No announcement yet.

X Pursuit 1987 Mustang Drag and LSR Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We has some flat mounted cushion mounts that we sometimes used at EPA on dyno setups. Unfortunately they were there when I started in 1972 and so I have no idea of where they came from. We'd sometimes weld a 90* bracket on a mounting plate (similar to the plate mounts that you showed) and put the mounts between the elephant's feet and the mount plate. For reference you might want to Google Bay City Foundry, though I think they've been bought out and may have a different name. Still, BCF should get you there. They might be the source of the cushion mounts, too - just that I never had to buy any so I don't know the source for sure.

Now I'm curious - I'll do a search.

Dan

Comment

Dan, that answer is fabulous. I'll look too.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Bill - worst case scenario would think you could run modified body mounts with a simple L shaped bracket off the plate, the donut mount under the L and a bolt through the L, donut, frame rail, and large washer nut under the whole mess - crude perhaps but probably darn effective. McMaster probably likely sells such donuts in a variety of durometer choices for vibration isolation mounts for motors / pumps / etc.
        You could run donuts top and bottom of the L, and use the long through bolt and lock nut as your travel limiter as well?
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
          how much does blocking 3/4"x1/2" of the header tubes. skew with the non o2 sensor loaded header tubes.. I'd think it add a little restriction.. and skew with your cyl balance that your test/tuning for.
          It depends on the diameter of the tube. Big tubes don't care. Small tubes care more. Removing the O2 sensors was worth 30 EMC points on our Pontiac this year, but worth zero on the Early Hemi the year before (that's like 2-3 average HP across the curve). You're doing good if the engine on the dyno repeats within that number.

But anyhow, we wouldn't be leaving the O2 sensors in there full time, just use them to get the tune right then remove them.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

At this point I'm virtually certain the the front and mid plates will be bolted in, no isolators or cushions. The trans mount will be stock rubber. The goal for this car is to make it as stiff as possible and let the suspension do the work. I will have a few more bars in the cage for stiffness and for safety than the NHRA rules require and because this will be a dual purpose Drag Week and LSR car. The big remaining question is mild steel or chrome-moly tube for the cage. SCTA prefers mild steel, NHRA doesn't care but you have to use TIG for CroMo which SCTA also does not like but they will accept an NHRA certification, but they aren't happy about it.

The weight penalty according to Wolfe Racecraft for their mild steel or CroMo pre-bent kits is 45 pounds for the standard 10 point 8.50 cert cage. I will be adding roof cross bars, an additional driver side swing bar beyond the rocker bar, roof and main hoop gussets, shock tower bars, upper control arm mount braces and lower front frame rail to forward down tube bars. So the total penalty is around 50 pounds give or take.

The mild steel benefit is I can do all the welding myself and the material cost is 40% less. I am not good enough at TIG to risk my life on my welds at this point. Decisions, decisions.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Drag Week technical question update. The questions I wrote and the
              answers I received from [email protected] are as follows:

Question 1.This is a former California CHP car that was used by now defunct Central Coast Mustangs as a project car. It has a full Saleen body kit (actual Saleen parts amazingly) and my question is whether the wing moves the car from Street Race to Super Street? As this was OEM Saleen/Ford factory sold to the public VIN number type stuff my hope is that it does not, I like the look believe it or not. See more pictures in Bang Shift Project Cars Thread under Project X-Pursuit.

Answer 1. Stock body work to include aftermarket parts sold through the dealership network is acceptable in Street Race.

Question 2. The 2013 DW Street Race allows for the following:

•Widened or fabricated wheel tubs are allowed.

Rear framerails may be notched and boxed for tire clearance but must be in the stock location, must remain structural as intended by the OE manufacturer, and may not be supported or reinforced by non-original methods (though a custom upper- shock crossmember that spans from framerail to framerail is allowed).

Relocated shock mounting points are allowed and the mounts may be custom fabricated.
              •Typical mini-tub techniques, such as relocating leaf springs inboard, are allowed.

I plan to add mini-tubs to run the 325/15 or maybe 295/60 drag radials with stock style suspension and attachment points, no rear coil overs. To clear everything I have move the upper spring pad inward along with the shock mounts. Does that create an issue?

I'm about to start the cutting and welding and want to be sure of the rules first.

2. Moving the upper stock mounting points inboard to accommodate the mini tubes is acceptable in Street Race.

Question 3. PS I would build a Gasser 56 T-Bird but I want to run a 1968 Ford Engine family as power. Any help there?

3. Gasser engines must be from an American Motor family available 67 or before.
              Last edited by CDMBill; January 10, 2014, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Rules things all make sense...congrats on getting an answer

The cage weight/ material thing....going thru the same thing myself, I decided to gain the 40 lbs for the ability to weld mild steel myself instead of having to farm it out.

But then I'm working real hard to keep weight out of as many other areas as I can (stock type motor mounts instead of plates, for example)
                Last edited by squirrel; January 10, 2014, 07:35 AM.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Good info thanks for sharing Bill - I'm surprised the SCTA doesn't like tigged chromo - that's a head scratcher as to why one set of brains prefers one over the other.

Given the yoga poses and gymnastic moves required to weld a cage particularly the bar connections near the roof - the decision would be easy for me - DOM and mig it yourself. I know weight is weight, but the dollar per pound figure would be astronomical comparing farming out the cage work for tig and doing it yourself with mig.

I was quoted a ball park of "at least $3000" to put a tight fitting 8 point into the falcon in Chromo- tig'd.
                  You could spend far less than that on a light weight set of racing wheels and get most if not all of that 50lb back.

I've decided if my car goes fast enough to need a cage - I'll mig a DOM kit in myself with removable behind the seat cross bar and swing out /removable door bars as it's a street car first and my son will go in the back seat - you don't have such constraints - I'm sure this lightweight big block bruiser will be a two seater!

Comment

I understand why they want a mild steel cage in a land speed car....it has to do with keeping together while absorbing a LOT of energy.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post

Question 3. PS I would build a Gasser 56 T-Bird but I want to run a 1968 Ford Engine family as power. Any help there?

3. Gasser engines must be from an American Motor family available 67 or before.
                      BOO.
                      Last edited by Beagle; January 10, 2014, 08:25 AM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

SBF started in 62, I think it was a 224 or something. You can now buy a ford racing "351w" block that will go up to 460 not cheap.

FE's are pretty easy to get to the mid 400 cube range as well with a survival stroker kit starting with a pretty easy to find 360 or 390

as usual, SBC is the clear $$ / cube winner for pre '67 for gasser/afx or hotrod

Comment

I find it conveniently located between the BBC and the BBF with the BBF on the wrong side of the line. Boo I say.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The Gasser class is just asking to get blown up by a big inch blown Chrysler Hemi powered altered wheelbase car.

*****back on topic*****

Bill, if you ever plan on selling this car, a chromo car will hold it's value better than a mild steel car. But, if you're like me and you buy them and keep them for years and years and years with no intent of ever selling, I'd just do the mild steel.
                            Last edited by BBR; January 10, 2014, 08:43 AM.
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                              The Gasser class is just asking to get blown up by a big inch blown Chrysler Hemi powered altered wheelbase car.
                              yep. Or a SOHC ford from the old days....
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                                Relocated shock mounting points are allowed and the mounts may be custom fabricated.
                                I sorta find this surprising, but I always kinda felt the Street Race class should be limited to stock tubs and stuff to further differentiate it from Super Street.

Building a car right now is tough. I hope you don't do something to build yourself in a corner if the rules change for 2015.
                                Last edited by BBR; January 10, 2014, 11:39 AM.
                                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Working...
                                X