Back to Work on the Race Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Work on the Race Car

I FINALLY got the Camaro (for those of you who are new, it's a '78 w/250 six, used for LSR racing at Maxton) back into the shop and actually did some work on it. The intake and headers are off and the head surface is clean. A little cleaning on the intake and the new Hookers, intake, and new Holley 475 carb (Truck Avenger) can go back on. I'm dying to see how the Hookers fit, compared to my cobbled Cliffords. I'm about to order a pair of collector extensions and some long wheel studs, and should be able to get those in before race weekend. Then off to the dyno and we'll see if I fixed it. I'll keep y'all posted. No pics yet, as there isn't much to show.

Later
    Dan

Re: Back to Work on the Race Car

I'm waiting....

Keep us updated.

Comment

Way to go Dan...Can't wait to see it...

Besides Sarah wants a ride in Ocober... ;D

Seth
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

ABOUT#U&& time :D

Comment

Good for you Dan! btw do you have any leftover speed parts?
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have a Clifford intake (no heat) with the 2 bbl plate and a 4 bbl plate (new). John (Milner) is interested, but I haven't seen the color of his money yet. Not much else, as the Camaro has sucked up the rest.

Dan

Comment

Does the actual COLOR of His $$$$ REALLY make a difference,Dan :D ;D? ~OO6.

Comment

It needs to be cash American and it's more the quantity that concerns me. I was doing a takeoff on "Don't shoot 'till you see the whites of their eyes". Maybe not very well.

Dan

Comment

Dan
                  we'll work something out - I'm confident of that - the timing may be an issue - and keep in mind - this is going into a sedan cruiser - and I need it all - the 292, bellhousing, powerglide, driveshaft - and 55-57 10 bolt or 70 -81 camaro 10 bolt - hopefully with something like 3.08ish gears......
                  at this point - just having something that aint 1 barrel and 3 on the tree will be an enormous improvement, as for the header and AL intake- heck - a 292 is a good candidate for a 600 vac carb aint it? -- if I ever get the edelbrock back off Seth's 'bu - perhaps that would work? oh yea - and what about an HEI dizz???

Sorry to hijack -- get the ding danged camaro done and show us some inline MPH!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

So a good way to get others to buy stuff is to get a third party interested in it

I'd like to see milner351 get the intake if it will help his project!
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

John -
                      Working on the Camaro today - the plan is to get the intake and headers on, the new carb bolted up, and maybe a test firing. Also found out that no one that I could find makes a 2 1/2" collector extension, so I have the bits and will weld 'em up. I have studs and lug nuts on order, as well as a Performance Distributors HEI. That should be here on Wednesday or so, so then the stock HEI will be available. I'll throw it in with the engine stuff, but I don't remember if the 250 and 292 dists have the same shaft length - I'll have to dig out my Leo Santucci book and have a look.

Hope it works out to have Dave pick it all up - unless you and your bride want to make a trip to NC - be glad to have you!

Later
                      Dan

Comment

Dan, Leo is a smart guy.

I had the unfortunate experience of seeing his last ever trip down the drag strip driving a car. It was a horrific wreck that completely destroyed his 1940's era Chevrolet.

He's got someone else doing the driving duties now.

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

The new Stude looks GREAT. I was really sorry to hear that he totaled the Chevy - I think it was a 1950. He got the car from his aunt, and it had been in the family since new. I understand Leo was pretty messed up, and he wasn't a youngster when it happened - like 68 or 70. I guess he's doing OK now, but his wife said no more driving, and that may have been wise.

Later
                          Dan

Comment

The car hauled ass.

It pretzeled the drive shaft at about 900-1000 feet. The driveshaft got under the rear tires (explain that?!) and pitched the car to the left. It climbed the wall and rolled 5-7 times along the top of the concrete wall. It was an all steel car that looked like someone had attacked it with a sawzall. The entire roof was opened like a can of Tuna.

I was one of the first guys down to the car and the debris field was massive.

The car was sitting with the two passenger side wheels on the wall and the drivers door was nearly touching the ground. Leo was out like a light, hanging in his belts with one of his arms actually hanging outside the car...the EMTs (that the track employs) used the jaws of life (that the track owns) to cut the remains of the cage to extract him. The car was sooo thrashed that instead of pulling the heap onto the ramp truck and bringing it back to the pits, we slung chains around it and carried it back with the big loader.

At one point, I swear the car was 10-15 feet in the air rolling.

Brian
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Entry #2.

Is there some kind of rule that says that headers can't fit properly? The new Hookers don't fit!!! One tube for the rear set hits a brace for the control arm (immovable) and I couldn't get it to fit with what I consider a reasonable dimple. Before I started throwing stuff and messed up an expensive set of tubes, I took it over to a local fab shop guy and he'll move the tube to where it needs to be. I'm not real familiar with how they jig these to build them, but if they'd pushed the tube a bit further thru the flange and rotated it a teense in the collector, it would have been great. Maybe the operator has some discretion as he's fitting the whole deal up? Anyhow, the fab guy has a plan and it won't cost me a fortune. We have a break coming thanks to Hannah, so it doesn't set me back much time-wise, but it's frustrating.

Grumble - grumble!!!!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X