No announcement yet.

1981 Caprice Single Turbo 4.8L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work! it's nice to have capable talented friends!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Steering column is all fabricated. Just need to clean it all up now and slap some paint on it.

I also bent up the primary tube for the transmission crossmember today. Going to have quite a bit of work tomorrow to get it all finished up. 1-5/8 Chromolly clearance for single exit exhaust.

Comment

sweet! what do you use for a tubing bender?

Comment

Quiet the combination of bends. Looks like it would deflect from the weight though. What wall did you use?

Comment

My buddies bender is an Ercolina. Its a really asty machine that makes whipping up bends cake.

Typical spec .083 wall.

You have to remember with my setup, the crossmember is realistically more of just a guide. The majority of the weight is supported at the bellhousing/ mid-plate...so in the end the transmission just would be caught by the crossmember in the event of a bellhousing failure. More of a safety item, and structural piece between the frame rails.

Comment

Made some awesome headway this weekend.

Transmission cross-member is finished and painted. It came out really nice, and the gussets on the end mounts act as keys when installing. Bolts right to the OE location and offers some really nice clearance.

Brian Cotton sure can weld....major props for sticking my pile of parts together!

Finished up the whole nose of the car too.
              Intercooler end tank is welded up, mounts are painted, fan for the radiator is hidden and installed, rad is final mounted, pump is braced, rad hoses are done, front end is all bolted up.....its coming together pretty quick now!

The intercooler is hidden a little better then I had anticipated. The grill draws more attention...

Comment

That is a very elegant set up. Have you thought about the heat from the exhaust soaking the intake piping? Maybe wrap both?

Comment

Sorry, didnt realize you had a mid plate. Looks frickin kool.

Comment

Spectacularly clean set up. Nice job.

One thing to note. A pusher fan will actually block air going through the radiator at freeway speeds. Make sure you have a way to shut it off from inside the car.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hiroshima1320 View Post
                      That is a very elegant set up. Have you thought about the heat from the exhaust soaking the intake piping? Maybe wrap both?
                      I am planning on having a quality high-heat or jet coat done eventually on all the piping under the hood...but for now I am just going to keep a close eye on the IAT. Hopefully it won't be too out of whack...I just am not a fan of the wrap appearance.

Originally posted by AFFORDILLAC View Post
                      Sorry, didnt realize you had a mid plate. Looks frickin kool.
                      Not many people do! Way overkill for my power levels haha. Thanks

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      Spectacularly clean set up. Nice job.

One thing to note. A pusher fan will actually block air going through the radiator at freeway speeds. Make sure you have a way to shut it off from inside the car.
                      Thank you for pointing that out. I will keep that in mind.
                      __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Down-pipe is almost done to dump out the fender. In the mean time...heres the new ride height with the Draglites and 26's

Comment

Down-pipe is finished. Wastegate dump is also done. It looks CRAZY under the hood!

The car also saw daylight today for the first time in a LONG time which was cool!

Comment

That car is badass

Comment

The front marker light becomes the new exhaust exit - pure brilliance!

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                              The front marker light becomes the new exhaust exit - pure brilliance!
                              hope he has a friend at the inspection station..

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X