The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

Awesome Work....I like the picture where Tom is looking at your dad as he pulls the engine....He must have been thinking you guys are crazy....

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Looks to me like your Pop was doing all the work. I know the camera operator is an important part of the team, but.......

The shot of Tom on Grandpa's tractor is priceless! I doubt the older little grand daughter would be interested (she's 5), but the little one is pretty much up for anything. Also have a grandson on the way - I suspect he'll be a car guy, as his Dad is a Honda guy (I can't seem to help him past this).

Dan

Comment

good times, looks like work

Comment

nicely done - I can only imagine what the neighbors were saying.

Love the basement option for engine building.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I was gonna say, I'm sure glad I don't have to deal with having a basement for a shop! although used to be when I was young the only engine lifting thing we had was at the neighbors, on the other side of the wash...but we were young and strong. Aside from pushing cars, we had to carry the assembled short block out of the shed and into the back of a truck and then haul it over and unload it.

Whatever, it looks like you guys have the ingenuity to get the job done, as well as teaching the youngun a thing or two!
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Hey Jim,

It was pretty fun in a sick kind of way. I'd prefer a non-subterrainean lab, but then again, I'd never be able to say, "While working in my subterrainean lab..." HA!

It went pretty smooth, getting the motor out of the car was pretty much cake and the ol' 8N did the trick with aplomb.

Getting the thing into the basement was another story. In my figuring of the job, I neglected to work in the A/C unit directly above the bulkhead we were lowering into or the fact that the engine stand doesn't fit through the door. I'm BIG on planning ahead.

With some creative thinking, we basically decided to close the bulkhead doors, leaving enough room for the chain to move down and go like that. The laugh inducing moment of the evening came when dad was closing the doors and I was getting ready to guide the motor down and he said, "Ok, if something happens, I won't be able to see or hear you."

I told him to listend for a noise like a V-2 rocket and a strangling cat mixed together. If he heard that he was to lift up, and fast!

We do this yearly at his house with the race car motor. The garage isn't heated there and the comfy confines of the basement are better living quarters for that lump. He's got scads more room and no obstructions to deal with. Three neighbors came over to see what the hell was going on though. It was like being at a boat ramp on a Saturday morning in the summer with people watching for you to do something dumb. We didn't make the show worth the price of admission.

If you've recently eaten, avoid these next photos. I pulled the heads off of the motor and found out why it is stuck. I'm not sure if this lump is able to be saved or not. I was pretty diappointed to find this level of bleck inside the motor.

Note the fact that a whole bunch of valves are open at the same time....hmmmm

And the most damning evidence of BIG trouble...

I guess I know why it came off of the road. I plan on pulling the oil pan off tomorrow to see that house of horrors.

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Hell....you put that reply in before I finished mine, hence the re-write.

Look at it like this.....now you can build something with some damn BEANS to it.

Looks like some serious hydro-lock was afoot at the moment those pushrods were bent.

Comment

Looks rough....read up on the HAMB for magic tricks for the unsticking of rusted pistons. Diesel fuel, kerosene, coca cola, Gibbs, Marvel, etc are some of the candidates.

But if you can't save it, I expect there are some used stude motors around that folks have pulled out to replace with bellybuttons....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

what a mess...ugly ugly ugly....

Comment

I'm thinking the muriatic acid trick is perfect for this lump.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Aw Hell....That motor just needs a little wash and paint....It has the optional "offset" pushrods....Haha

Keep up with the photos....so we all can share in the carnage.

Seth
                        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I may video tape the draining of the oil pan because I have the sneaking suspicion that about 30 seconds of water will preceed any oil.

My 283 block and forged crank are giving me that "come hither" look from across the room.

Brian
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

That 283 is pristine compared to the Stude Lump...Parts are cheaper too...

Seth
                            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Coming from an admitted Chevy guy, this may sound strange, but.... PLEASE don't put a SBC in it. Keep it bizarre.

I think one of the supercharged Avanti motors would look just right in there.

Comment

All I could think of with the block opened up is ......Oh my!

Comment

Working...
                                X