X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fahrenschnell
    replied
    Re: The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

Awesome Work....I like the picture where Tom is looking at your dad as he pulls the engine....He must have been thinking you guys are crazy....

Seth

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

boy, that looks like fun!

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

Motor's out...no one's dead. It's in my basement. I'm beat.

I'll just let the pictures tell the tale tonight and follow up tomorrow with the stunning commentary.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied

I don't usually smash myself, instead I get cut on the coresupport and burned because I'm impatient with the metal I'm welding.

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    Guest replied

fingers smashed between frame rails and exhaust manifolds is not a good thing....hell it down right hurts.....

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

Good advice for sure!

Brian

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

At the junkyard we pulled all the engines out with the fork lift. It had long forks on it, and we had a nice thick nylon strap with a loop at each end. Works great! but not as good for putting them back in.

Keep all your bodily parts out from under.....

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

Well this ought to be interesting.

Sunday the motor and trans are coming out. It's being removed with a 1948 8N tractor. We thought about the tripod and a chain fall, my father in law has a massive cherry picker, but we kept coming back to the tractor, mainly because we're idiots and think that it will be more fun.

The photos will be priceless, I promise that much.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

The pump is similar to the early Caddy V8 and the industrial big block Mopars. More like the mopars, though, because you can take the pump out of the big housing. The industrial ones were different from the regular ones because they had those passages to the front of the cylinder heads.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

You are truly blessed to have a parts place like that so close.... wow, amazing.

Imagine the complexities of the casting process for that pump... industrial art for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

I know it's rebuildable because I have an NOS rebuild kit that I am picking up from the store tomorrow! Seems dumb to rebuild the water pump on a car in as tough shape as this one, but it's something I can do on my workbench in the basement in the evening when I get home from work, so that's how I justify it.

There's a parts business about 5 miles from me that my friend works at called "Then and Now Auto"...they specialize in NOS parts from 1909 on. It is amazing what they have on the shelf there. They are going to be my primary parts source for stuff that "needs" to be right...like this pump. It's an awesome place, but they get a mint on the parts....because where the hell else are you going to get them?

Brian

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Brian -
    Is that pump rebuildable? I'd do bearings and seals just because I could, while yer at it. I haven't seen one of those in a LONG while - good memories!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

Monsoon rains here today....motor coming out next weekend. Suck.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    ... this is my first 'Stude experience. Maybe I'm a weirdo, but dig the photos.
    Wow, way cool. Thanks for my first 'Stude water pump rebuild experience.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

Definately a work of art! Keep up the pic's, still waiting to see the engine being moved to the basement. ;)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X