No announcement yet.

X Pursuit 1987 Mustang Drag and LSR Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other little issue is we have to modify the LCA's to get the spring better in line with the relocated spring pocket and away from the tire. We cut off the spring locator ring, added a plate and moved the spring pads inwards a bit over an inch on each LCA which gets the springs nice and vertical. We still have room for the ARB links to tie into the factory frame rail but everything is somewhat cozy.The fist picture shows how much we needed to further offset the spring pad. You also see the fixed part of the LCA where it sits inside the LCA mount on the housing. The housing mounts had to be moved in a bit from stock to accomodate the slightly narrowed rear end and to clear the double bead lock wheels. They also use 5/8's bolts so we don't expect much in the way of deflection despite the side loaded spring perch. You can see the front to back alignment and the side to side alignment is now pretty good for the spring from the frame pocket to the LCA. The pictures also show the approximate location of the upper TRZ ARB connector links. And yes we are adding additional gussets to support the spring pad. Tomorrow we finsh the motor and mid-plate and finalize the engine location referenced off the new pinion. Item last is the typical high tech engineering drawings I create to plan and execute the fab work. Scary, no? I forgot to mention we have to make new lower shock mounts as the standard coil over style didn't work out for the location we wnat for the shocks.

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• I suggest that you make that cover plate removable! EASY access. A few screws or whatever fastener and maybe a little body sealer and instant fill.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Grab a HF moving blanket, they are $5- and are "padded" makes layingon hot pavement tolerable altho I use them for gravel..

Bob, good advice.

Fun story: For DW #1 in '05 I decided to rent one of those cool little fiberglass u-hual trailers to throw the slicks in along with other spare bits and pieces as the '71 convertible isn't big on luggage space. We shipped our cars to KC that year, and Jay Cermak of Enterprise Transport dropped them off at an auto storage place we'd prearranged. Ater getting a ride from the airport to the storage place, we picked up our cars and headed out into KC. Brian Rock was with me that year and we convoyed over to the U-Haul where they informed me that the little fiberglass trialer wasn't available but they had "upgraded" me to a full 5x10 box trailer. After some negotiation I managed to get a disreputable 4x8. When the U-Haul guys in the back saw what I was towing it with they realized that our stuff would be in what would amount to a 1200 mile parts shaker and they gave me 20! U-haul blankets. I still have some that we take every year we go back to the event. Best DW accessory ever. Except for beer.

P.S. the story didn't end so well as we fragged a lifter on the 15 day old motor 30 miles outside of KC on the way to St. Louis. That resulted in a very expensive tow to St. Louis and it was the origination of the rule banning being towed more the amount necessary to get safely off the road. Sorry.

Last edited by CDMBill; July 16, 2015, 06:59 PM. Reason: I can't type.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• This is the final version of the modified LCA. At our target ride height it appears that the LCA wants to be in the lowest hole on the housing bracket which yields a 2 degree up angle into the chassis. At the third hole from the top it's .5 degree down. With the UCA in the top position on the housing we've got roughly a 40" effective length to the instant center. No way to know yet where that puts the %antisquat. When the car is 100% together, full of oil, some gas and and the equivalent weight of the driver, the borrowed four corner scales will help us determine the center of gravity and the location of the 100% anti squat line. From there we'll set the initial geometry for testing, or the first passes at Gateway the Saturday before DW if that's our reality.

Comment

• We've finally got the passenger seat modified to fit the available floor pan area, fabbed the brackets and mounts and sorted the seat belt attachment points. As I think I mnetioned before the passenger seat will be attached with pit pins for easier loading/unloading and under dash maintenance. With everything in place it looks cozy, but we think we can make it livable for 1200 miles or so.

Comment

• For those who aren't familiar with the donor car so to speak, this is more or less what will power X-Pursuit for Drag Week, Drag Weekend and the odd True Street event this year.

There have been a few minor upgrades and changes but this will give an idea.

Comment

• Looks thirsty!

Comment

• Where did you get that miniature tennis ball?

DAMN!!!!!

Dan

Comment

• Thanks Bill for all the great text with accompanying photos and willingness for sharing your engineering dexterity. Your new ride is looking very high quality and from this read, it sounds like you are having as much fun building this, as you will racing it. That has to be a very rewarding.

I can’t spend anymore time here, I’ve got to leave this and go practice my Tig skills – got a long way to go before I can get results as shown in your photos…Thank again and best to you.
                    Hardy Handshakes, Swede
                    DragWeek 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 2013 with 2nd place in DD

Comment

• Thank you Mike. I can't take credit for stuff I didn't do. The mad TIG skills on the cage are those of Bryon Pryde. My skills aren't good enough to bet my life on and his fabrication work has been crucial to getting this old plow horse to look like a show pony, on the inside anyway.

Getting in and out of this thing is great exercise and really requires someone young, thin, flexible and coordinated. Since I am none of these things I look like a bear stuck in a dog house.

Comment

• This project is some serious art! Thanks for taking the time to share all the details.
                        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                        79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Today was big day for Project X-Pursuit as we got our NHRA 7.50 Chassis Certification. This week we finished up the window net mounts all the remaining cage welding, patched about 100 holes in the passenger compartment and finshed up the engine motor plate, mid-plate and related chassis reinforcement bits. I hang the window net a little different than some of I've seen by using a rod end on the fixed attachment point at the front and having the GM style seat belt latch nearer my shoulder. After hitting the button the whole thing can pivot and drop out of the way for easier entry and exit. The NHRA tech guy liked so we feel good. I did it this way on the '71 as well and the net leaves with the swing out bar on that car. No swing out bars allowed on the 8.50 and faster cages.

Comment

• silver sticker = WIN!!!!!
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              silver sticker = WIN!!!!!
                              Indeed! Great news!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                                Where did you get that miniature tennis ball?

DAMN!!!!!

Dan
                                The miniature tennis balls come from the doggy treat store and our Chihuahua, Chewy loves them. This ball however was Ben's. He is our Rottweiller. Best not to say anything negative here about those balls. He doesn't like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X