Chaser Racing (Ver2.0) 1970 Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaser Racing (Ver2.0) 1970 Mustang

Well here we go again (hence the Ver2.0) Been about 6 yrs since my last race car. Back then I was going as fast as possible in left hand circles. 6yrs later I left circle track heaven of WI and moved to CO where the weather is nice and hp is hard to come by. I guess I was bored and my wife was sick of me and told me I needed another project. Well after a long search I found something that interested me. 1970 Mustang with some work already done. Truth be told I have no idea about this straight line stuff but there is only one way to learn.
    So here is my new project. Not eactly sure what I have here but I think its a good start. Goal is to get into the 10's.

Its not perfect but nice enough for this guy

Rear

Front

In

welcome, looks like a great start to a project
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Cool looking car to start with. I took my car out to Pueblo years back and went from running the 12.0 index to 13.50 index...that air does make a difference. Have fun!
      Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Welcome! What are the Drive line plans?
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Brings back lots of memories - my first car was a '70 mustang. Looks like you've got some serious plans with welded backbone on the 9" and the cage... sweet.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Great foundation to start a build on....I see lots of nice goodies in there. Can't wait to see the progress pictures!
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
              Welcome! What are the Drive line plans?
              Thanks for all the welcomes. The plans are to build or buy a 408 stroker capable of 2-3 hundo staged shots of nitrous with a Performance C4 behind it. Electronics, solenoid shift, you know, all the stuff I know nothing about.
              I currently have a 79 351w runner but don't want to spend the money on the internals with a block that cant handle what I want to throw at it. So working on other things on the on the car until I figure out what direction I want to go with the engine. This straight line stuff I am still figuring out.

Comment

If you are at the front end of the nitrous plan, a single fogger set up with a progressive controller can be more cost effective and easier to tune in terms of % at the hit (launch) as opposed to multiple plate set ups or mixed plate/fogger deals. It simplifies plumbing and and issues with multiple pressure regulators etc.

You have good rear suspension foundation with the Cal-tracs, ran ho shocks and split mono-leafs. You could run 8's with that set-up and it is easy to tune once you have the basics down.

What is the front suspension situation?
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

How to run 10's in a 70 Mustang, Exhibit A: http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...s-1970-Mustang

edit: ah hell you already found it.
                  Last edited by BBR; January 29, 2014, 10:55 AM.
                  Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                  1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                  1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                  1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                  1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                  1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                    If you are at the front end of the nitrous plan, a single fogger set up with a progressive controller can be more cost effective

What is the front suspension situation?
                    Any info on that type of nitrous setup would be great.
                    edit...nevermind goggle is my friend....thanks for the idea, its a great option)

The front end has some 90/10's with ACP components

Last edited by kchaser; January 29, 2014, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Welcome to BS! I've got a 66 coupe that I've been making into more of a corner carver since I'm in what's called "The Endless Mountain" area of NE PA. Some of the aftermarket suspension components I've bought would probably work well on your 70 for weight transfer. I have spring perches that have roller bearings instead of rubber bushings as well as my lower control arm. With out the binding of the rubber bushings the suspension moves so easily. I can do the full travel by hand with no spring. Despite going up in spring rate, my car now rides softer. CDMBILL has a suspension basically like mine, he has more experience then me so he can give you the right poop. If you want sources for suspension parts let me know.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

My engine plans may have changed a bit. I found a 514 SCJ short block. Just not sure what would all be involved to get a BB into this thing. Researching and contemplating....

Comment

Cadillac 500!!!!!

Cant wait to see what you do with this...keep the updates coming....
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I've seen 69 & 70's with 385 series motors in them.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Well the "I can't wait" bug got me. The plan was to wait for my piggy bank to grow so I could have a angry drag engine built. But with the car sitting in one corner and a 351w that I have had for yrs sitting in the other, I figured I should introduce the two.
                              I had this 351w build about 7yrs ago. Ran it in my73 bronco and after 200miles had an issue with a crank bearing. Pulled the engine and it's sat since then. Figured for the the short term I would put a little coin into this engine and I could shake the rest of the car down. So I took it apart today, crank will go in next week to get turned. New pan, pickup, headers, electronics on order. It won't be the 10sec car I wanted this yr but With a little nitrous it might be okay. Well this is the first engine "I" built so who knows.

Last edited by kchaser; February 22, 2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X