Who wants a few Civic pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants a few Civic pictures?

Nobody? Too bad, I'm posting a few anyway from an autocross I went to this weekend.

No plans to make some crazy high dollar no torque engine buildup, but I may have to do something about that body roll. For some reason a lot of Honda fanboys always just go straight to a set of coil-overs, but I'm thinking shocks, springs, and maybe some 25% more spring rate. See how it responds to a more domestic-like suspension tuning approach.

Re: Who wants a few Civic pictures?

Ah, the joy of fwd...you can't stiffen the front bar because it'll lift the inside tire, and not much you can do out back either.

Looks like someone is having fun

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I know there is plenty you can do to make it handle well...have seen em do well at auto cross events in the past....looks like a good time......

Comment

Even has mandatory random poorly placed Decal on the side ;D Hands down though that looks fun. Should be interesting on the suspension change, since most the ones I've seen look like (and feel like for the ones I've ridden in) they just got rid of the springs altogether and made the whole car unsprung weight.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

An LSD, plus stiffening the sway bars front and rear,
          and playing with some adjustable coils and struts.
          Grab a tuner mag, some well known companies sell kits,
          that work well, and easy to install.

Thay can be made to handle quite well,
          but FWD is just not the optimum setup.

Comment

I'm going to guess that the car has a stock suspension other then aftermarket rims? STS is a hot class still... Sticky tires and some coilovers... If you want to try the strut/coilsprings route you may want to take a look at some Koni's and custom spring rates to really be competitive... You will find that it is much cheaper to go with an off the shelf coilover package... For a Civic you can get Coilovers with decent spring rates for just about $1000, if not less... Buy used and say more $$$... Sways will help... They help maintain the camber curve during turn in... Helping with understeer... Most SCCA peeps are helpful. Just ask a driver of a similar car that is fast what they are running.

Tires, alignement and springs/shocks are your best bets for STS... Intake and catback are free under STS rules... It will be a momentum car... Remember that tires need a treadwear of 140 or higher for STS. If there is an Evo school in your region take it. Both Phases will make you a much better driver... As the best way to improve your times is by adjusting the nut behind the wheel.

The only sport where you can say you beat a Vette, a Porsche and a BMW with you daily driver and not be called a liar.

SCCA safety steward/local region equipment steward myself.

Comment

Good to see some people didn't mind my posting it here. It's just got the wheels and tires (had some cheap Shanghai Warrior tires on stock steelies with purple lug nuts when I got it) and the lip spoiler (was on the car when I got it). I'm planning to add a little suspension work but nothing that'll spoil its usefulness as a daily driver. I was thinking maybe 15%-25% more spring rate, Koni shocks, and some good sway bars.

Comment

Looks like you were having fun there, Matt. Auto-X is definitely tougher than it looks from the outside. I always had better success with Solo I on the track, compared to Solo II competition.

cheers
                Ed N.
                Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Not called Solo I anymore... It is called PDX and falls under SCCA Club racing... Either way it is a great way to enjoy your car... If you have the opportunity to attend a Pro Solo, do it... Drag race start on a mirrored course is a lot of fun!

Comment

They still call it Solo I up in here in Soviet Canuckistan. ;)

I instructed at their annual school at Mosport last year.

cheers
                    Ed N.
                    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed
                      They still call it Solo I up in here in Soviet Canuckistan. ;)

I instructed at their annual school at Mosport last year.

cheers
                      Ed N.
                      Oh, your one of them, lol!

Down here it is PDX.

Comment

One of them? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                          Who wants a few Civic pictures?
                          Nobody !!!