The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

You know, for some odd reason I can totally envision this pile riding on an Air ride system similar to that on the Crew Cab Chevelle.

Brian, you say you enjoy welding?

If ya wanna practice, bring yourself(and your welder) to Indianapolis....I have a certain '85 Camaro that'd LOVE to meet you.....LOL

Keeping the original mill is a nice touch...just hope you can find fresh internals for it is all.

Comment

Hey Smoke...Internals should not be a problem. The stock stuff (crank/rods) is forged anyway, so unless there's huge problems, that stuff is going to stay. Slugs can be custom made if need be, but there are places to score them.

Welding is big fun....I'm no great shakes, but I learned from a really neat guy at the fleet garage in college. His major piece of advice, "Welding is like being with a woman. Take your time and enjoy it." Best teacher I had in four years and the guy was a wrench at the bus garage.

OK...so I guess we're officially off the ground with this Stude wagon deal as of today.

Short story: I wanted to get the thing up on the jack stands, pull the square tires off, and get the gas tank removed as it was basically falling off anyway. Got all that done, plus stripped the motor and readied it for removal, chopped off hanging exhaust (car has factory duals?!), Saved one of the tires I thought was a junker, and took good stock of the extend of the rust carnage.

Long story:

See below

So last night I soaked the lugs with WD because I could not budge them. They are reverse threaded, which I knew going in, they were just seized on there from years of neglect. The WD did it's job and they ran right off like new lug nuts this morning. I got the car up on the jackstands and was finally able to crawl underneath and see what's what.

The first order of business was removing the gas tank which was only held on by the two brackets on the drivers side, this thing is not supported by straps, rather beefy brackets. The bolts ran right out and the tank dropped like no one's business. The gas in it is the most horrible swill I have smelled since Turk's "new bike" at Maxton...nasty stuff.

The good: Top of the tank is perfect
      The bad: The bottom of the tank got thrashed when the ramp truck guy removed it from the farm it was on to the place where dad and I got it. I think the guy's name was abdullah the butcher. Can the bottom of this tank be saved? It's not even rusted, just taco'd.

Tank out...discovery #1...this car came with factory dual exhaust. One of the pipes was visible from the back but the other had rotten into nothingness and couldn't be seen until the car was up on the jacks. See it's remains on the left.

The pipe on the right had to go because it was a mess and would dig into the ground when I tried to move the car. It was in tough shape anyway.

I forged ahead from there and decided to strip the motor and engine bay and get it ready for removal.
      Here's the weirdo Stromberg WW carb. It's a pretty common piece except for the top piece which was specific to this application. Neat looking, but not a performance piece.

Oil bath air cleaner with some 50 weight in it...yuck.

Gritted my teeth, yanked a valve cover and, hey, not so bad.

Rear wheel well, factory undercoating did it's job here!

Intrepid companion...intrepid companioning

Artsy shot of tools

Radiator is out and looking dandy...this will be sold, I want to put an aluminum one in there

Engine bay looking cluttered

Underside of the cast iron factory dual plane

Plenum

Mouse condo under intake

Distributor

End of the night, clean engine bay...ready for the tripod and motor/ trans removal!

Now it feels like I'm doing something here. What's not included in the photos are neighbor George and I reseating on tire on it's bead and filling it. Leaving me with only one junker to replace tomorrow.

Good day!

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Dude....That is some awesome progress for one day...Way to go....I'm sure that Tom did most of the work. ;D

The Valvetrain looks pretty good under those valve covers...It isn't looking too bad at all.

Awesome progress and thanks for the pics...Wish I could come help you.

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Thanks man!

Weird working on a car you can disassemble with basic hand tools...none of them metric either.

Once the motor is out, I'll get to gutting the inside of the thing.

Brian

Comment

Great pictures! Looks very interesting.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Good progress for a holiday!

The rear looks like a Dana 44 maybe? and finned drums in 56....that is amazing...or maybe something was replaced?

The carb looks like those used on the early Olds V8s.

I'd be tempted to get that radiator checked out and see if it's good. But I'm a cheapskate.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Jim,

As everything else on the car seems to be factory original or damn close to it, I'm guessing that the drums are correct for the car/year.

I'm 50/50 on the radiator. With the motor being breathed on with a turbo and worked harder than that thing was intended for it may be worth replacing it. The good news is that there is PLENTY of room for an intercooler up there too!

Brian

Comment

Some of those old radiators will surprise you, I ran an original 50s one in my truck with the blown big block for several years.

But it also depends on what else is under the bonnet...if you're going high tech on the engine, then an aluminum radiator would fit right in!
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

They knew how to build cars back then...Sturdy and Heavy Duty.

I love it.

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I love pics. Sounds like a good day.
                      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Nice job Brian. Looks like you're making some progress.
                        I R Bob
                        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Looking good great progress. Good looking helper too!

Comment

That engine looks a lot like a mix of Nailhead and later 215/Rover Buick V8. Interesting piece for sure, I'm going to be watching this with delight.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Very nice!

Taking lots of pictures helps, and don't forget the ziploc freezer bags, sharpie, and label all those fasteners as they come off!

What a cool car!

I thought of you the other day while walking through a swap meet / car show.... there as a wickedly cool 2 door falcon wagon that screamed potential with $1800 on the window..... I had to pass... but regretfully!
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Hey, what a great set of pic's, thanks, I feel like I was there, but didn't have to do any of the work ..

.. but didn't get any of the beer either !
                                :P

Great progress and what a great platform to work from.

Comment

Working...
                                X