1982 Fairmont Futura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Fairmont Futura

I just picked up a 82 Fairmont Futura as a daily driver from my friend with only 86k Miles.

He has owned the car for the past several years and always took good structural care of it (oiled the chassis every season before winter, kept up on suspension components and etc).

While the exterior appearance of the faded paint may be deceiving, the car is in excellent overall condition. To be honest, I would love to just lightly sand down patina from the pinstripe-up and re clear it with a flattening agent to keep the amazing look lol.

Its currently powered by an anemic 200ci 6 and 3spd auto (c5?). Bucket seat floor shift is pretty cool for the chassis....and lets be realistic.....it's a Mustang underneath. There aren't a whole lot of parts that wouldn't fit with a few turns of the good ol' wrench!

I havent done a whole lot to the car as I have only owned it/ been driving it for a week, but I did address the diving board bumpers!

Before:

After:

...what a difference it made!
    I tucked the rear as well, but I need to take some photos.

I am not going to go too in-depth with the plans at the moment....but the window sticker from the donor car should give you a good idea ;)

nice car man, almost too nice to modify.

I love the funky fox chassis cars. my parents had an old fox chassis LTD when I was a kid. It was brown, missing the hubcaps and old by the time they got it.
    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Originally posted by bfurches View Post
      I am not going to go too in-depth with the plans at the moment....but the window sticker from the donor car should give you a good idea ;)

Very cool. I'm looking forward to this one.
      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Neat!

Did you drill the impact absorbers to compress them? Or make new brackets?
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelty View Post
          nice car man, almost too nice to modify.
          Almost too nice to daily drive! I will just make sure to keep the salt off it and the undercarriage oiled.

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
          Very cool. I'm looking forward to this one.
          Might move a little slow because the Caprice is still priority...but will make steady progress none the less.

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          Neat!

Did you drill the impact absorbers to compress them? Or make new brackets?
          In the front, there is a locating hole for the brackets 2.5" rearward. I was able to slide the whole shock into the rail and simply rebolt them after knocking a little stopper pin down.

For the rears, I drilled, drained, and bolted the shocks together after compression, which also gained 2.5"

I can get pics of anything you need.

Comment

I like where this is going.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by bfurches View Post

Cool project. So you're putting the 200 I6 and C5 into the Navigator? I think it'll do way better then 17 MPG on the hiway.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                I like where this is going.
                Not a blue oval guy but always wondered why these, and a couple other body styles, didn't get more love.

quietly lurking to where it goes...
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Fantastic. I can understand wanting to ditch the less than stellar inline - but a 32v Modular? whoa. Atleast you're not putting an LS into it.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

My parents had one of those when I was growing up. Bought it new. It was baby blue with a column shift. That 200 was a complete turd on the hills here in western PA.
                    Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      but a 32v Modular?
                      Out of the box 300 HP 355 ft/lb, and a little boost away from a whole lot more! Are you going with the OEM ECM or aftermarket?
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Right - see Sean Fling's wagon on DW with the blower.... NICE!

I think Sean's engine was from a Lincoln too. Tight fit in the fairlane - you'll have more room in the fox I bet.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

My first cars twin, tan and brown exterior and a tan vinyl interior...mine was a 4spd tho....kid in town ran a blue one with a snotty 302 in it...I wanted to build one like his but my old man was a stick in the mud.
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

(cough ... turbo the 200... cough)

I love these old cars. I'm partial to the box top (big window) whatever they are called, but it doesn't really matter that much to me. They've got a sick little following down here that keep the used value kinda high - surprise!

Interesting read on the bumpers, sure makes it look a little less dorky. Sorry, I mean that in the absolute nicest way I can. While I love these cars, I have yet to meet a girl who does. Good news is, the cops will probably leave it alone too.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Absolutely, this is going to be a cool thread. I've always liked the Fairmont, Mustang underpinnings and sleeper body. I like the fact too that the Nav motor *should* fit pretty much. Glad to see one of them being used.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X