1981 Caprice Single Turbo 4.8L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL ^^ Thats funny right there!

I actually had to buy storage because of bandwidth or something through Photobucket? (too many views of the photos because I had crap posted everywhere like a dummy?) After I purchased the storage and organized everything all my links went dead

Comment

Originally posted by bfurches View Post
      LOL ^^ Thats funny right there!

I actually had to buy storage because of bandwidth or something through Photobucket? (too many views of the photos because I had crap posted everywhere like a dummy?) After I purchased the storage and organized everything all my links went dead
      I did as well after I posted pics of a friend's '57 Chevy he put up for sale on Ebay. Those pics had something like 100,000 views by the next day.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nice work Eric!
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I have a sneak peak for you folks of my stock-location fuel cell. If my math pans out, it should hold 16 gallons (give or take a tad due to displacement of things such as the pump and baffles).

HUGE thanks to Rick from RicksTanks.com for answering all of my technical questions and setting me up with some amazing fabrication components! Certainly recommend this guy if you are in the market for a tank!

I built this one with .125 wall aluminum. Submerged in the cell will be a Holley 12-1400 Dominator pump. In the picture it is laying on the floor, but I have since built a plate which will get welded to the forward most wall (to keep weld heat penetration marks off the underside).

Fuel system will certainly be overkill, however it should keep me fed down the road if I ever swap out the bullet or the hairdryer. Consists of -10AN feed, split into -8AN at the Holley rails, out into the Holley billet regulator, and -8AN back to the cell.

Last edited by bfurches; January 18, 2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I need to order a few things for my interior, and I am curious if anyone has some insight...

Specifically in regards to a carpet.
            The carpet in my car is shot and cut-up. I would like to find a solid replacement...but price seems to be all over the place. Does anyone here have any experience that could point me in a good direction? I am not looking for ultra thick and plush....but I don't want something that is going to fall apart the first season either.

Thanks

Comment

the ACC rug I got for my Mustang was decent enough... how's the backing on yours? Their price wasn't "cheap" but it wasn't out of control either.

Last edited by Beagle; January 21, 2014, 04:38 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I remembered your build, all I remembered was you had a 355 and a son that liked to sit in the driver seat. looking forward to more progress.
                Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I've had good luck with ACC too. Expect to have to trim the edges but that's normal - they all leave a bit extra in case you have a weird car.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    the ACC rug I got for my Mustang was decent enough... how's the backing on yours? Their price wasn't "cheap" but it wasn't out of control either.

http://www.accmats.com/Commerce/Search.aspx
                    Just checked them out, price isn't bad at all for a decent product. The backing on my rug is heavy as hell being stock (really thick black rubber), and I wouldn't mind loosing a little weight...so if the backing on the ACC carpet isn't crazy but durable, I would be happy.

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
                    I remembered your build, all I remembered was you had a 355 and a son that liked to sit in the driver seat. looking forward to more progress.
                    Thanks

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    I've had good luck with ACC too. Expect to have to trim the edges but that's normal - they all leave a bit extra in case you have a weird car.

Dan
                    Sounds good...thanks for the insight.
                    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Ordered a column kit today...and I wasnt to happy about it.

I attempted to modify the stock unit, but she wasn't having it.

Ended up ordering a kit from Jerry Bickel with a Strange SFI quick-release hub. I am going to try and keep everything encased in the stock shrouds to have it as "stock-appearing" as possible. I may even machine a hub to reuse my stock steering wheel and keep it "quick release" on the Strange piece...

Wish me luck! LOL

Comment

Sweet! Tell us more about your welding machine and techniques please! I've not done as much aluminum as I'd like - and need more tips / tricks.

The tank and fuel system appear to be built for serious battle!
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        Sweet! Tell us more about your welding machine and techniques please! I've not done as much aluminum as I'd like - and need more tips / tricks.

Tank does have some serious baffling.. Reminds me of those saddle tanks on semi's... Those have some serious baffles! But nothing like this!

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          Tank does have some serious baffling.. Reminds me of those saddle tanks on semi's... Those have some serious baffles! But nothing like this!
                          I wish I could take credit for the welding, but unfortunately...that is the ONLY part of the build that is not me haha.
                          If you are familiar with Grand Nationals, then you may know of Cotton's Performance in Agawam, MA. Brian Cotton is a really good friend of mine, and he handles all my welding. I fabricate everything, bring it to him marked...and he works his magic. Mike from Robinson's Race Cars has also had his hands in a lot of the welding (i.e. motor plates and battery box). Both of these guys are amazing people and phenomenal fabricators. I am fortunate to have them as friends.

Here is an example from when I fabricated my breather tank...

As for the fuel tank....the entire fuel system is way overkill for my application, but it was one of those things where I wanted to build it and build it once. Remember, I am using a pump capable of supporting 1400hp, so it is extremely important to make sure it doesn't aerate, hence the baffles. Rick from Ricks Tanks answered a lot of my questions and shared some of his experience and insight... Without his assistance, no way I would have been comfortable tackling this type of project. It has been a major learning experience to say the least lol.

I should have some pretty cool updates by the end of the week.
                          Last edited by bfurches; January 22, 2014, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Very pretty work, for sure. I'm going to take a stab at MIG welding stainless for my exhaust pipe. I have the wire and the MIG so now I'll just have to see how that comes together. Pipe is on order.

Dan

Comment

That is so clean looking! Nice job.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Not a lot of progress this week...however I did design a hub to adapt my Strange Quick Release to the stock steering wheel. My friend was kind enough to blast it out on his lathe as I was having a few issues on my initial piece with the counter-bore on the back side. Regardless, heres where im at....

...that completely solves my dilemma of not wanting to run a Grant or other aftermarket wheel.

It's the little things in the project like this that keep me going haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X