No announcement yet.

X Pursuit 1987 Mustang Drag and LSR Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So? What was the issue with the trans?
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• Time flys when you're having fun. I'm going to get this thread going again picking up where I left off on the build side of the thread, which means the rest of the wiring, interior, dash, shifter, exhaust, drive line, EFI etc etc. At the same time I'll do updates on The Road to Drag Week 2016 as Jay Brown would call it along with the testing I hope to do before we load up and head out September 7, 2016. As those who have read some of this know there have been some hiccups along the way with the AOD trans failure at Drag Weekend West 2015 last Fall and the failed start to Drag Weekend West 2016 in early Spring 2016 with the tuliped valve on cylinder #6.

You may also recall we tried and failed to get the nitrous going for DW 14 in the '71. This the gratuitous spray candy photo. We'll be revisiting this after DW '16 where we'll be running Super Street Big Block N/A.

The broken AOD was fairly simple as the reverse/OD sun gear shattered. The AOD has been utterly reliable through multiple Drag Weeks in the 4220# '71 Mustang convertible so the thinking was it would fine in the 800# lighter Fox. My best guesses at the moment are it simply failed after ten years of thrashing and two rebuilds. The first rebuild was done by Lentech after we killed the sprag in the converter testing nitrous on the dyno way back in 2007. The second after it was just worn out and needed a refresh in 2012 whoch was done by local NHRA Stock and Superstock racer and trans expert Leo Glassbrenner. I can't say anything negative about the trans and it's performance over the years. There was learning curve however and one of those items is that you can never put more than 400 ft. lbs through the overdrive sun gear. We had some wiring and switch gear issues as we thrashed to get the car done and it's possible it saw full power in OD on one of the earlier passes in Tucson during Drag Weekend 2015 when I starved it for fuel on the launch and I short shifted. I had the OD lock out switch wired with an indficator light which wasn't working most of the time in Tucson so I was hard to be sure if the OD lock out was working.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• Go Bill Go!
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• So, Mr. Fowler, did you make it?

Comment

• he's here, cars's here. Don't know if he ran today, or how he did.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Sweet. Thanks. Best of luck!
              Last edited by 1windsor1; September 12, 2016, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• Yes we are at DW 2016. Tech in and TnT were yesterday and Day is now in the books as well. The new PG/Gear Vendors set up with the 4.11 rear cog has proved "challenging" to get hooked up and out of the gate. Today with help from EFI tuning guru Scott Clark we ade some adjustments to the launch timing retard and got a clean if sluggish 1.508 60ft. time on the way to a [email protected] MPH. The MPH is a new high for the car and came by hitting the Gear vendors at roughly the 1000' lights. I was running into the rev limiter on earlier passes and the car was stalled at 146.

With the handle we now have on the launch we'll sneak up on the launch timig parameters and slope and see if we can get to the high 1.20's or low 1.30's the car should be capable of, especially with the new Hoosier DR2 325/50/15"s.
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• Oh, we are running Super Street Big Block N/A and are in second or maybe third place after day one.

Comment

• Go Bill, Go!
                    Glad to hear you are up and flying!

Comment

• Very cool! I'm living vicariously thru you so please don't let me down.

Dan

Comment

• I saw him run a little slower today, but we left early so don't know if he made another pass. Nice day today, Norwalk is a neat place

I also saw John and Douglas
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Just saw his live interview... Broken Powerglide. Dagnabit!

Sorry for your luck, Bill.

Comment

• DAMMIT BILL! Why ya gotta break my heart!
                            Better luck next time!

Comment

• That's what you get for putting Chevy parts in a Ford!

Just teasin' of course. Sorry for the rotten luck.

Dan

Comment

• Hello Bill, Swede here.
                                Sorry about the Trans issue, my son and I were watching the live feed when you entered Brian and DF's booth. By your happy persona and as always your big grins I thought for sure you found something simple and only needed Brian to announce the needed Part Number to the flock in the Pits.
                                I sincerely hope your remaining DragWeek makes the turn toward better...

PS talk to the Gear Vendor folks - order their torque converter to GV direct kit and don't let on that you have no reverse - trans problems solved ! (Oh, until you need to backup)

Hardy Handshakes, Swede
                                DragWeek 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 2013 with 2nd place in DD

Comment

Working...
                                X