Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

Alrighty then....

In the process of getting the motor ready to be pulled out, I've basically stripped it of all the accessories and other potential gnat like annoyances that get in the way of a quick extraction. Of note, to me anyway is the water pump. In my opinion, this thing is pretty cool looking in an industrial arty kinda way. We've all seen 10 million SBC water pumps, but this is my first 'Stude experience. Maybe I'm a weirdo, but dig the photos.

Once it got too dark to work outside I decided to take the pump apart and see what the inards looked like. See if you can tell which part of the impeller has been sitting dormant in coolant for 21 years.

The rest of the inside is good to go and I believe that the impeller itself may be made of brass as there is no corrosion...that stuff is kinda grown on the outside. I started scraping it with a screw driver and 20 minutes work will have the whole thing cleaned. Throw a new gasket on it and we're good to go!

A meager installment...but if the weather holds tomorrow you'll see photos of an engine removal using a 1948 Ford 8N tractor. If not...it'll be a week delay.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Definately a work of art! Keep up the pic's, still waiting to see the engine being moved to the basement. ;)
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        ... this is my first 'Stude experience. Maybe I'm a weirdo, but dig the photos.
        Wow, way cool. Thanks for my first 'Stude water pump rebuild experience.

Comment

Monsoon rains here today....motor coming out next weekend. Suck.

Brian

Comment

Brian -
            Is that pump rebuildable? I'd do bearings and seals just because I could, while yer at it. I haven't seen one of those in a LONG while - good memories!

Dan

Comment

I know it's rebuildable because I have an NOS rebuild kit that I am picking up from the store tomorrow! Seems dumb to rebuild the water pump on a car in as tough shape as this one, but it's something I can do on my workbench in the basement in the evening when I get home from work, so that's how I justify it.

There's a parts business about 5 miles from me that my friend works at called "Then and Now Auto"...they specialize in NOS parts from 1909 on. It is amazing what they have on the shelf there. They are going to be my primary parts source for stuff that "needs" to be right...like this pump. It's an awesome place, but they get a mint on the parts....because where the hell else are you going to get them?

Brian

Comment

You are truly blessed to have a parts place like that so close.... wow, amazing.

Imagine the complexities of the casting process for that pump... industrial art for sure.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The pump is similar to the early Caddy V8 and the industrial big block Mopars. More like the mopars, though, because you can take the pump out of the big housing. The industrial ones were different from the regular ones because they had those passages to the front of the cylinder heads.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Well this ought to be interesting.

Sunday the motor and trans are coming out. It's being removed with a 1948 8N tractor. We thought about the tripod and a chain fall, my father in law has a massive cherry picker, but we kept coming back to the tractor, mainly because we're idiots and think that it will be more fun.

The photos will be priceless, I promise that much.

Brian

Comment

At the junkyard we pulled all the engines out with the fork lift. It had long forks on it, and we had a nice thick nylon strap with a loop at each end. Works great! but not as good for putting them back in.

Keep all your bodily parts out from under.....

My fabulous web page

Comment

Good advice for sure!

Brian

Comment

fingers smashed between frame rails and exhaust manifolds is not a good thing....hell it down right hurts.....

Comment

I don't usually smash myself, instead I get cut on the coresupport and burned because I'm impatient with the metal I'm welding.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Motor's out...no one's dead. It's in my basement. I'm beat.

I'll just let the pictures tell the tale tonight and follow up tomorrow with the stunning commentary.

Brian

Comment

boy, that looks like fun!

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X