1982 Fairmont Futura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the interest guys...

I am not a Ford Guy myself, but I couldn't pass up this chassis. The car was too clean, and it really reminds me of a baby 2-door Caprice. I just have an odd knack for these types of cars.

I put a lot of time and thought into the drive-line. I wanted something more modern with injection, and I wanted to stay Ford...(you can buy a damn sail boat with an lsx in it. Regardless of how good those motors are, i'm just getting tired of seeing them)...but most of all, it needed to be relatively cheap! I want to be able to use as many OE parts as possible.

With the 5.4, I will be building a swap harness and using SCT as a tuning solution. As mentioned above at 300hp, these motors are pretty stout right out of the box, and respond very well to intake & exhaust changes from what I have seen. Forged crank, common 4.6 sized bore, long rod and 4 valves per cylinder...they have quite a bit going for them.

A solid 80% of this swap will be compiled from the salvage yards (Complete 4.6 front k-frame, control arms, spindles and brakes; Navigator drive-line; E-Series aluminum drive shaft chopped down; Mustang 8.8 ....you get the idea!). The big question at this point is how the transmission is going to fit! The 2wd 4R100 has been successfully swapped into the newer generation Mustangs without tunnel modification...I am hoping for similar results! While this transmission is all sorts of overkill and fairly heavy...it should go hand in hand with a bullet-proof daily driver.

Comment

I have a 4R100 behind my 7.3 diesel - I think you're going to need to do a bit of work to a fox trans tunnel to fit that big muther in there - but it won't be drastic as far as I've seen.

So you'll use the K member from an SN95 '96 or newer, the navi engine/trans, and a mustang 8.8... sounds like a great combination to me! I wonder if the primary pipes (with cats, O2s, etc) would fit into the fox chassis?

I would be tempted to start out with the factory harness and computer - but PATS etc may make that more of a headache than it's worth?
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        I have a 4R100 behind my 7.3 diesel - I think you're going to need to do a bit of work to a fox trans tunnel to fit that big muther in there - but it won't be drastic as far as I've seen.

So you'll use the K member from an SN95 '96 or newer, the navi engine/trans, and a mustang 8.8... sounds like a great combination to me! I wonder if the primary pipes (with cats, O2s, etc) would fit into the fox chassis?

I would be tempted to start out with the factory harness and computer - but PATS etc may make that more of a headache than it's worth?
        I am basically going to rework the OE Navi harness for my chassis and turn off PATS through SCT. It seems to be the cheapest and most feasible solution I have seen.

Comment

sounds like you've done your research - this thing is going to be stealthy!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Ask Chad and Dieselgeek about the Maverick that had a 200 sixer in it that they efi'd from a Jeep TBI then nitroused and failed to blow it up. It was in CC or HRM.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

why not go with an AODE or a 4R70W? they were in damn near everything and the AOD at least fits in the Fox chassis
              Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

A C6 behind a BBF fits in a Fox... just how big is a 4R100?
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                  Ask Chad and Dieselgeek about the Maverick that had a 200 sixer in it that they efi'd from a Jeep TBI then nitroused and failed to blow it up. It was in CC or HRM.
                  I thought they blew it up with a 175 shot?
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                  X