X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tiresmoke!
    replied
    Re: The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

You know, for some odd reason I can totally envision this pile riding on an Air ride system similar to that on the Crew Cab Chevelle.

Brian, you say you enjoy welding?

If ya wanna practice, bring yourself(and your welder) to Indianapolis....I have a certain '85 Camaro that'd LOVE to meet you.....LOL

Keeping the original mill is a nice touch...just hope you can find fresh internals for it is all.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Enough yacking Lohnes, some more pics please ...

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

Yup, I include mopars among "oddballs"

We had a couple 56 plymouth projects for a while, ended up getting rid of them. Neat cars...each wheel uses unique fasteners....left side has left hand threads, front uses studs and nuts, rear uses bolts. If you want to have some fun, try finding a left hand thread lug bolt!

Anyways, the wagon project should keep us entertained and Brian busy for a long time. It'll be a neat, unique ride when he's done

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

The theory was sound, but made no practical difference. Older Mopars were that way, too. Usually, there will be a small tick in the middle of the corners (not on the flats) to indicate LH threads - look for that carefully.

This is a GREAT project! Wish it was mine, and, on the other hand, glad it's not mine. The main thing you may want to upgrade is the steering. You'll find a big ol' bellcrank in the middle of the linkage. Even when new, they tended to be a bit loose. Joe Roberts may know if there is rebuild stuff available for this, or maybe a pre-made upgrade.

Have fun
    Dan

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

Unlike old Chevys and Fords, which never seem to have lost wheels with right hand nuts on the left side of the car, right?

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

Originally posted by squirrel
    If the offending lug nuts are on the left side of the car, try turning them clockwise. Most off brands had backwards nuts on the left side. Don't ask me why.
    So did many old british brands. That way the lugs won't come loose with forward motion.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

If the offending lug nuts are on the left side of the car, try turning them clockwise. Most off brands had backwards nuts on the left side. Don't ask me why.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
    I know I'm a gearhead when I look at cars at the salvage yard and all I see are potential projects, but lately there's a line to which I think the car is too far gone. Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age. It could be the fact that I'm still without a garage or a shop and I live in an apartment.
    I live in a house the size of an apartment without a garage at this point. But I have something on you...I'm dumb.

;D

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

I know I'm a gearhead when I look at cars at the salvage yard and all I see are potential projects, but lately there's a line to which I think the car is too far gone. Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age. It could be the fact that I'm still without a garage or a shop and I live in an apartment.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

Scott...If I had smell-o-vision I'd gladly post what the barf inducing stale gas smells like in the tank.

If I was a loon like Freiburger/Chad/Kinnan or anyone who has to get their stuff done on a deadline, I'd be screwed. This project is a total education process and I'm in no hurry to rush the thing through.

One factoid that makes me smile is that I just spent a weekend at a massive 1950's car show with "one of everything"....except a 1956 Stude President Pinehurst wagon.
    When it's done, it's close to being a one-of-a kind.

Oh yeah...the lugs? That was with a breaker bar and a length of pipe slid over the handle. If the WD fails to loosen them up, George's heat wrench is coming over.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

I give you a lot of credit for taking on this kind of project. The fact that it's challenge just to get the tires off the car makes me cringe at what may be ahead for you and thankful my projects are not in this predicament.

Leave a comment:

• fahrenschnell
    replied

And your off....Way to take the bull by the horns.

Seth

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

We'll we got back from the family excursion to Lead East today.

I got a little time with the car before night set in. Got nothing of consequence done, but it's baby steps to start.

The car was sitting on 3 square tires when we left for NJ...when we got back it was only two. Neighbor George had aired one up while pawing over the car. Both tires on the drivers side are still flat so tonight's project was getting the thing up on the jackstands and getting the lugs soaked with WD so they will come loose tomorrow (they wouldn't budge dry tonight).

Interestingly, the drivers side door would never close cleanly when the car was sitting on it's on wheels...now that it's up on three stands on the drivers side it opens and closes like a Mercedes. It's got some sag.

Tomorrow I plan on removing the taco'd gas tank, chopping the dragging remanats of the exhaust off and getting the offending two wheels removed. If the gods shine on me and my pal Dana calls me back, I'm going to commandeer his tire machine and mount two junkers (that hold air) so we can move the car around (with my tractor).

I'll post some photos of the miniscule Progress(?) tomorrow evening.

Ya gotta start somewhere right?

Brian

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

Brian if you don't already have one - save your pennies and buy a good welder.... don't cheap out - you'll curse the thing later.... if you can swing it - a plasma cutter would come in real handy on this project too!
    ;D

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

and then start to do something that I REALLY like to do, fuse metal with electricity.
    That'd be a handy thing to like to do, here... ;)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X