X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Re: 1982 "bitchin camaro" LSR car

So why not run two or three cylinders of the 4-banger you just pulled out to make the cid requirements? (at least it might give you something to do with it other than boat anchor it).

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

Only Steve (the older one) is going, I don't want to take Gary out of school for a week, since he misses some time for robotics in the spring. College for Steve starts up on the 25th.

Leave a comment:

• Dynoroom
    replied

Originally posted by squirrel
    Yeah, I have a rule book, only read it twice though. Still a lot to learn! and I intend to spend next week looking, listening, learning....

Nice before/after pics...VERY impressive 'bird!
    Looking forward to meeting you and your boys, mine are 22 & 26. Couldn't do it without their help. Please look us up at the salt.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

Yeah, I have a rule book, only read it twice though. Still a lot to learn! and I intend to spend next week looking, listening, learning....

Nice before/after pics...VERY impressive 'bird!

Leave a comment:

• Dynoroom
    replied

This is a great project for you and your boys, enjoy the learning.

Let me know if I can help with anything, even questions. You do have a rule book right?

Originally posted by squirrel

You're almost there dude!!

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied

I have a bud with a 104 mph naturally-aspirated flathead-powered '53 F-100 (just short of the record book), he was figuring to start with such type of class and try to nail a record there, we have sat down over beers and talked about hp vs. frontal area x cd, rpm range-gearing-tire size vs. target speed, etc. as I'm sure most do. It was good to have some targets and reference the combo around that, expecting to then adjust as neccesary based on results. What would you think, for the Camaro? May be imprudent to start saying at this point, I suppose. But such numbers as you might come up with would give whatever "weight" to how important aerodynamics are. I believe, from road bicycle experience, that aero starts getting important at as little as 20mph but it's probably a different kind of "important" than the one at 200.

As a total wag I'd venture that at 60-70 mph a T/A body is good for 2 mph over a Camaro for a given amount of power. You could test the Camaro as-is then tape over the lights and grille and test again to see if it were worth it. Least you won't need to haul it all the way to Bonneville for that...

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied

Ya know I scrapped an '86 Trans-Am w/ perfect, rust-free body a couple years ago when I couldn't find anyone to haul it off (I had relieved it of powertrain and all wiring, and cats pee'd on the seats).

Think I still have the front clip, doors, rr lights and bumper cover and plastic aero if you're interested. Actually not sure about the fenders. All free*, in S.D. but you can probably find stuff in AZ too. Remember the rr quarters are different also between the "F"s, I don't have those.

*except that you may be obligated to have the crankshaft argument one more time and perhaps hear me mutter under my breath that any kind of racing where you are having to make a 1 cyl out of an 8 cyl is a strange sh** kind of racing

Leave a comment:

• 82z
    replied

the newer nose realy cleans up the front end on these cars. good luck with the project. A good source of info on these cars is www.thirdgen.org

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Cool project pics Jim, keep 'em coming.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

No I don't...could you pm it? thanks

edit: the 90 hp lump is out of the car.

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    Guest replied

still got my number?

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• 91CCFirebird
    replied

Need to find a nose off of an 85-90.....should clean up that front air.....definitely see the love that the car has experienced

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    Guest replied

if i can offer assitance let me know....I can try to cource parts down here/pick them up...what ever....let me know

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    started a topic 1982 "bitchin camaro" LSR car

1982 "bitchin camaro" LSR car

We're doing the easy part, taking apart. Then it will turn into work, so motivation will be key....

As it was after I got it home. There is a stock hood with it, the only rust I've found so far is the front lower edge of the hood, which is pretty bad on the drivers side where it was hit and fixed badly.

A beautiful, well loved car. Right.

Steven starting to wrench on it.

The little 4 popper is about ready to pull, but we still need to dive underneath and undo the transmission.

The car is one of ONLY 21,802 4 cylinder 1982 camaros. Not many options on this one. It has the standard Saginaw trans (3.50 first ratio), should have a 3.42 rear, which are base equipment. The car does have a/c, which is about the only option I've found so far. The pass side door has a power window, but it came off another car. The car was some brown color, looks like it was called "dark gold", code 67. The drivers side had been hit and badly repaired, although it looks like the fender was replaced, the door and quarter have mucho bondo. Also the rear bumper was replaced, and the front one has some bondo in it and some cracks. And it's not very aerodynamic, as bitchin camaros go.

Plans are to turn it into a land speed race car, because it's one of those cars that will get scrapped otherwise. We'll see how far it gets. Keep your fingers crossed.
Working...
X