The Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tool

My current project is a '67 Cougar that started life as a 390 GT 4 speed car, red with a black interior. Who ever bought the car new specified the GT package consisting of the 390-4V 325 HP engine, HD suspension, 9" rear axle and added a 4 speed top loader and a trunk mounted luggage rack. The original rear end ratio was a 3.00 open.

The car somehow survived until now with no major body damage and no rust. The previous owner kept the engine, but the original top loader was still in the car when purchased in Tulsa a couple years ago.

A 427 Top Oiler FE was sitting on an engine stand in the corner of the garage that needed a home. It is .030" over with Arias pistons. We screwed it together with a 428CJ crankshaft and rods so it is 4.264" bore and 3.984"stroke. That makes it 455 cubes, or a whole bunch of liters. Compression is kinda high at 12.2 but race gas smells like victory. Heads are some very rare C8WE 6090-A NHRA cheater heads from the '68 season. We installed 2.15" and 1.70" valves with 11/32" stems. The valves are told what to do and when by a Comp Cams solid lifter flat tappet with grind #294S.

For induction there is a Ford factory 8V Medium Riser 427 intake with a pair of Ford - spec 600CFM Holley carbs C3AF-BK and C3AF-BK. Exhaust is a set of FPA tri - Y headers and 2 1/2" Flowmaster mandrel bent system.

Here's the car fresh from a coat of PPG Candyapple red:

I named it "The Tool" because it looks like it came from the Snap On catalog. It will be the sharpest tool in the box!

More to come.........

Re: The Tool

Man, that car has cool stuff. But are you going to put the luggage rack back on?

DF

Comment

LOL no way! The luggage rack is going to stay in my attic.

BTW I have a picture someplace of Matt King sitting on the fender in Columbus OH at National Trails race track during the first "Drag Week". The car was in its original faded paint and provided a good leaning / sitting place to bench race with Jay Brown and the other FE guys.

Originally posted by Freiburger
      Man, that car has cool stuff. But are you going to put the luggage rack back on?

DF

Comment

I LOVE the car. But someone needs to say it. From the pic, that is NOT candy apple red! Fire engine red I'll buy. Candy apple red is a translucent red sprayed over a highly metallic base - a different effect is attained depending on if you used a gold base or silver. Gold was the most traditional. So your color is EXCELLENT, just not candy apple. Your paint is also much easier to live with. Candys are almost impossible to touch up and are highly chip-prone.

Later
        Dan

Comment

Dan,

The Ford name for the color code "T" is "Candyapple Red." This car is that color. I know what you are saying.

Comment

Interesting! I'm surprised that House of Color didn't sue 'em, but maybe they didn't copywrite it.

Later
            Dan

Comment

Ford started using that name for this color in 1966. I don't think House of Kolor was around back then.

Originally posted by DanStokes
              Interesting! I'm surprised that House of Color didn't sue 'em, but maybe they didn't copywrite it.

Later
              Dan

Comment

I have a new appreciation for those Cougars after working on and driving my friends 68. I have to say I like them much better than a Mustang.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Really a nice find love what you are doing to it! Just wondering if thats not a numbers matching car and those are such rare/valuable 68 horsepower making heads why not sell them or swap them to a numbers matching Gent? I am guessing your use of the dual plane 2x4 and Tri-Ys as compared to a single plane and 4to1 headers would nix any added power those heads offered over equally worked CJs.

Comment

The C8WY heads don't flow as good as an off the shelf Edelbrock FE head. I just had to run them, just because they are cool. I spent a lot of time and money repairing them from their decrepit condition. They were serious race parts back in the day that were raced hard back when. I don't think selling them to some collector to gather dust on his trophy shelf would be any fun.

Same goes for the 8V Medium Riser intake. Anybody can stick a Edelbrock Performer RPM and a Holley HP series 950 on their car and make 10 - 20 more horsepower. Guess what, that's not any fun. Multiple carbs, old junk that runs good, a 4 speed and a Detroit Locker - that's fun!

Comment

Ford started using that name for this color in 1966. I don't think House of Kolor was around back then.
                      House of Kolor started in 1958 in Minneapolis, MN
                      Small hole in the wall body shop.
                      Jon Kosmoski still paints cars. His current 32 Ford is a very nice piece of work.

Comment

Love to see anything FE powered - and a cougar with a 427 - what's not to love!

Extremely cool, that thing is just gonna cackle with that compression!

Sweeeeet!
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by 1968w427gte
                          The C8WY heads don't flow as good as an off the shelf Edelbrock FE head. I just had to run them, just because they are cool. I spent a lot of time and money repairing them from their decrepit condition. They were serious race parts back in the day that were raced hard back when. I don't think selling them to some collector to gather dust on his trophy shelf would be any fun.

Same goes for the 8V Medium Riser intake. Anybody can stick a Edelbrock Performer RPM and a Holley HP series 950 on their car and make 10 - 20 more horsepower. Guess what, that's not any fun. Multiple carbs, old junk that runs good, a 4 speed and a Detroit Locker - that's fun!

I like you......

Comment

Working...
                          X