No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got it fired up. All the changes I made to the fuel system and some wiring just seemed to eat away at my time. Had two injector o-rings that got cut on install so had to replace them. I didn't RTV the bottom side of the valve cover gaskets and I may have to go back and do so as the passenger side one appeared to weep a bit and the driver's side plain leaked until I put more torque down on the bolts, but I'm not convinced it fully stopped the leaks.

The new cam pulls a ton more vacuum than the old one for sure. Before it used to idle at 65% load (MAP/Baro) and the new one idles around 22-25% load (MAP/Baro) so the old tune was not happy at all. I ha So back to the basics of tuning EFI yourself.

One of the issues that confounded me for the first 20 minutes though was it would just die after sitting at idle for 10-15 seconds. A little throttle and I could keep it running, but after checking that it wasn't a fuel pressure issue, the data logs would show a drop off of commanded fuel and it'd sputter out. I kept adding fuel, but it kept doing it. Then I realized what was going on, it was switching over to the mini "Idle VE" table, which wasn't re-scaled and that was commanding less fuel. D'oh! Once I shut that feature off the tuning effort got easier and it started doing exactly what I wanted it to.

First step was to lock the timing and verify it at the crank. MegaSquirt makes that easy with a simple drop down selection to lock the timing at a set value. I picked 18º because if the timing is off one way or the other ~15º it shouldn't hurt the engine. Due to the crank trigger's location being fixed the timing was spot on Then leaving it locked so the only variable should be fuel.

Then over to the VE fuel table (which I already tampered with to get it to idle long enough to check the timing) I had to re-bin the tables because the lowest on my old table was 35kPa, and the engine now wanted well below that. Then I grabbed a group of blocks around where it was idling and added fuel until it was happy at 13:1 AFR then re-scaled the rest of the table from there so it had a similar shape as the old table. Of course it's just a base line that will need re-fining. A few free rev's already told me it was too lean to start with, but it was getting late and I'm sure my neighbors don't want me at this hour repeatedly revving the engine as I make changes.

The old and "new" table. Its set to be running rich at idle at the moment as its far easier to tune rich to lean than lean to rich. The y-axis is the load range, which I re-scaled, and may re-scale again depending what it wants when actually driving. I re-scaled the spark advance table as well, but have the timing capped at 32º to keep it on the safe side. I'll give it more timing when I am satisfied enough with the fuel that it won't ping from too much timing.

I have a pile of yard work to take care of tomorrow, but if I get it done I'm hoping to get the car out on the road
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 12, 2015, 09:55 PM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• You ARE a magic man! Luckily, Mutt's fuel injection system needs none of this or he'd still be sitting, lifeless, in the shop.

Dan

Comment

• OH and for those keeping track, I used the proper bolts for the pressure plate and a torque wrench and red loc-tite on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts

Comment

• Looking back,

Car Craft February 2009.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/project-v...ect-car-guide/

Fun times!
          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 13, 2015, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Got it up and running and does it run smooth, and the exhaust note is certainly quieter. I cheated and turned the MegaSquirt's Auto-Tune on to take it for a quick drive down the street and back and does it ever have a bunch of torque. However I am fighting some oil leaks. May just be the valve cover gaskets, which are definitely weeping (I didn't RTV the bottom side of the gasket), or it may be the equalization line is leaking despite testing it on the stand. So I'm looking at pulling the engine Wednesday and sticking it back in the car on Friday. I have softball games after work Tuesday and Thursday, but shouldn't take too long as many of the changes/updates I made actually make it easier and quicker to remove and install the engine now that they are in place.

It was good to be back behind the wheel of it again.

Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 13, 2015, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• It'll be interesting to see how the various related functions change with your cam change, meaning cold start, accel, etc. Nice job on the change over.

I hate oil leaks which is one of the reasons I've cheated with vac-u-pan set-ups and now the Paterson Wide Vac pump. The engine still needs to be well sealed for those to work, but better pulling air in than forcing it out. I'm a big fan of the Cometic VC gaskets now, first ones I've used that are really reusable and don't leak. The others that are a little off the beaten path are the Earl's which may have the Buick V8 application. Last, my recent discovery of "the Right Stuff" which it seems everyone knew about but me is way better at sealing lubricant leaks than RTV. There is grey and black. I was told it was hell to get things off with the Right Stuff, but the grey hasn't been an issue on the 9" rear and for the first time ever it stays completely dry.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• I have the same valve cover gaskets on my 55 that came on the engine in 1989. Metal core, silicone, but they have a few more bolts holding them on than a Buick.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• I used Grey RTV on the top half of the gasket and dry on the bottom half with a rubber gasket. Only having five bolts, two on the low side doesn't help either. I did some "body work" to the valve covers hoping that they'd be flatter and increase my chances at keeping them sealed up dry, but guess not.

I've set it up to have a vacuum system like my Firebird, but have not yet built the catch can, so for the time being it has a simple breather on the evac port. Tonight I plan on assembling a catch can, at which point I'll plumb in the evac lines.

Comment

• Since I wasn't going to spend a bunch of money on fab valve covers just to try my coil on plug idea out I bought cheap ones. I bought some nice fab aluminum valve covers for $75 shipped! They actually turned out to be rather nice, so far so good as far as leaks go and the small block mopar only has 5 bolts as well but 3 of them are across the bottom.
                    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

• On my BBB in a '80 C15 I used the aftermarket spreaders that go under the valve cover bolts. Sold for SBCs as I recall. Anyhow, they fit and worked. I'll see if I can find a pic.......

This should be a link -

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...oview=SKU&ar=1

As I recall they fit right on there with no modification but that was MANY years ago.

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; July 14, 2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• Years and years ago I used to have a set of those spreaders on my Pontiac. I just ordered a set from Amazon, should be here Thursday. Thanks Dan

I thought about getting a nice set of cast aluminum valve covers, but then I'd have to go back to the drawing board with the ignition coil mounting, particularly since I cannot weld aluminum. Looking though, they are ~$160-$180, which is about $100 less than I thought they were going for, but the oil fill hole is re-located to right where I have the #1 ignition coil currently mounted.

Comment

• The good news is many of the changes I made to simplify removal and installation have worked like a charm and I pulled the engine out in a bit over an hour. The downside is the valve covers did not appear to be leaking anymore and the rear was fairly dry, and the equalization line fitting and tube were dry as can be so not the source of the leak, but the oil pan rail in the rear were wet with oil, so it was coming from somewhere.

Then I saw this thread. Wish I had saw it sooner. http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...t-Oil-pan-Leak I think I am seeing the same issue so tomorrow or Friday I'll un-bolt the oil pan and remove the rear seal and Right Stuff it. I may destroy the oil pan gasket, so will probably have to change that too. Will see how the grey RTV behaves.
                          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 15, 2015, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• I pulled the pan down some, removed the rear oil pan seal, beaded in some Right Stuff all the way around and tightened it back up. I also did not like how easy the oil pan bolts came loose even though I had "re-torqued" them a day after initially putting the pan on, so each bolt got a dab of blue loc-tite too. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to put the engine and transmission back into the car.

And the lower two bolts of the valve covers got long clamps and the short ones I had moved to the outer two top bolts.

Comment

• Hope this seals 'er up!

Dan

Comment

• RIGHT STUFF!
                                Probably wreck the valvecovers when you try to remove them!

Comment

Working...
                                X