No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the insulation and where do you get it?
    Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

• It's just bubble wrap type stuff with a reflective coating on it. Can be found at pretty much any hardware store in the insulation section. I just picked a roll of it up for $18 today.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• buy some carpet for it....relatively cheap and easy way to make the car quite a bit more pleasant inside.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          buy some carpet for it....relatively cheap and easy way to make the car quite a bit more pleasant inside.
          I was curious to why you don't have carpet yet as well.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I'm too lazy to pull the front seat out =P I agree with you guys though.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              I'm too lazy to pull the front seat out =P I agree with you guys though.
              I know that once that giant ass bench is out, you will be buying buckets for it too.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I'd like to get some Pontiac Phoenix bucket seats, front and back. There was a guy with a Nova on Drag Week last year that had Phoenix interior and it looked comfy.

Putting a dent in my todo list.

The big job for the day was getting the LCD display behind the dash cluster bezel. I didn't finish the install, but I'm over the half way point.

Cluster is out. Lots of wiring I did around a decade ago that I would do much nicer now if I were to do it again, but I'm not going to worry about it now since it's been doing it's job for a long time.

From the front with a complete cluster bezel.

I used a long bolt and a large washer to hold screen to the cluster body.

I mocked it up before calling it the night. I have to pull it back out so I can install the blinker and highbeam indicator lights. I'm going to use some LED's behind the stock covers so I can go around the screen and still have the indicator lights working in front of the screen.

Comment

• cool!

It must have been hot in Wendover... I notice "A/C" made it onto the list with an after-thought color.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• It's been on the list for a long time. I've had all the parts to install it for the last TWO years and simply haven't done it.

Comment

• it's hard to get motivated to get ac working when you live where you don't need it. I have the same problem
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• That about sums it up

Comment

• To give you an idea of how little Randal needs AC....my fingers were numb leaving his house on a nice summer morning. That's the middle of August. It was about 40 degrees outside.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• I have been using the same excuse with my Caprice. But now I need to get my compressor rebuilt, or buy a replacement. I have finally figured out my valve train issues, and replaced the heads, so I can't use those excuses any more

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              To give you an idea of how little Randal needs AC....my fingers were numb leaving his house on a nice summer morning. That's the middle of August. It was about 40 degrees outside.
                              haha, yeah. I bundle up decently when I ride my motorcycle to work at 5:30am.

Comment

• Got the cluster installed and functional. I have a hiccup with the highbeam indicator and it came loose so doesn't quite illuminate properly, but otherwise good. I must of tightened up some grounds as the volt meter has historically read 1-1.5v low and now seems to be pretty close.

Guess I should of used something more substantial than scotch tape. And actually in retrospect I should of used electrical or duct tape because I can see the flash of the LED behind the bezel. As mentioned the high beam LED came loose, so I can see it light up the speedo when the highbeams are turned on. So kind of works =P

All wired in and ready for install. I hate tampering with the circuit backing because its so fragile.

A picture of it installed and software running.

I made a video of it. I have been running some tests of making changes on my laptop and remotely uploading the changes to the car computer. In that process I currently having it do a full boot, so it's taking longer than usual and I reset the AFR gauge and the lean limits, so it's turning red when lean. I can fix these issue pretty quickly though.

Comment

Working...
                                X