83 Malibu Wagon - LS swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83 Malibu Wagon - LS swap

After 7 years of neglect time to revive the wagon, as much as I enjoy working/driving the '51 gmc - I miss driving the wagon - its just an excellent long distance cruiser.

The 406 was having issue which is why I parked it so 3 years ago I got a decent deal on a LQ4 6.0 with LS6 top end and a comp cam ..

So with the '51 in deep storage - its time to get going on the swap.

We pulled the front clip off to avoid damaging the paint - this is the one vehicle I'm picky about on finish etc. Its base/clear and color sanded/polished.

The 406 came out today and the LS is sitting in the hole bolted to the 700R4, which highlighted a number of areas that will require work.

First off the LQ4 oil pan hangs down ~4" below the cross member so it time to get a swap oil pan - I wanted to wait and verify how bad the protrusion was before spending $$$.

Also decided to order the Dingo engine mounts which allow use of the factory clamshell frame mounts - this will save hours of grief fighting with the bolts. Also will allow me to bolt in a SBC again if I so desired with out fighting with the mounts.

Looks like the engine is going to have to move forward ~ 1" to clear the heater box. The right rear coil mount boss on the valve cover interferes with the A/C heater box. It the car had no A/C this would not be a problem... but I'm getting too old to not have A/C.

That all for now - I'll start posting pix.. soon. Also will keep a build log of parts that I use including all the small stuff that everyone forgets to mention.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by efi-diy; January 14, 2014, 09:24 PM.

PICS!!!!!!!

Dan

Comment

Can you remote mount the coil to prevent interference issues with the HVAC box on the rear passenger side?
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yep will have to do that even with the engine forward an inch.

Comment

Going to be following this regularly -- surprised I'm even thinking about it but eventually replacing the 80 El Camino's 1st gen NA stroker SB/TH350 combo with an injected LS/700R4 is starting to have appeal.
          Last edited by mlcraven; January 15, 2014, 05:01 PM.
          Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Guys like me would just remove the coil, trim the coil bracket down to the 3 coils then mount the 4th coil there on the evap box.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Kinda stalled right now - waiting for parts but its supposed to be really warm here tomorrow (52* F) so might even be able to get the power washer out and clean the frame... un-real for Mid Jan here...

Comment

anything above freezing in January is a sign that God wants you to get something done outside.... way to take advantage of it.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                  anything above freezing in January is a sign that God wants you to get something done outside.... way to take advantage of it.
                  It is about 45* here, bit foggy with the NE wind off the mountains.. Bone chilling!
                  Without the fog or NE wind it would be tshirt working weather..
                  Got the barrel going red hot outside... I'm cleaning the fish pond as we lost all but one fish a few weeks ago due to 6* weather
                  Man that is a cold stinky job!

Comment

engine bay degunge...

Here the city has tough ordinances against washing your car in the street with anything but water - and with an asshole neighbor (I start the wagon and they call the cops @#$!@#$@ ) I decided to do it right and if they called - it would be the last time (they have already been warned about un-needed calls - one more and the city will black list them).

So I got a plastic drop sheet and used some left over lumber to create a catch basin under the front of the car up to the firewall.

Using a garden sprayer, I started with varsol, sprayed everything down, a quick brush and a second spray with varsol. The changed over to simple green in the sprayer and wet everything down, scrub and wet again with simple green.

Once done I soaked the mess up with floor dry. When buddy comes over we'll fold the drop sheet up and bag it to take up to the hazmat site next time I drop fluids off.

Next weekend I'll pressure wash the front end with water - with pictures of the containment - I really hope the assholes call the city.. GOTCHA
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by efi-diy; January 19, 2014, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Compared to working on the 4200 powered truck where everything is custom designed and built - at least here its a well traveled road - just a bit wallet painful.. at least all the part I need to do the physical install are ordered and if all goes well here before the end of the month. With the mechanical parts here I'll be able to get the engine physically installed and get the front clip back on to start the wiring process. I'll need to "undo" some of the wiring changes I made for the MS 406/MSD install.

Comment

Weekly update...

Engine compartment is cleaned up.. went to picknpull to get parts..
                        PCM
                        PCM mount
                        PCM wiring harness
                        water pump bolts

Buddy dropped off the injectors & corvette water pump.

The engine mounts, holley A/C mount and misc. parts are waiting for pick up in Sweet Grass MT, waiting for GM to cough up the front end drive parts and oil pan. Hope every thing is there by next weekend.

Need to find an PCM wiring diagram for a 2005 GMC savanna van 6.0 with 4l60e. If anyone has a diagram I could use it...

Comment

will a 2003 work?

there are several here: http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...iagrams-4.html

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Parts have arrived - so this weekend I'll get the engine installed, with the FEAD on. Once thats done - sort out the transmission x member. Headers will get trial install. My guess is its going to be a fight between getting the engine to clear the heater box and the headers hitting something TBD.....

Comment

pictures, we need pictures
                              otherwise, we post pictures for you

Click image for larger version

Name:	00909_lbS45y6Cx4s_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	876150

and yes, it's for sale
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 4, 2014, 09:46 PM.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X