The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

I don't know what yer whining about. It (the bores, anyway) looks better than my Nailhead. Seriously. But my pushrods were straight. I've been hosing mine with Marvel Mystery Oil and PB Blaster, which ever falls to hand when I think about it. I figure it will eventually spin over so I can get the trans loose. As long as you're going to bore it, those bores are really no big deal. The valves are likely stuck in the guides with muck (a guess, of course). I've had 'em where I had to drive them out with a lead hammer. Keep digging and we'll see what you find.

Dan

Comment

I'm with Dan - it's ugly - but nothing that can't be fixed with time, patience, and the right chemicals.

I just wish the old "hot tank" stuff was still around - that stuff was amazing. In a situation like this - I would imagine you could find the right machine shop to dip the whole thing in the tank- when they pulled it out I bet all the bearings would be gone, and all the rust would be gone, and you could disassemble it from there.... wouldn't that be nice.

The things they use now in the places I've dealt with are more like an overgrown dishwasher - they don't even take all the paint off! BOO!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I Delved deeper into Al Capone's vault this afternoon and I won a bet.

I bet my dad that we would see a sizeable amount of water come out of the oil pan before oil. I was correct on one part, but wrong on another.

There was a TON of water...and there was NO oil.

The oil pan was Nas-T

This is not a piece of the HMS Titanic...it's the oil...err...water pump

The bearings didn't look as bad as I suspected, but the crank has a lot of rust on it.

That's as far as I got before we had to go out to a family dinner....more to follow tomorrow night.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Yyyyyyuuuuckkk!!!
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Not too bad....considering the amount of water and how long it sat.

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

ewwwwww.

Comment

To take your mind of that awfulness, let's look at Studebaker steering. Since I got the car people have been saying, "don't get freaked out by the front end and steering". I had no clue why. Then we pulled the motor out and found the rube goldberg machine known as Studebaker steering. This is f'n nuts. It literally seems like the engineers decided to just keep adding pieces for the sake of doing it. I mean Jesus...there are cranks and levers and a final setup that looks just like the one on my lawn tractor. Wow.

Comment

WTF!...............lmao @ rube goldberg machine, you aint kidding

Comment

Dear Lord....what the hell were they thinking? You know at one point they looked at it and thought "oh crap" then decided to move on thinking "oh well" because it was to far gone....

Rack n' Pinion anyone....

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

• Re: The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

Wow, I've been away for a few days, and I some how missed the updates here. That's some serious water issues and after seeing the steering linkages, are you sure the push rods weren't designed with the curves?
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Randal...I just laughed out loud. I'm thinking you may be right on the pushrod deal.

For anyone who missed that bit of goodness:

Brian

Comment

That engine looks fine... just needs some of this:

Comment

The crankcase really isn't too bad, compared to how it could be.

and the steering isn't much different from the 49-54 chevy cars (and 53-62 Vettes!) they have the same centered bellcrank idler design.
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I second the move to rack'n'pinion........lots-o-luck not only finding front-end components, but getting alignment specs as well.

heh...all the Restore in the world ain't gonna save THAT lump.

Comment

Alignment specs for the stock setup are easy, and parts are probably available if he starts looking now. That doesn't make it work better than the original design though....and it's usually a pain and a compromise to lower those primitive suspensions.

It's even more of a pain to swap it out for something else....might be worth it though, depending.
                                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                                X