57' Pontiac Laurentian....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57' Pontiac Laurentian....

I haven't been online much this summer because I have been out in the garage. I finally got all the stuff done that I had to complete and can now start working on my fun stuff.

So here in my 57' Pontiac - original canadian car built on a 57' Chevy chassis, right down to the 283/PG setup. It came with a 67' 327 with a rod hanging out the side of the block. Previous owner pulled the car out of 20+ years of storage and started doing 7000+ rpm burnouts with it until a rod bolt let go.

I spent the last several days fixing up the brakes, and pulling the blown 327 and TH400 out of the 57'. I also picked up a real nice 85' caprice a few weeks ago with a low milage Gm 305 crate motor in it and built TH700R4.

After pulling the caprice engine, I cleaned it up a little with an early Q-jet front fill intake, some corvette valve covers, and a little paint.

So with no engine in the 57' and a decent looking little 305 sitting there, I just put them together. I just need to hook up a few things and a trip to the parts store and the car is on the road. This is my road tri car, so I am hoping for 20+mpg with the Q-jet fed, overdriven, 305, and the 3.36 rear gear.

Re: 57' Pontiac Laurentian....

Very cool Pontiac!
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Neat poncho....Like the keystones.....

Comment

Very Nice....

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I am not sure if I am going to keep the 14" keystones or go with some 15" gloss black rims I have and pontiac dog dish hubcaps on it.

The silly thing has coil spring helpers in the front that I am taking out. Should give it that hot rod rake.

Comment

Will there be any driveshaft modifications required to put the new transmission with the older axle?

You got lucky to not have a torque tube - our '54 belair has one - major PITA.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

No torque tube. I had to modify the ghetto trans crossmember, and get the driveshaft cut down. That was about it.

I will be replacing the trans crossmember with something nicer in the near future. The current one doesn't have any strength issues (its made out of freakin 3/8" plate!) but is huge, ugly, and not a great design...hence it being huge and ugly.

But it runs and drives now and I am just waiting on a safety check to get my plates for it. I am still debating the rims since the keystones are only 14"

Comment

Go for the dog dishes, Eric. Or, at least, give them a try. I think it'd look pretty sinister.

Comment

I have been driving the car for a few weeks and found I screwed up a little on the q-jet rebuilt. The car was getting 27mpg on the highway with the OD! Then it went all to hell and was spewing fuel everywhere. I installed the needle on the float wrong. DOH! Time t take it apart again.

Other than that, the car ran and drove great.

I have picked up a set of mid 60's dog dishes for the car, and some 255/60R15's for the rear. With a coil cut from the front, it should look good.

I even found one of the extrememly hard to find factory dog dish caps for the car. Now I only need 3 more. Canadian cars had a special cap.

Comment

Working...
                  X