No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

For HBS. When I get back to work on the car, the temp guage is going away (the single in the three gauge holder), the stereo wires hanging are from the glove box being removed in prep of the MS and Relay Board installation. I'm thinking of moving the Oil Pressure gauge up to the A-pillar, I have a vacuum gauge mounted on the A-pillar now, if I can I'll mount both there.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Very clever with that tach arrangement. Any updates Randal ?

Comment

Nothing new to report on this car. I'll be ordering a lakewood bellhousing/scatter shield for it in a week or so. Hopefully sometime in November I'll be getting to work on the chassis in preparation for the engine and fuel injection. Namely putting V-8 springs in the front, working on the frame mounts for the engine, run a return fuel line and setting up the sub-frame connectors (which may wait until after the engine's running and for when I upgrade the rear end). Looking like another out door January engine swap for this car *sigh* but it'll be worth it.

For the time being I'm collecting parts while I've been driving around and working on the Thunderbird. I've been chasing electrical noise interfering with the MegaSquirt intermittently (I think I got it now), cold start up (warm starts right up!) and improved general drivability. I hope to have it as close to perfect as I can with out a dyno it in the next few weeks so I can begin the Skylark project =)

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
          Nothing new to report on this car. I'll be ordering a lakewood bellhousing/scatter shield for it in a week or so. Hopefully sometime in November I'll be getting to work on the chassis in preparation for the engine and fuel injection. Namely putting V-8 springs in the front, working on the frame mounts for the engine, run a return fuel line and setting up the sub-frame connectors (which may wait until after the engine's running and for when I upgrade the rear end). Looking like another out door January engine swap for this car *sigh* but it'll be worth it.

For the time being I'm collecting parts while I've been driving around and working on the Thunderbird. I've been chasing electrical noise interfering with the MegaSquirt intermittently (I think I got it now), cold start up (warm starts right up!) and improved general drivability. I hope to have it as close to perfect as I can with out a dyno it in the next few weeks so I can begin the Skylark project =)
          Awesome! I'm a fan of those Disco bodies, because no one drives them, gives the car a rebellious musclecar vibe. I also dig the high MPG big block idea. It' ll be interesting to see what happens with that cam.

Comment

Quick short update. I went to Elko yesterday to have the 10:1 pistons swapped onto the connecting rods. I don't know what the going rate is, but I thought $50 flat for same day service was a smokin deal. Here are two more pictures of the pistons with my ultra scientific measuring method :D Dimes fit more closely than pennies and the CD case was the nearest straight edge =P

8.5:1 Piston 5 dimes deep

10:1 Piston 3 dimes deep, and the amount of material above the top ring is greater. I haven't measured it, but I think it there is more height to these ones. I'm guessing my combo will yield closer to 9.5:1

I promise I'll be doing a real cc'ing when I go to actually assemble the engine. I now believe I have all the parts ready to start assembly on the engine now. I have to get the car ready for the EFI and fix several short cuts that were made in the original installation of the 455.

Comment

Nope, hope and pray. I've never had both pistons off the rods at the same time to check, nor did I weigh the whole rod and piston assembly. Both pistons however were from the same manufacturer for what that's worth. :-\

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                For HBS.
                Dude, the "ashtray tach" is trick! I'd think abut leaving it that way, especially if you can close the ashtry with it in there!

Comment

Today I started working on the Skylark again. The list of things I need to do before I put the engine back in or begin engine assembly is:

-Fix the Frame Mounts the Engine Mounts bolt to - to do this I needed to remove the lower control arms.
                  -Since the lower control arms are off, might as well replace all the A-arm bushings, aw heck since I'm there replace the ball joints. Included replacing the front springs with a set for a V-8.
                  -Run a new fuel line and associated return line for the EFI, setting up a place for a surge tank.
                  -Fix/replace the A/C box.

So today I moved the car and removed the A-arms. This went much smoother than with the Thunderbird. No rust fighting me, surpisingly little grease and grim built up around the ball joints, and I had a better idea of how to approach the job than when I started with the T-bird. Here are some pictures from today.

My first order of buisness was to get the car out into the sun, where I had it parked was in the shade all day, and when the day time highs are around 50*F sun is important. For fear of neighbor's complaining of my car torn a part for the near future I decided to keep to the backyard. Yes, that was ice on the back window until I put it in the sun.

This picture is for Jim (Squirrel) ;)

Now I have room around the car to work.

The view this morning looking out the kitchen window. Can you tell I don't have a wife?

The Empty engine bay.

I was really hoping FabricatorDave's car had A/C, guess I'll get one from the junkyard when I go to CA.

The Driver side control arm bushings are pretty rotted, though not eaten through like the T-bird's were.

The passenger side ones aren't as bad looking.

The worse spot of rust is just above the frame, by the jack stand.

Up close. It's the only place I could see the rust has gone completely through the floor. Most of it is surface rust.

To start with today's task. Such tiny brakes, hoping to upgrade, which requires spindles.

Much cleaner than the T-bird.

The Spindle removed.

Plenty of dirt piled up in the spring perch.

Got both sides removed in no time.

Easy access to bolt the motor mount brackets in now.

The Control arms removed with just enough cleaned up to remove the ball joints and bushings.
                  The Tops:

The Bottoms:

The view out my Kitchen window now ;D

Comment

You're getting to be quite the little front end man, arencha?! Good progress. Mom heads back to FL on Thursday and I'll get back on the Camaro - unless it's too chilly, in which case I'll work on getting the new (to me) heater installed.

Dan

Comment

Looking Good.....I see you are also a little anal retentive when placing parts for pictures..... ;)

Me too... ;D

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

It looks like you moved your car! that's good.

Chevys are a piece of cake, although the lower ball joints may be fun. They're pressed in

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          It looks like you moved your car! that's good.

Chevys are a piece of cake, although the lower ball joints may be fun. They're pressed in
                          Doh! I was worried about that. No real big problem though, the owner of a local shop in town is pretty cool and helpful.

Comment

you know with the engine out that half of the ac box comes off kinda easy you could take it off and fix while motor is out

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
                              you know with the engine out that half of the ac bok comes off kinda easy you could take it off and fix while motor is out
                              I'll probably pop the fenderwell out to see what I can accomplish with out pulling the fender. In the mean time when I go to CA in a couple weeks I'm going to try and get one while there.

Comment

it looks to me that all you have to do is un bolt inner half of box it comes apart on center line of evaporator

Comment

Working...
                                X