No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Originally posted by milner351
    Interesting that the "non linear" correction - is actually linear!
    I noticed that too when I went to take the screen snapshot :D The reason it's called a non-linear correction is because if you can figure out the two variables to use in the danged formula (I believe I talked to you about) then it'd do it linearly with out the table. But using the table is simple, and has the same linear result apparently :P I'm sure there is some odd ball reason, exhaust/intake system out there that would require a bend in the curve.

So far it's running pretty good after the cam swap. I seriously need to break out the timing light and verify my timing since I pulled the distributor. I expect it to be off by no less than two degrees, I'll be shocked if I actually dropped the distributor and tightened it down in exactly the right place. That being said though, with my re-vamp of the tables, it fires right up cold and is idling nicely. Last night I worked on some engine acceleration in neutral, getting rid of some lean outs there, which gives a good base line to set the fuel table up for when it's in gear loaded (start rich work your way lean!). I then put the rear on jack stands, pulled the drive shaft and removed the pinion nut, so today after work I'll pop the pinion seal out and replace it and hopefully get it back together tonight.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

do you have some way to hold the pinion flange while tightening the nut?

We ended up drilling a couple holes in a long piece of angle iron, I now have a "special tool" one leg of the angle is drilled for 10 3/4" truck axles, the other for 8.8" ;D
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I don't have a special way, infact I wasn't really happy with the torque I got on it. I can't seem to get the car/axle high enough off the ground either to get a good pull/push on the breaker bar. So I set it the best I could last time :-\ Probably the source of the whine on de-accel. I'll do my best to torque it up this time too. That Angle iron tool sounds pretty good!

Comment

Just be careful on jack stands.

If you can get some type of bar bolted to the flange that is long enough to rest on the ground, you can torque against that to get the 250ft-lb or whatever it is you need to torque that thing to...

Comment

Oh I know about being weary about jackstands. For the 3.70's the axle was out of the car and I used a simple wedge and a cheater bar on the breaker bar (for the crush spacer). Under the car I can't get enough room to put a cheater bar on >

I need a big air compressor, I now have some pretty heavy duty impact guns in the basement :-\

Comment

Keep an eye out for good used compressor - and get that shop built!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                Oh I know about being weary about jackstands. For the 3.70's the axle was out of the car and I used a simple wedge and a cheater bar on the breaker bar (for the crush spacer). Under the car I can't get enough room to put a cheater bar on >

I need a big air compressor, I now have some pretty heavy duty impact guns in the basement :-\
                I have never seen an Impact that will start the crush on a crush colar. I have a heavy duty one and a huge compressor at work don't happen
                I own the holding fixture from kent more and a big pipe on a big braker bar is how you get it started once it starts to crush it is easy but doing it on the ground on jack stands SUCKS!!!!

Comment

DONE! Car is back on the ground, *whew*. Used a novel approach to really torquing down the pinion nut. Stuck a pry bar through the rim and once it hit the caliper bracket, perfectly stopped Then folding up under the car in only a manner a contortionist should, I propped my foot on the slapper bar and my knee on the backside of my hand on the pry bar. Then by prying against the car (safer than prying from the ground when on jack stands) with my calf muscles, and pulling with my arms it turned and turned and turned. Definately better than it was.

I have the parking brake set, but this side has kinda a week bite.

Comment

A HUNDRED PAGES OF THE SILVER BUICK!! AFTER THE LADIES THREAD, THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST READ! CONGRATS, RANDALL FOR KEEPING US INTERESTED!
                    67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                    05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

HAHA, thanks Scott! I'm just a regular guy doing ridicolous work to a completely unvaluable car ;D :P

Looks like I'm 15000 views and 350 posts behind Seth's Malibu :P

Comment

You blew by my thread in views. I may give a run when I get down and dirty on the Impy this winter. lol.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Yes you will! Your car has infinate more appeal than mine to the general masses.

Comment

I'm just glad I got to got some seat time in both Randal's buick, and Scott's Impala in a single trip to Vegas! ;D
                            (and Remy's Monte SS too)

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                              I'm just glad I got to got some seat time in both Randal's buick, and Scott's Impala in a single trip to Vegas! ;D
                              (and Remy's Monte SS too)
                              Two badass street machines and a rental car. Nice! :D
                              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Car whore, shoulda charged ya fifty bucks a ride :D After all, it is Vegas ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X