World's quickest Land Rover??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's quickest Land Rover??

Just thought I might share with you all a project we were working on. . untill he crashed it and wrecked it. .
    Quite possibly the world's quickest Land Rover??

Full Chassis Series 1 landy, Clevo and glide.
    Ran with a single 950HP Holley to a best of 9.20 and then we stuck a 6/71 huffer on it and went 8.55 with the aspirated converter still in it, slipping pretty bad.

Engine was only a mild setup, standard Clevo block, 393 cubes, about 10.5:1, aluminium 2V heads, only ran about 8psi and made 826hp on the dyno.

Was a cool little car, definitely got the crowd talking!

And the aftermath after the right-rear wheelstuds broke and punted the poor little thing into the wall

Re: World's quickest Land Rover??

And our next project, seem the Landy met an untimely death.
    Austin A40 ute.
    408 Clevo, same heads and blower off the landy engine, everything else was trashed in the crash.
    Has gone 8.51 so far but we're still just shaking it down.

Comment

It's good to see that insanity is alive and well down under! Tough break on the Rover, but it's good to see ya bounced back and back in action

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

MAN WHAT A SHAME- even wasted the block!

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
          MAN WHAT A SHAME- even wasted the block!
          Yeah the block was a mess . . . once we took the caps off and lifted the crank out, all the webbing for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th main just crumbled and fell to pieces, it was only the front and back that was holding everything together. Never seen a block crumble like this thing did.

The only thing that was salvaged from that setup was the heads, manifold, blower, carbs and camshaft. It smashed the bellhousing and extension housing off the gearbox, smashed the pump, bent the input shaft.

Comment

Awesome.....Sucks about the LR but I love them both....Something very different.

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

exceedingly cool - my first car had a clevo - and I've had one ever since - love that engine!

Very cool rides - serious times and hardware, nice!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

figgin nuts.....

Comment

I always say if you're going to crash, make it spectacular.
                  Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY
                    figgin nuts.....
                    Good fun! ;D ;D :P

Comment

I've seen pics of the Land Rover before on the net. What a great car. Or, it used to be. I always wondered how the canvas top didn't shred or fly off at speed.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Did the driverīs seat break loose from itīs mounting ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                          I've seen pics of the Land Rover before on the net. What a great car. Or, it used to be. I always wondered how the canvas top didn't shred or fly off at speed.
                          Yeah it was certainly unique.
                          Sadly the guy mad enough to originally build it passed away late last year, he never saw it with the blower hanging out of it but we can only assume he would have approved. Just nuts enough to be awesome! :P

It was all sheeted in aluminium under the canvas, the canvas was glued to the aluminium. ANDRA (our sanctioning body over here) wouldn't let it run with just the rag top. Originally it was going to run with canvas top and no tops on the doors (as they came standard) but they required it to be sheeted under the canvas, and top doorframes and perspex added to the doors.

Comment

Originally posted by malc
                            Did the driverīs seat break loose from itīs mounting ?

Nope it was still stuck in there, the harnesses pulled down and bent the top of the seat forward, and the whole thing moved forward on the mount but it didn't break.

Note to young players there, for harnesses with the shoulder straps looped around the bar behind the seat, make sure that bar isn't too low, or in the case of a crash, the belts pull and bend the seat as you can see. No good for your neck.

Comment

When mounting shoulder harness belts; I wouldn't have them mounted any lower than the tops of your shoulder blades when seated. That way in an accident they won't pull down and compress your spine and tweak the neck. I've seen guys who have mounted the shoulder straps to the floor boards behind the seat. That's good way to exit the car after a wreck four inches shorter.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X