Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Additional Daily Beater (TSB, this has you all over it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Daily Beater (TSB, this has you all over it)

Well I'm always on the lookout for a cool Buick item on my local craigslist because.... well ya'll understand, you're junkies. I've run across http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/826798476.html for sometime now and its not sell, understand why though. Its an X-body clone, 4drs, and not in the best shape; not to mention I think a bit pricey for the above mentioned stuff. However it does look practical, easy to upgrade, and the buckets and console shifter are kinda cool aswell. Being a '78 its going to be an early short port evenfire 3.8. However I do have a spare set of 6293 tall port heads off of an 84 252 and some oversized valves, a likely messed up set of home ported 8445's with no valves, a 252 4bbl intake, spare timing cover setup, a few more misc parts laying around from my turbo6 build. Am I getting "too carjunkie" about this as a beater driver to keep the miles off of my Lincoln and maybe even out on gas (Lincoln burns premium) with a junkyard TH200-4R and a top end swap? Or would I be better off just getting a econo-crapbox beater like my old Tempo that wouldn't die?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Additional Daily Beater (TSB, this has you all over it)

If you are looking for pure mileage you are probably better off with an econo-crap box. My Skylark was a worn odd-fire engine and with the 200r4 (which swapped in with Zero Modifications!) never got above 23 mpg. Seemed the engine was always working way too hard, even with 3.23 gears. The '78 probably has either 3.23 or 3.08's. I've heard just going to an even fire is good for 20hp, plus a few top end choices you mentioned might make it a better cruiser engine than mine was. (fyi, the 455 with a restricted exhaust and non-optimized timing got 23mpg as well but was way more fun to drive!)
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

$2500??????????????

That's a lot of dough for a $500 car

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
        $2500??????????????
        I couldn't even get that when my car had paint and decent interior! I tried, Twice!
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          $2500??????????????

Thinking the same thing

Comment

Oh I have no arguement with the price, I'd offer them $1200 if I felt like I could start driving it everyday without worrying about parts falling off, it failling to start or stop, or getting infected or stabbed by the interior. For some reason however all I can think of is the $75 '76 455 also in craigslist, the TH200-4R in the pull a part, and Seville parts.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

$2500? Wow. In 1989 my Brother found & bought a '69 Buick Special 2-Door 'Post-Sedan.' It's White with a standard Gold Vinyl gut,no Radio/Power-Steering/no Power-Brakes,ect. All it has is a Heater. It's in absoultely A-1/100% rust free condtion. It STILL has ALL 5 of it's origional Tyres,ect,ect. When He bought it,it had 5100 origional miles on it. He drove it off & on for about 2 years. Today it has about 6000 miles on it. He paid $800 for it from the origional owners. It was owned by the local all Girl's School's Head Nun. The 'actual' owner was the Arch Dioasis of Phila. ~OO6.

Comment

Working...
              X