No announcement yet.

Search and Rescue K9 (SAR 4 posh)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this worked out pretty well.... looks like the entire repairs on the car will be in the less-than-one-hundred-dollar category.

I'm now really struggling with the idea of swapping out the motor for a diesel.... my wife has the TDI to DD, and the poor(ish) mpg of the LR would keep her from driving it for anything but SAR. The problem with driving your SAR vehicle as a DD is twofold; 1) you have no room for anything else in the car; and 2) you eat your 3 day supplies when you're jonesing for a candy bar....

I figure the swap will cost between 3-6k.... granted, she's driven the BMW 30k miles since we got it in February for SAR, so the fuel savings would pencil out pretty quickly.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 6, 2013, 06:17 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

What are the "Three Amigos" refering to in this thread? I must have missed the explanation.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dlights.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	873789

there are warning lights that come on on the Land Rovers with amazing frequency - so often that they have their own handle

ABS, traction control, and hill descent control - most often it's because there's a short or corrosion in the wire that runs from the left front wheel to the ABS controller.

Comment

Pull the bulbs. Or if they're a pain to get to there's always electrical tape.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Pull the bulbs. Or if they're a pain to get to there's always electrical tape.

Dan
            wife's car - she needs the computer assist

Comment

I was teasin' you. We don't REALLY use that technique here though I've been tempted.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                I was teasin' you. We don't REALLY use that technique here though I've been tempted.

Dan
                it wouldn't be the first time I pulled a bulb - thus the wife reason.... I'm unsafe at any speed - she would actually pay attention those silly little things

Comment

hmmmm.... now I'm in a quandry

a friend here suggested using an LS motor for it - something in a 4.8 or 5.3 (so I don't have to replace everything else like I would if I overpowered it)

Comment

I'm not sure that's a friend.......

Dan

Comment

engine cost alone - $2700 difference; assuming for a second that all other conversion bits cost the same - $2700 buys a lot of gas... and that's assuming (again) that I'd get better mpg with the cummins or isuzu diesel

Comment

I have to wait until I get the title to work on this.... but I will collect parts in the meantime

Comment

I'm storing this for myself

Comment

Good idea.

As far as LS conversions go, there's a guy in Australia that makes the right adapter and whatnot to make an LS happy in a Rover, but it's not cheap. I have no doubt that you could make the adapter plate and motor mounts if you really wanted to, it's getting the computer happy and getting the right setup to the torque converter I'd be worried about. I'd entertain a 5.3 in my Rover, if it didn't seem like more hassle than just swapping in a 4.6 Rover.

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post
                              Good idea.

As far as LS conversions go, there's a guy in Australia that makes the right adapter and whatnot to make an LS happy in a Rover, but it's not cheap. I have no doubt that you could make the adapter plate and motor mounts if you really wanted to, it's getting the computer happy and getting the right setup to the torque converter I'd be worried about. I'd entertain a 5.3 in my Rover, if it didn't seem like more hassle than just swapping in a 4.6 Rover.
                              it dawned on me after I wrote that, I have an adapter (or at least available to me). My dad used to sell adapter rings to mate a Turbo 350 to a Buick 215.... I bet I won't even have to use the spacers if I use an LS

as for adapting electronics.... two thoughts
                              1) get a standalone from 150tunes.com or
                              2) plug and play the Land Rover computer then retune
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 11, 2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

So now I finally have the title.... which means it's time to thin the herd - I hate doing it because I really like the car, but the BMW is suddenly pretty much pointless. I also might send the Fiat away to gain some space... but I'll make that drive/turn/stop before I send it away.

Comment

Working...
                                X