X Pursuit 1987 Mustang Drag and LSR Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Pursuit 1987 Mustang Drag and LSR Project

This my new to me 1987 Mustang project car. It's name comes from it's history as one of the California Highway Patrol pursuit Mustangs for the late 80's. And, the license plate to match so what the heck.

The goal is a double threat drag race and LSR car which as usual is a series compromises form the get go. Oh well.

Here a couple of pictures as it arrived at our little shop.
    Attached Files
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

More pictures. now to take it all apart.
    Attached Files
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Cars clean. Should be alot lighter than the other mustang. Are the wing and front bumper something specail for the highway partol or is it a saleen wing?

Whats the motor plans?
      Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Yeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssss

I have been dying for you to start a project thread on this car .

Double YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Hey, CSA Diplomat wheels from Australia! Those are the 2nd generation of that particular wheel, I had a couple of the original sets plus one set like that for my 87 Mustang back in the early 90s. They were one of the only reasonably priced 16x8 wheels that you could get for the Fox 4 on 108mm pattern. Here in the Toronto area there was a custom wheel shop, and they would bring in container loads of CSA wheels from Aus, made blank, and then drill the stud pattern and machine the mounting pad for the offset here.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the car ... which reminds me, I really need to get back on my 89!

cheers
          Ed
          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

The wheels are cool. I wasn't familiar with them and their spin on center cap; it took me a few minutes to figure them out. These are five lug as the car must have been converted in its early days.

I'm told the car was bought from a CHP auction in late '89 as one of three that were used as test vehicles by Central Coast Mustangs, a big player in the early 5.0 Mustang craze. It was outfitted then with the Saleen body kit and was variously road raced, drag raced and generally beat upon.

The third owner, my two time Drag Week co-pilot Floyd Azlan, bought the car from Central Coast in 2002 and started a longe term project to update the car as an all around street car. He added a stout 351 cu. in. 8.5:1 short block to the mix with fully ported World Products iron heads and Extrude Honed upper and lower intake manifolds and a Paxton blower. The early EFI blown motor passed its 500+ hp through a Centerforce clutch to a Tremec TKO500 spinning 3.55 cogs and 31 spline axles in the 8.8 third member.

With the car looking good and running strong it attracted the attention of one of Floyd's neighbors who just had to have it at any price and with Floyd shopping for one the new Shelby Mustangs X-Pursuit moved to its fourth owner in 2006.

The fourth owner's fortunes soured with the economy in 2007 and he parked it under some trees where it sat for the next six years. Floyd offered to rescue the abandoned pony and it was pulled out on a flat bed.

The tow truck and former glory in front of Floyd's Frosty in McCloud, CA.
            Attached Files

Comment

During it's hibernation, X-Pursuit had it's blower, upper intake and distributor stolen along with the shifter and some gauges. Critters found their way in and turned the interior into a home for squirrels and pack rats and God knows what else.

Snow loads and maybe bears caved in the roof and broke the side mirrors. As a result the interior is mostly trashed. The good news is the pack rats made excellent progress pulling out the carpet underlayment and the other insulation that will be removed anyway. Some miscellaneous parts ended up in the passenger foot well.

Did I mention the smell?
              Attached Files

Comment

The engine injested some water while it sat in the woods requiring disassembly. It also showed some poor attempts at preservation as two ports were filled with some kind of light weight oil that smelled like Wesson. Two others showed water damage and the plugs also showed some rust in a few holes.

Opening it up showed nice parts on the heads; ARP Studs, Comp Magnum rockers and one peice pushrods. The pistons validated the low miles theory that the car wasn't driven much after Floyd's build up and the subsequent sale.

The iron heads were fully ported as expected, but two cylinders had rust from water invasion and two contained the mystery oil. Fingers crossed the cylinder walls will clean up with Scotch Brite and the rings and pistons can be cleaned up.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by CDMBill; December 23, 2013, 07:57 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Comment

Some more old school under the hood ... I think those are Central Coast, or maybe Global West caster plates, and the good old Kelsey-Hayes adjustable prop valve that every Fox Mustang with a brake upgrade got back then! Passenger strut tower looks like it was massaged a bit with the swing press to clear the intake pipe from the blower to throttle body.

Tan interior ... needs to go in the trash anyway, regardless of condition! LOL

cheers
                  Ed
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

The chassis plan at this point is pretty vanilla. In front; tubular K-Member, manual steering rack, manual brakes with Baer light weight drag brakes pulled off my '71.

In the rear, adjustable upper and lower control arms locating a home built narrowed, braced, 9" housing which was originally under the '71 as well. I like cutting and welding so it'll get mini-tubs, a shock bar and ARB to clear 325/50's. I've done some test fitting with 15x10 wheels with 6.5 back spacing and 275/60's fit easily; 295/65's are just a bit tall, 295/60's require some hammer clearnacing and the 325's need tubs. 315/60's may just be too damn big. Rather than just bash on it to get the bigger tires under it I'll do the clearance work so it can drive on big tires just in case trailers are too 'wussie' for Drag Week in the future.

But first I have to remove some history. The car has ancient sub frame connectors which were appeantly made from super rust-matic steel. At some point the car also had a Panard bar and the chassis bracket remains. It was also made from the easy rust metal.

The exhaust has some nice clean looking Dyno Max turbo style mufflers connected by the ever present rust never sleeps tubing. (prize for the first BS to explain the orgination of the "turbo muffler" concept)

The rear shocks may be Koni's and the rear brakes are supposed to be Ford's CHP rear brake package.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Engine choices are still up in the air. I may do a quick hone and go on the 351 and scrounge up a used Paxton or Votech that fits the remaining bracketry along with a swap meet manifold. These parts are pretty available at places like the Long Beach Swap Meet and I'll be hitting it soon.

That would allow me to keep the man pedal set-up and have decent car that might qualify for Drag Week Daily Driver. Most of the foregoing will also work at standing mile events and El Mirage's 1.3 mile course. LSR stuff is less dependent on weight savings and more on good aero management.

There is a large mass air inlet hiding in the fender with a large, filthy, K&N filter attached. There may have been an MSD box here, judging by the brackets and isloator mounts. And, a Snow Performance Water Methanol pump is hiding from the thieves under the battery tray.

There is a bunch of pretty trashed push lok hose for the return style fuel system along with the usual forest of hoses and bizarre devices of the metazoic era of aftermarket EFI.

Comment

Pictures of EFI stuff. And rusty stuff. And corroded stuff.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Or I may go with this.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looking forward to see your progress on this car. I always liked the 87-93 notchbacks. Without wings and cowl scoops, just personal tastes. Have fun with it.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

In the 60's Corvair had a turbo motor and the "turbo" muffler on that is the granddaddy of current turbo style muflers...

Comment

Working...
                              X