• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright! Cool!

Comment

• Got it sorted out and running??
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Less than a month till Drag Weekend...and I wanna see this thing go!
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• I believe the geek will be in house tomorrow to help get the ecm bugs sorted out.
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• Excellent.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Good, I can't wait to see how this thing runs.
              1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
              1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

• Me three! Hopping foot to foot wringing my hands!

Comment

• DB, that's NOT a good mental picture! All the china in the cabinet is rattling and probably will break at any minute. Though I'm VERY eager, too.

Dan

Comment

• Folks, I know its been awhile, but we've at it intensely. And, since my last update its been a roller coaster, but I can say we now have real runner. The biggest thing is that it is great to have such amazing and committed friends as it would still be an immovable heap without Scott Clark, Tom Van Vugt, Brian Rock, Mike Swan, Karl Hardesty, Rich Pedraza, Hal Baer, Rick Elam, the teams at DIY- Autotune, TRZ, Peterson Fluid Systems, Jay Miller at AFCO and many others.

As suspected we had a wiring issue that caused the ECU to not power up. When I pulled the EFI harness from the '71 I had to pull the connector pins out of the weather-pak connectors to feed the various wires back through the firewall grommets. The various pairs, sets of three or as many as five wires were taped together with blue painters tape to ease the pull through the grommets, keep them organized and not damage or pull off the pins. Of all those wire bundles, two sets of three wires were for the front and rear wheel speed sensors. We didn't have time to mount the wheel speed sensors and I was short one which had been taken out by a backed out wheel stud. (we read the VSS off of the back side of the studs on the hub/axle flange.) In my sleep deprived state I forgot to unbundle the wheel speed wires each of which contained a ground, 5v power supply and signal wire. Together they created a perfect short on the 5v sensor power buss. The extraordinarily well designed and made DIY-Autotune Mega Squirt MS3X ECU automatically detects such problems and won't power up when it sees that kind of issue. It is great way to avoid having wiring dummies like me kill the ECU when we do something stupid.

We did not figure that problem out at 3 AM the night the ECU wouldn't light up and I had to pull the plug on DW '15. And we didn't know that the ECU has to rest 15 minutes before it will "reset" after such an issue is cured. Scott Clark got us up to speed on that feature and I started sytematically going through the wiring looking for issues and I found it when I pulled the wheel speed wires out from under the fender where they had been tucked out of the way for later when there was time to install the sensors. I was sure when I found them that it was problem. Scott flew in from Omaha last Thursday after working Larry Larson's Nova and other famous folks to help out. Without even flipping on the main battery power he connected the USB cable for the MS3X to his laptop and the ECU connected and came on line. The taped wires were the issue!

Another great feature of the Megasquirt MS3X is the ability to send test pulses to check injector/wring function and coil/wiring functions. The test menu allows you to trigger the coils or 'click' the injectors individually to be sure of firing order. We found that I had crossed up the left bank and right bank coil trigger wires which are five pin weather-pak connectors. Good thing it didn't try to start. All this took maybe 10 minutes and then after priming the oil pressure I turned the key and hit the starter switch and vroom it lit off immediately.

I adjusted the secondary throttle body's rear 'barrels' to add a bit more air and the idle settled right in at around 1150 rpm on the computer screen guage cluster. With the clean start up and no leaks after hitting as high as 195 water temp it was time to finish off the details and get ready for the PSCA TnT on Saturday.
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• Wow! Sure must have been hair yanking time for awhile..
                      Bet it feels so good getting it running!

Comment

• Yea for Scott - and you. Persistence always pays off, eventually. Now (as we say in LSR) Go fast, Be safe, Have fun!

Dan

Comment

• Anxiously waiting to hear how it ran!
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• So yeah, about that. We finally arrived at Autoclub Dragway, Fontana to the locals, and after paying $95! for two of us for TnT and Grudge we found Brian Rock's immaculate GTO in their immaculate pit space complete with Ezy Up for shade. It was 103* when we arrived. Scott claimed it was no big deal as it wasn't Midwest heat. Thankfully we had remembered to bring our EzyUp and so we expanded the now half immaculate, half trailer trash pit space so I could finish a few last minute details and get ready for tech. The car seemed happy enough putting around the pits. Did I mention that it was now set up with open headers? We all agreed it was LOUD!

I will say that with the side pipes on the 30 minute test drive had sounded weird to me the night before and I still felt that the engine just wasn't quite as crisp as usual. They were quiet which was the goal as no one looked around at us as we rolled by even though it was after Midnight Friday. We didn't get home until 3 AM as we had to swap the the street tires for the Hoosier Drag Radials and remove the side pipes. The side pipe driving VE (fuel) table needed up being way different than what was in the last tune from the engine as installed in the '71. That car's exhaust starts out 4" collectors tapering into 3.5" frame clearance (ovalish) tubes into and out of a 3.5" Dr. Gas x-pipe and then into large case 3' Dynomax Ultraflow welded mufflers over the rear end into 18"x3" resonators and out under the factory rear valance.

The side pipes taper from the 4.5" collector down to 2.5" over about 10" while making a mild turn down and out to clear the transmission/25.5B mandated cross member. It then makes a 180* loop towards the front of the car, then another 180* loop back to the 36" long Magnaflow, Cherry Bomb style muffler and then a 45* dump in front of the rear tire. (pictures soon)

The net is a quiet easy to remove exhaust system that is 'street driving only' for Drag Week type events. But man is it a cork to the engine. We had to add 7% more fuel just to get the car to climb the ramps onto the trailer at 2 AM. Good thing our shop is in a light industrial park. With the exhaust corks off we had to do some quick remapping in the Fontana pits. But it still seemed a bit off. Tech was a breeze other questions about the 2" belts which have always been legal BTW. I explained that they match the HANS device (which they do) and the guy signed off. The 25.5B cage cert goes a long way.

It was time to hit the lanes and we had to wait for about 100 bikes to be run through before the three of us who were doing TnT got to run. (Brian, a really clean new x275 Nova and us) While waiting for the bikes I had time to get the hang of buckling into the new car and using the HANS. This was also my first pass with the new to me Winters shifter and the Aussie style rear lock out line lock setup.

The plan was a decent burn out on the fresh tires then a 50% launch, short shifts and see how the car handles down track. I was a solo and the burnout was a little weak as i did;t get enough wheel speed after shifting into 2nd. I staged, the lights came down and I rolled in, it spun a little, I pedaled and got back in ti only to have it hit what felt and sounded like a rev limiter at around 5300. This was an old problem dating to the end of DW 2014 returning to haunt me. I short shifted, hit the 'rev limit' again, shirt shifted 3rd and a drove through the traps just below the 5300 number. 12.58 @ 105. Aaaugh.
                            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• Sounds like Randal's first night at Drag Week this year! his "limiter" was set around 4300, IIRC.

But hey, you made it down the strip!
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                                Sounds like Randal's first night at Drag Week this year! his "limiter" was set around 4300, IIRC.

But hey, you made it down the strip!
                                We logged spark noise getting back into his crank sensor signal on that one pass. We didn't have all the tools we needed to diagnose/isolate that (but I could see the false triggers in the built-in scope functions of the MS3). So we "Hail Mary'd" it, upgraded him to my preferred crank sensor type (Cherry GS100101), swapped the plugs (two had broken/cracked porcelain), and the problem was gone. She's ready for Drag Weekend now!
                                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                                X