Barn find 68 Impala SS 396 Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn find 68 Impala SS 396 Convertible

New here, wanted to share my recent find. It's an all original, never painted 1968 Impala SS 396 Convertible, with 42,000 original miles. All numbers matching, factory A/C, automatic, triple black. It was built in Atlanta, and lived in Georgia till at least 1980 (according to the inspection sticker in the window). From there it made it to Maryland where I found it in a garage in Baltimore city. My plans are to fully restore it eventually, but right now I am leaving all the original paint on it and driving it for at least this summer. here are some pics.

and here is how it looks now after some new shoes, plain steel wheels, some original dog dish caps and an altitude adjustment

Wait.... did you just get this? was it in a barn/large garage? I think my buddy here (Shelty) bought that guys other impala. He mentioned that he had a triple black SS vert when he bought it last month. Looks awesome! Rock it as is!
    Local person
    sigpic

Comment

Yay!! Another Impala!!

Black convert and AC. That AC has to work very hard to keep up on all that black, especially a black top car.
      A friend's car, a triple black '76 Eldo convert had that problem. You could feel the heat from the top on your head.

Is that a Q Jet carb on it? Or, is it the Holley Spreadbore? BTW, lose the lawnmower air cleaner and get one with a filter large enough to stay clean longer than a week.

Car looks great. Have fun cruising it this summer.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

nice dude! I remember that SS when I bought the 66 Bel Air he also had. It was a pretty sweet car.

glad to see she got to a good home.
        Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Sweet cruiser. Love your plan of attack. Rock that sucker as is.
          Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            Yay!! Another Impala!!

Black convert and AC. That AC has to work very hard to keep up on all that black, especially a black top car.
            A friend's car, a triple black '76 Eldo convert had that problem. You could feel the heat from the top on your head.

Is that a Q Jet carb on it? Or, is it the Holley Spreadbore? BTW, lose the lawnmower air cleaner and get one with a filter large enough to stay clean longer than a week.

Car looks great. Have fun cruising it this summer.
            Its a spread-bore mech. sec. Holley, not a huge fan of them because they are hard to get the secondary bog out, but it works for now.

Comment

Excellent ride! Welcome aboard.

Don't listen to Scott - he literally drove the wheel off of his car and then calls us bad mechanics. LOL - just messin with you Scott... take your finger off the trigger. Haha. I think that's a boat spark arrestor? If so, there's no real "filter" to one of those to clog up unless you run into a hoard of grasshoppers or something. Keeps mice out of the carb...

Lohnes will probably want to know how many dead zombie hookers will fit in the trunk, but he's funny that way. There's a lot of folks on here who really love these old yachts, topless is a bonus! I think there was a lynch mob out for Freiburger when he vinyl wrapped his though. You're right on about they are only original once. Looking forward to seeing it bruise asphalt!
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                Excellent ride! Welcome aboard.

Don't listen to Scott - he literally drove the wheel off of his car and then calls us bad mechanics. LOL - just messin with you Scott... take your finger off the trigger. Haha. I think that's a boat spark arrestor? If so, there's no real "filter" to one of those to clog up unless you run into a hoard of grasshoppers or something. Keeps mice out of the carb...

Lohnes will probably want to know how many dead zombie hookers will fit in the trunk, but he's funny that way. There's a lot of folks on here who really love these old yachts, topless is a bonus! I think there was a lynch mob out for Freiburger when he vinyl wrapped his though. You're right on about they are only original once. Looking forward to seeing it bruise asphalt!
                Yup it is a spark arrestor off my old Chris Craft, I did not have anything to put on it, but have since found an original air cleaner. cant wait for all this white shit to melt so I can put the top down and cook my bald head.

Comment

Again, nice car. I bet that little air filter is costing quite a bit of HP! Are you in MD? My son lives in Havre' de Grace.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Ha, yup in MD, just went to lunch in HdG, small world!

Comment

Hey cool!! Another convertible project. Very nice, have fun driving that.......

Comment

I could have sworn that the guy said it was a 4 speed car, but I do remember seeing that car in the lot amongst all the other stuff he had. I bought the wagon in the beginning of january, how long ago did you snag that beast? It was cool and looked relatively unmolested
                        Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Originally posted by Shelty View Post
                          I could have sworn that the guy said it was a 4 speed car, but I do remember seeing that car in the lot amongst all the other stuff he had. I bought the wagon in the beginning of january, how long ago did you snag that beast? It was cool and looked relatively unmolested

I picked it up about a month ago, and yes it has not been molested, besides the headers and carb, it is all original.

Comment

Here are some better pics I took today

Comment

What size wheels and tires did you put on? Looks great!
                              Do you know the backspacing on the rears?
                              Last edited by andy30thz; February 20, 2014, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X