Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Studebaker Wagon Saga....follow it here

Brian -
    another thought to consider if you can't find replacement parts for this ole stud mill.....
    measure the diameters and see if there is any prayer of using a rod / piston from another engine. The crank looks quite good - I think with the exception of the one journal with the nick in it that may require a .010 grind, the rest of them should polish up just fine -- if need be you can hunt for .001+ bearings, or, just go .010 on the whole thing if those bearings are available.

Custom pistons are always a possibility - and you can then go with full floating pins.... the question is - if any of those rods are tweaked - can you get replacement OEM units - or are you better off going with something from another engine that's readily available -- even if it requires grinding the crank rod journals (or offset grinding to create a STROKER!) that would be better than re-using questionable rods.

Cool project.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

When I put Tom to bed tonight I'll check the codes on the bearings and see what's what.

The bearings show some wear, but do not look too bad at all. Getting the camshaft out and the lifters is going to be interesting because both are seized VERY tightly into their respective bearings/bores.

Speaking of history's mysteries Jim, here's a question for you. Why do you suppose that there is not a drop of oil in this motor? There was some coating the bearings and the crank, but nothing in the pan, a tiny little puddle in the lifter valley and that's about it. Maybe someone drained the oil out of it and was getting ready to do something with the car? About 2 gallons of water but NO oil at all. The crank is not toasted, although it does have that pretty good nick in it...think that can be turned out Jim? (it's in the photos)

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Hard to say on the nick without seeing it in person. Even if it does not go away completely with a .010" grind it still should not hurt anything...after all, there is an oil film between the crank and bearings.

Someone probalby drained the oil in anticipation of working on it, but never got around to it (for 30 years or however long it sat)

Be very careful with the piston removal, if they are rusted in place then the corrosion has expanded the piston and if you beat on them hard with a bfh it'll probably crack the bores. btdt

If I were you I'd be putting out feelers for another engine to build...maybe a slightly newer Stude engine?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Replacement Pistons will probably not be a problem although it seems that I am going to have to bore this sucker so I'm hoping I can get some oversized jobbers from a place like egge. If not it looks like I'll be calling a piston company and talking turkey.

The connecting rods, being forged steel units (along with the crank too) are not a strength concern for me, but I need to make sure they are still true on both ends.

The good news is that my father in law is the most anal bastard the world has ever known (you know those high level engineer types...he he) and recently built a 440 for his Plymouth. He bought and entire set of very nice gauges, calipers, and other measuring instruments that I'll be able to use to check the block, bores, etc. Replacement rods are available readily as well.

I'm working on trying to find some of the factory Hi-po stuff, which would be cool to use in this motor. Stude had R-1, R-2, and R-3 factory high performance motors (The R-3's were the blower motors) and those parts are out there as well.

I was hoping to find some stamps telling me if the thing had been bored out or not already. There is MAJOR ridges on several of the bores so I'm hoping it's not been hogged already because I am going to have to do that I believe.

Brian

Comment

Generally if the pistons are knurled they're stock size. And oversize pistons almost always have something like 030 stamped into the top, it's hard to miss! aside from that, I can measure to the nearest 1/100 of an inch with a tape measure or steel rule....give it a try...but it's also likely that the block had the ridge reamed out when it was overhauled, so the tops of the bores are probably bigger than the bottoms (unless as mentioned it got a rigid hone job of several thousandths oversize)

If you have access to a bore gage, set it to a mic that is set to the standard bore size (set the bore gage to zero at the standard bore diameter), then it will read the oversize directly in thousandths.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

I'm working on trying to find some of the factory Hi-po stuff, which would be cool to use in this motor. Stude had R-1, R-2, and R-3 factory high performance motors (The R-3's were the blower motors) and those parts are out there as well.

Brian
              Brian ,there's a new guy here on the forum that I work with that he and his dad are into studes in a big way. He can tell you where to get a new stude engine still in the crate .I was talking to him at work today and I told him to post something on the tread but you might PM him if he doesn't. He's 47STUDE

Comment

our 26 chevy had the pistons held on the rods like that don't know bout the stude but ours were just the bolt as a pinch bolt and a smoth pin
                way cool to see this car come apart and be reborn

Comment

Hoosier...thanks for the info. I think you shot me a PM on this as well, but I'm a deadbeat and didn't get back to you.
                  Thanks for lookin' out.

Jay -- I've soaked a couple with PB Blaster overnight so we'll see if I can loosen one up and get a verdict on the role of the mystery bolt.

Brian

Comment

Brian- nah I shot you the pm after I posted just to make sure you saw it a.s.a.p

Comment

WOW !!

Go away for a few days and I've got three pages to catch up on. Nice pics Brian, but so sorry for the lots of water and no oil thing. That pretty much sucks !

Keep us posted ...

Comment

No worries Steve, although I was hoping to find a pet fish for Tom in there.

Brian

Comment

Sorry for the pseudo-threadjack, but who the hell is the cat mentioned a few years ago in HOT ROD that raced an old Studebaker, with an all-Stude drivetrain(or at least the engine was)?

That cat may be the one to get ahold of, Brian......would be WAY cool to see that wagon keep the driveline purity(at least the engine, anyway.....trans and third member are kinda meh)

Comment

Tiresmoke -
                            Yeah, it was bullet nose, and the guy was ancient (read, older than I am, which is saying something!). Can't pull up a name, though. Joe Roberts might know.

Dan

Comment

I believe the R-2's were also supercharged aswell.
                              The bolt doesn't look to hold the rod shut like it does on Buick Straigh 8 or Stovebolt 6 rods so It looks to be anti pin rotation more than anything else. For the lifters I'd soak them in ATF or marvel then get out the torch, C-clamp, and some sort of spacer to put compression on the lifters while you heat them and maybe they'll start to budge.
                              If that crank is really forged, I'd seriously look into putting big journal SBC stuff in it to open up piston sellection and gaurentee to get the knick out of the journal. Probably best to match the stroke to a rod and piston combo with the deck height.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The stude racer is Ted Harbit, he has run studes with success since the 1960's...even winning class at the US Nationals several times. He has a turbo setup on the Chicken Hawk now. I've e-mailed with him already.
                                Ya didn't think I'd miss that guy did ya?! HA!

Jim, the bearings read: 020 6 63

So June 1963 production date pretty much guarantees this thing was apart somewhere in the mid-1960's by my math.

Is the 020 a sizing deal? We're going to be measuring stuff this weekend so I need to source stock specs. I'll harrass the stude club guys for that info.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X