No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just needs to be able to fit a basic Windows 7 install and about 200MB of other program's and data.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Today I ordered a new hard drive. No special deals going on one and went with the SanDisk one. Should be here in a couple days.

In the mean time I messed with the launch control settings some more and got it to go up on the 2-step without making an excessive amount of noise. Pulling just enough fuel out to quiet up. I turned on the traction control and flat shift too, maybe I'll give them a test out this week. I tried the traction control on the snow behind the barn but it didn't seem to do anything, so I either need to adjust the settings or just have to set wrong.

I have the 2-step set to 3,000rpm.

Comment

• Finally got around to installing the hard drive, software, etc and getting all the settings back to where they were. Instead of using Window's Remote Desktop (which requires a hack in Windows 7) I decided to try VNC desktop sharing and it works really well. The nice thing about the VNC is both computers share the same screen, interactions, etc. Unlike Remote Desktop where my laptop just got its own desktop on the car computer. This allows me to adjust the gauge layouts on my laptop screen remotely while instantaneously viewing how they look on the dash.

I think I also got the boot sequence to be a bit shorter, but haven't timed it yet. Its a faster hard drive and I trimmed some wait time off the startup sequence. I also added a "boot from USB" priority to the system, and hope to make a bootable "emergency" thumbdrive for down the road if the hard drive toasts itself again I can just stick the thumb drive in and it'll work.

Comment

• Oh you crazy kids and your electrons! I'm not sure I trust gages with electric readouts never mind all THIS fancy stuff.

Dan

Comment

• I really enjoy reading about how you are able to use computers to do this stuff. Hopefully one day I'll get
            to the point where I can use some of it.

Comment

• Frosty morning drive today.

The intake air temps were below 10ºF for a bit, showing 13ºF here after the radiator and engine bay heat. Burr.

Last edited by TheSilverBuick; January 27, 2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Yucch! We got lucky and had a warm, sunny day yesterday so I installed the new headlights in the HHR - they had gotten beyond shining them up. Overcast today but in the 50s.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Oh you crazy kids and your electrons! I'm not sure I trust gages with electric readouts never mind all THIS fancy stuff.

Dan
                  Don't forget the good old seat of the pants feel too, Dan
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Nothing new, just driving it and driving it on any day the roads are clear.

Comment

• dang, you need a carport!
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• ....or put the motorhome outside..
                        Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Originally posted by MP&C View Post
                          ....or put the motorhome outside..
                          I've been there - that's the neighbor's place. If you look to the FAR left of the pic you can see Randal's shop, behind the little tree.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; March 4, 2016, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Haha, that trailer in the distance is the neighbor's. We did a bunch of garage cleaning yesterday and the garage parking spot is stacked with boxes and junk that needs to go to the landfill. It'll be back in the garage before I go back to work. I don't like scraping ice off the window's if I can help it

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              Finally got around to installing the hard drive, software, etc and getting all the settings back to where they were. Instead of using Window's Remote Desktop (which requires a hack in Windows 7) I decided to try VNC desktop sharing and it works really well. The nice thing about the VNC is both computers share the same screen, interactions, etc. Unlike Remote Desktop where my laptop just got its own desktop on the car computer. This allows me to adjust the gauge layouts on my laptop screen remotely while instantaneously viewing how they look on the dash.

I think I also got the boot sequence to be a bit shorter, but haven't timed it yet. Its a faster hard drive and I trimmed some wait time off the startup sequence. I also added a "boot from USB" priority to the system, and hope to make a bootable "emergency" thumbdrive for down the road if the hard drive toasts itself again I can just stick the thumb drive in and it'll work.

You're scaring me.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• If you're following the Firebird thread then you'll understand where this came from. I decided to see how the Skylark's MAP signal looks by crank angle. No surprises. The rpm's a bit elevated because the engine was still warming up, but overall looks fairly balanced. The vacuum port is at the back of the intake plenum.

Comment

Working...
                                X