Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Caprice Single Turbo 4.8L

What's going on guys & gals??

Back in Decemeber of '12 I had posted some pics and info of my car over here (as well as a few other sites lol). My project has really evolved over the past year, and my recent Photobucket crash left my thread dead in the water (as far as the photos are concerned!) I figured it would be a little easier to simply start a new thread as opposed to going back and repairing or updating the original...

Anyways....on to the good stuff

1981 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan
    "The White Whale" ...(soon to be a shark)?

Recently painted Subaru Satin White Pearl. Still acquiring parts and clips to finish putting the exterior back together.
    -------------------------

Engine:
    -200k Mile Junkyard 2004 4.8L LR4
    -Holley Modular Mid Rise 90mm
    -LS9 Valve Springs
    -Comp's Smallest Thumpr Cam
    -Fresh Gaskets & Paint

Boost Setup:
    -GTO Manifolds V-Banded to 2.25" Flipped Up & Forward
    -2.25" T4 Crossover
    -Older Ported Garrett/ Precision 70mm
    -Turbonetics RG45
    -Ebay Intercooler
    -3" Charge Pipes
    -Fender Exhaust Dump (via electric cutout)

Transmission:
    -4L80E
    -TCI Trans-Brake Reverse Pattern Manual Valvebody
    -Stock MASSIVE Converter & Crossed Fingers

^Above is a few of the more important details of the combination. Instead of boring you with a bunch of "history" or progress pictures...I will just share a few of roughly where I am today.

Thanks for looking.

Not your first rodeo I take it....lol. Looks good.

Comment

this is BANGshift - we thrive on the boring details. Looks like a really elegant install, keep us posted.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I predict Brian's heart attack in 3, 2, 1....

Looks awesome, waiting for updates!
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
          I predict Brian's heart attack in 3, 2, 1....

Looks awesome, waiting for updates!
          My thoughts as well..

Also awaiting for updates!

Comment

LOL.. got tree'd. My first thought was Brians wife better be ready to dial 911 when he opens this thread...

The car looks sinister...cant wait to see more.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I've noticed on here from time to time that some people list a part as "ebay" intercooler , "ebay" turbo or "ebay" headers . I take it this means "Chinese".
              Last edited by langleylad; January 17, 2014, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Great googlie mooglies - please tell me you're keeping black wheels on it and the welds are just for mock up - the sleeperifickness of this thing with black wheels is epic.

On the ebay thing - it may be chinese, closeout, who knows - probably translates to "cheaper than anywhere else" at least it does usually for me.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Brian is actually local to me and he is familiar with the car (mainly because of all the questions and random ideas i bombard him with on a regular basis LOL).

Thanks for the kind words, and if anyone want's photos or anything specific let me know...
                  I have owned the car since 2008 (with a brief lapse when I sold it to a local then bought it back lol), and I am fortunate enough to have more photos and documentation on my builds then you could shake a stick at!.

It has had...
                  -Iron Headed SBC 350
                  -Iron Headed Forged SBC 355
                  -Some hopped up 305 (that local owner) with a stick
                  -All Aluminum 5.3L
                  ...and of course now the turbo 4.8L LOL

Originally posted by langleylad View Post
                  I've noticed on here from time to time that some people list a part as "ebay" intercooler , "ebay" turbo or "ebay" headers . I take it this means "Chinese".
                  ...Like my Holley intake manifold?

Not a whole lot of items built in this country anymore....hence why a good 90% of my car has been built vs bought...however....when it comes down to big ticket items....I am on a budget just like everyone else (the picture of my crappy garage should give you a good indication). Even when you think you are buying american (again....my Holley products for example)...if you dig deep enough...you are likely to get slapped in the face from some foreign country whether it be China, Taiwan, Canada, or Indonesia. Unfortunate as it is, I am sure the parts on my car are not much different then the items I could find throughout your house.

Comment

Canada hardly fits in with the other three , but I am bias ( Canadian ) . Thank god for companies like Edelbrock " made in the USA " .

Comment

Originally posted by langleylad View Post
                      Canada hardly fits in with the other three , but I am bias ( Canadian ) . Thank god for companies like Edelbrock " made in the USA " .
                      Even with Edelbrock you have to wonder...

For example....who manufactures their ls ignition controller for carb applications that they brand as their own? (MSD).

...and where are MSD's parts manufactured?

...just sayin...

Comment

When it's up and running, take it over to Brian's house, let see it and hear; but don't let him ride in it. Tell him it's motivation.

He won't see this thread until Monday anyways.
                        Last edited by Scott Liggett; January 17, 2014, 06:12 PM.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          When it's up and running, take it over to Brian's house, let see it and hear; but don't let him ride in it. Tell him it's motivation.
                          As soon as it is running first place I am hitting is the track, but I am sure I could schedule a return pit-stop haha.

Here are a few from earlier this year when I was still rocking the aluminum 5.3 pre-paint.

Last edited by bfurches; January 17, 2014, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Thats a pretty clean install....I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by bfurches View Post
                              My project has really evolved over the past year, and my recent Photobucket crash left my thread dead in the water (as far as the photos are concerned!)
                              Losing photos sucks, and after reading this I rooted around and found some of your images cached on other sites. Here's a collage of your Caprice photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bf_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	875600

And that turbo 4.8 set-up is badass! Can't wait to see this one finished~!

Comment

Working...
                              X