No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Is there a TPS on it? does it use that for figuring fuel at idle?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
      Is there a TPS on it? does it use that for figuring fuel at idle?
      There's a TPS. I am not sure how Randal is using it - I only use TPS for Accellerator Pump functions, and "flood clear" and datalogging throttle position.

Which brings up a good point, Randal are you using any MAP-based enrichments? Big swings in MAP right after startup can trigger a ton of enrichments.

WHERE IS OUR DATALOG PICTURE ??? ;)

Also, I'll argue that opening up the iac a bit will show a load change just before it shows an RPM change. On a speed density config anyways. My point was that the IAC position itself should not have a direct effect on fuel quantity, which should all be handled by measuring RPM, MAP, and temps.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Thanks for the explanation of all this stuff Scott.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

I think Randal popped the power valve.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Went to Salt Lake this weekend. Some of the timing and fuel tweaks might be working, knocked down almost 19mpgs over 550 miles. Hey DG, that beats the Q-jet :D :D

Also the cold had gotten to the Skylark's battery, it's had a dead cell (or something up) for the last month or so. It would give me one good crank and then not have enough juice to crank again. Went to Autozone while I was in Utah and they ran their battery tester and sure enough tested bad so had no trouble exhanging the battery that turned out to only be 2 years old. Kinda odd to go bad that quickly as often as I drive it.

Also picked up a welding helmet, some gloves and a gas bottle for the welder. I will soon be more dangerous :P Thanks for the info Chad!
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

that's good about the mileage, not bad for a motor that big!

what kinda welder you got?
              My fabulous web page

Comment

And I'm greedy and want more mpg's :D

A Millermatic 140 is in the mail. It should be a good start for small things I'm likely to do.

Comment

Randal, the battery failure is probably due to removal at Speedweek and installed in the #1950 Buick on the starting line.

Comment

Good call on the welder Randal!

Make sure you get a good helmet - and get one of the calculators from the miller store as well - so you'll have a good handle on where to set the machine based on the thickness of material and type of joint you'll be welding.

Before long you're going to wonder how you lived without a welder!

Nice work on the Buick - 19mpg is pretty darned respectable out of that many cubes!
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Well there ya go .... I still think you can top 20 mpg with some more tweaking.
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by GH
                        Randal, the battery failure is probably due to removal at Speedweek and installed in the #1950 Buick on the starting line.
                        Thought crossed my mind, but Autozone didn't need to know that :D It was still in the free exchange period ;D

Comment

Play more with some IAC settings. Found another place to look, I noticed there was a delay for the IAC to go from crank to run settings set for 5 seconds, which seems pretty close to the run for a few seconds and lean out and die. So I made the following changes.

Bumped the number for the IAC deciding if its cold or warm from 32*f to 100*F, so it'll consider itself cold below 100*F, and openned up the IAC when cold almost all the way (now should get richer from there!), the bumped the time to 30 seconds just to see if the timing of the stall changed (if it even stalled after the last change).

So I loaded that in, and with the coolant temp at 34*F and the first cold start of the day, it fired right up and did not stall out. Now though, with the 30 second delay, it does the same thing our Ford trucks at work do, even warm it high idles for a while before dropping down when first started. So I think I'll back the 30 seconds off a bit as that actually bugs me more than the cold stall :P

I had been doing the leaning out of the fuel map with a axe up to 2500rpm, now I've gone back through the area below 1500rpm (well below cruise) and put more fuel in to bring the power back off the line. First gear had been a little "torque-less" until the engine was really loaded up (~WOT). Now first has some of it's power back making starting from a stop even easier, and I need to clean up the fuel curve when the engine is loaded up (i.e. not cruising or light throttle).

Comment

I purchased the full version of the TunerStudio software that I use to tune the MegaSquirts and it allows me to customize the display cluster/gauges on the screen and I'm thinking of going to a half digital dash. Get a small net book permanently mounted in the car with a small LCD screen behind the cluster trim.

I was playing around with the design earlier and put this together fairly quick. I'd change the background color of the screen to black as well as spend more time centering the gauges.

I'd do full digital if I figure out how to wire in the vehicle speed sensor into the MegaSquirt and get the TunerStudio program to display it as a speedo. I'd get a standalone Fuel Gauge if I did that.

Comment

Awesome!
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

8 inch LCD's are just perfect sizes for two pods. The pods are 3" diameter, with the space between the two it's about 6.75" across that I need.

Here is one that's $179, it's a bit over 7 inches across and 5 inches tall is more than sufficient.

Comment

Working...
                                X