question for you DF, are you are boxy, Orca, or late B-body fan?
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

What's the difference between Orca and late B-body? Orca is early rear wheelwells? If so, I'll go late B-body.

Comment

yeah, the Orca is the partially skirted rear wheels and slightly more bulbous body.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

No I just took out the fenderwells so I could get to the harness at the firewall and get around the engine a little better. never really heard any terms for the differnt styles of 91-96 , its always been boxy's (77-90) or bubbles (91-96) this thing came out of a 95 roadie wagon, 136k on it ,intake and exhaust ports are clean as a wistle , so I'm just gonna throw some valve springs and a cam and some new rod and main bearings in it , cylinders look perfect and I can still see the crosshatching on the walls so Its not even gonna have the pistons pulled. headers and duals are also in the works.

the monte ss I did before this

CTX its over ther ein the caprice section.

Comment

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I was considering doing this exact thing. I will be watching for updates. Great idea and hope it turns out as well as it should.

Comment

The harness is scarry to me....Electrics/harnes and wires intimidate me for some reason...maybe everytime I mess with them I F*k them up

going to paint the bay/chassis or leave it?

Comment

naa the wireing isn't that bad, i like to do it myself
                  A. I'm a cheap bastard
                  B. I like to have a idea of how things work , not just order it from somewhere and go i dunno how it works it just does ..
                  and C. i know that anyone who does this kinda thing as a business is laughing all the way to the bank.
                  this stuff isn't that hard , you just need to know what does what and having the manual at least for the car your installing it in helps too, but for the doner harness its reall common sence, you know the stuff you can weed out , ABS , the f body harnesses have the fog lights and tons of other stuff in em , where as the b body harness is pretty straight forward.

ok someone was asking about engine mounts, its simple, you just take the upside down one on the pass side

remove the stud in front of it , turn it over and bolt it back up ..

now.i went through and removed all the old tbi wiring from the engine bay harness its not hard , just remove all the loom and tape, and starting at the connector for what ever sensor you want to remove, trace the wire back and cut it off, I'll remove the firewall plug tommorow and finish removing the wires , but i just wanted to get the main part out of the way. pretty much all your left with it the power wires to the inside and from the alt and starter and a temp wire and oil pressure light wire.for the pass side and some misc wires for the i/p that comes in on the pass side of the dash.

leftovers..

now i place it back in the car and i can fine tune it to the lenghts i need to merge with the 95 caprice harness.

as you can see the wires for all the power come from the starter, and then goes along to oilpan up and over the front of the engine,back down and back along the pan and then up over the booster and into the firewall plug. so you can see i have wayy too much wire left over.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                    yeah, the Orca is the partially skirted rear wheels and slightly more bulbous body.
                    Major hijack here, but as an update, we just bought a '94 9C1 car tonight fopr $550. We didn't need it, but we drove it 80 miles today and did a lot of burnouts with it, so the entertainment value has already added up a bit. It's worth way more than 550 in parts.

Back to the intended thread...

Comment

Comment

why not a 4 speed ?

Comment

Cool Project....Please keep us posted.

Seth
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            why not a 4 speed ?
                            cause i would like the have some kind of double didgit gas mileage.

Comment

props on the swap. about 6 months ago i swapped an efi lt1 into my 72 chevelle. (theirs a post with pics. on this site). i'm currently doing a lt1 efi swap into my 89 chev. silverado p/u. going with a turbo 350 trans. hope to have it running sometime this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X