Should I buy the Ambulance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy the Ambulance?

Hey guys, theres an ambulance for sale here in my area. i reeeeealy wanna buy it so i can road trip with my buddies in it

This is a 1979 Ford Econoline 350 ambulance
    The engine is a 460CI 7.5L with a 4 Barrel Carb. It has a 3-spd auto, and a Dana 70 rear end. The alternator and engine have been rebuilt two year ago. The transmission was rebuilt in 1999. It has two batteries and the back (cargo area) has been gutted out, insulated, and carpeted (walls too). Lights function, interior lights function. Some rust, served in Thermopolis, Wyoming and Denver, Colorado.

the pic the guy took sucks so i found a better one (same make and model, different graphics)

He's asking $1,300 for it. Ill bet i can charm him into 1,000 at most...

Re: Should I buy the Ambulance?

Don't ask me about ambulances. Bad flashbacks. See my edit column on the subject (don't recall when, but it was one of my personal faves)

Comment

was it recent? as in this last year?

Comment

"Mother,Jugs and Speed" ;D

Comment

Originally posted by JustinSuhas
          was it recent? as in this last year?
          Years ago. Might have been CC, don't remember. Trying to block out the entire episode.

Comment

I always thought a short-bus done up with RV or limo type stuff would be great for road trips or as a camper. But I could see the ambulance working, too.
            It would be very Cannonball Run.

Comment

Do your friends really want to go on a road trip with a guy who brings his own ambulance? sheesh....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My only experiences with ambulances are as a passenger. Not good memories.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The only time I ever rode in one, it was a short trip to the ER, and they saved my life, so my overall impression is positive. Still, not sure I want to tour in one.

On the other hand - a 460 and a beefy auto trans for a grand ain't bad. Even if you just parted it out. Imagine that engine & trans in, say, a Maverick or some such. If you have a place to keep it, I'd go for it.

Later
                  Dan

Comment

Just put "interstate medical transport" on the side, some Jack Elam lookin guy in the back in a Dr. suit and Bull Run that sucker! ;D

Comment

Don't let your insurance company see it when you go to insure it!

Comment

FYI, when I did have my ambulance, I got a ticket for impersonating an emergency vehicle even though all the lettering was removed. It was an expensive fine.

Comment

A guy in town has a 63ish Caddy ambulance/hearse, he drives it around quite a bit. Has the gumball light and siren on it, of course. I haven't heard of him ever being pulled over, my guess is because it's easy to tell that it's an "antique" and is not impersonating an emergency vehicle.

My brother got busted years ago for having a mannequin in his car driving thru california on a trip from Seattle to Tucson, he did it as a joke, but apparently it's a common carpool lane scam? CA cops have no sense of humor....not that I blame them....
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

pass, the fuel millage is going to suck, think 5 mpg at most. I do like the dana 70 though.

Comment

old ambulances are great tow vehicles. everything is heavy duty and they have ample storage for pretty much any at the track issue that you are likely to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                              X