Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

Brian -
    What a cool project. A couple of notes on the engine, from my memory from 1963 (these may be a bit fuzzy) - the intake WILL go on backwards - to the best of my knowledge, the only engine ever built that way. It throws the carb angle WAY off, so note that when you reinstall it. Also, the rod cap nuts are, IMS (if memory serves), 19/32. Old tool kits used to include that socket for that purpose. I still have one if you need it, but it might have a metric equivalent, like 16mm or something. Anyhow, send me a note if you need mine and I'll send it along, but I DO want it back some day, as it's one of the few remnants from my first tool kit that my folks bought me for Christmas in about 1962 or so. Industro Select! Luke has a great cherry picker that I'm sure he'd be willing to lend (so do I, but it's a chance to hassle Betterwithboost).

Keep the pics coming
    Dan

Comment

Dan,

My neighbor George has me covered on the unique tool front. Yesterday I went over to his garage to use his compressor and left with an electric impact gun and set of sockets..."Here take these, I never use them anymore."

The motor is coming out with the aid of my Dad's tripod. The thing is pretty cool and it about as old as the car. If the rain is going to come we're going to tow it over to my parents house and use the chain hoist he has in the garage.

From there we're going to use his front end loader to lower the motor into my basement and onto my engine stand. There WILL be photos of that operation...should be good for a chuckle.

Thanks for the offer and for dropping some Stude knowledge on me dude. I appreciate the sentiment!

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        From there we're going to use his front end loader to lower the motor into my basement and onto my engine stand. There WILL be photos of that operation...should be good for a chuckle.
        I've contemplated ways to be able to assemble my 455 in my basement and some how get it out to no avail :'( Getting the disassembled parts down there is no problem (two guys carrying a block ;D) but once assembled....(Two prowrestlers??). I can see how a loader would work. I promise to only laugh a little ;D
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
          Man, I can't wait, I'm going to laugh alot !!
          ;D

Comment

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but the fact is we're pretty good at it...we do it every year for the race car motor. Mom and dad's garage does not have heat, so the garage is a much better place to work, you can feel your fingers and everything.

I'll get some photos of the loader too. It's a 1940's vintage Ford piece with a concrete block on the rear for ballast. Sunk into the block of concrete? A 4-bolt main iron 427 Chevy block. Been there since the early 1970's when dad got the tractor.

Brian

Comment

Very Nice....You didn't mention a front end loader when we were carrying the washer and dryer down to the basement ;D

Seth
              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

HA!

Yeah seriously. I couldn't convince pops to drag the thing over for that job!

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                  Brian -
                  What a cool project. A couple of notes on the engine, from my memory from 1963 (these may be a bit fuzzy) - the intake WILL go on backwards - to the best of my knowledge, the only engine ever built that way. It throws the carb angle WAY off, so note that when you reinstall it. Keep the pics coming
                  Dan
                  A nailhead intake will go on backwards aswell. Honestly mos intakes should be reverseable unless the heads are side dependent though most of them won't work well since they have the water crossover in them and you'd end up picking the water up off the back of the heads and hot spotting the front cylinders.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The thing with the Study intake is that there is no water in it, and it fits PERFECTLY backwards. I was just a kid when I made this mistake, and I couldn't figure out WHAT I had done wrong. The only real indication that things were amiss was that the carb was on about a 20 degree slant and therefore wouldn't work right. BTW - I put a 2 GC on it, which bolted right up and worked fine once the new owner turned the manifold around.

You're probably right on the Nailhead - I bet it will go backwards, too. Something to watch for.

Later
                    Dan

Comment

Its dry too and will go on backwards though the single 4 might not give you a carb angle problem the dual quad will most definately. The aircleaner is flat on my 465 Wildcat but I remember the carb heights being staggered and angled on my old 465 Super Wildcat.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I'll have some more photos tomorrow but I got the water pump off and disassembled to see what condition it's condition was in. The thing is like a work of art to look it and was relatively gook free inside.

If it is not raining here on Sunday we'll be doing a motor and trans extraction.

More pics tomorrow after work.

Brian

Comment

You are still working Saturday's.....Damn. That sucks.

I have put the Kabosh on most Saturday work since the Chevelle got home..

Seth
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

This is an interesting project...

Looking forward to more updates.

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                              You are still working Saturday's.....Damn. That sucks.
                              I have put the Kabosh on most Saturday work since the Chevelle got home..
                              Seth
                              I wish I could put the Kabosh on it, but until the letters VP fall somewhere in your title here, you not the guy making that call. I did get a call from a recruiter which is cool and I am meeting with them on Monday to check out something that looks to be a good opportunity to tell my boss to shove it.

The shame of it is that today is a beautiful day and tomorrow is supposed to be a wreck...argh.

Brian

Comment

Wishing you well and go yard sale-ing for an old Jonny Paycheck cassette of "Take this job and shove it"

Comment

Working...
                                X