No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

There's an 87 blazer rearend on the local craigslist for $15, I wonder if it's still available...3.42 posi...probably a govlock.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I am shooting for 3.42 to 3.55 gears. Govlock? Is that the one that works on inertia?
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

2.56 would make for killer gas mileage......once you get it rolling.....You might need a push truck ;D ;D

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Funny thing about the 2.56's is that there are quite a few Buick guys that run those gears with TH400's, and cross the 1/4 mile in second gear. Granted those are 12 and 13 second cars usually (which I'd be fine with), but I have a 5-speed ;D

Comment

govloc works when one wheel spins faster than other and locks posi clutches up .but once your going like 25 mph it unlocks again . will not stay locked but there is a way to keep it from unlocking based on speed. takes a little grinding

Comment

govlock is short for governor lock, it uses a governor (weights and springs) to turn a gear that turns a cam that presses the posi clutches together. Quite a rube goldberg affair.

and they break sometimes

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                govlock is short for governor lock, it uses a governor (weights and springs) to turn a gear that turns a cam that presses the posi clutches together. Quite a rube goldberg affair.

and they break sometimes

As I understand it they break every time. I gotta wonder if there is a way to remove the governor thingy and just shim up the side gears so it will work like normal.

Comment

I had one of those in an Astro van I had. I changed the diff oil at 35,000 miles and one of the teeth was broken off the ring gear. I dug it out of the housing, bolted the cover back on and never looked at it again. I drove it a couple hundred thousand miles like that. The diff worked fine the whole time I owned it.
                  Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Today I emptied out the axle housing. I'm trying to decide what route to go with the rear end for parts. Find a serviceable/rebuilt factory carrier or go aftermarket? Use the stock axles or order some up? What ratio to go for? Decisions decisions. I think I'll ask a question in the tech section. (http://www.freiburgersjunkyard.com/f...4412#msg164412)

After the carrier was removed. I did not expect the pinion gear to be as large as it is.

The carrier, complete with 2.56 ring :-\

The axle splines. I haven't counted them. Can anyone tell at a glance, or is there another way to i.d. them?

The pinion gear/shaft removed.

The empty housing, time to get it cleaned up.

Comment

I went out to take some pictures for FabricatorDave, here is one of them. He says I didn't have to put the white stuff down for contrast :P Looks like the axles I got are 28 spline, and the wheel patter is definately the larger pattern. I got both spindles down to bare metal, now just trying to decide how/when/where to paint them in this cold. Once I have the calipers rebuilt (in a couple days) I'll put the front suspension back together.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                        I got both spindles down to bare metal, now just trying to decide how/when/where to paint them in this cold.
                        Living room. :D
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                          Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                          I got both spindles down to bare metal, now just trying to decide how/when/where to paint them in this cold.
                          Living room. :D
                          I painted accessory brackets and stuff in the basement last January, the whole house smelled like I was getting high off paint for a few days.

Comment

Incense. hehe. You can smell good and be high.

Seriously, paint with all the windows open and the heat off, or paint outside. Then close up or bring them in to dry in warmth. Oh yeah, bring the parts in the night before so they are warm and not frozen.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

make a hanging rack inside and out. take a propane torch heat them up inside (dont burn the house down) paint cans in side so there warm. get them to the point where they will almost burn you take out side paint leave out for a few minites bring back in should still be kinda warm and almost dry to touch . when i work on stuff at work i hate waiting for paint to dry i heat up almost everything!!

Comment

I'm taking a break so I thought I'd post a couple quick pictures. I just got the rotor's back from having them cleaned up. The local tire store is looking into ordering some tires for the rims I have. So the front won't be sitting on the ground until some tires show up :-\ The Front Calipers for the Seville and my Skylark are identical, so I'll probably just clean up the ones on the car so I don't have to bleed the system yet. I'll probably rebuild the Seville calipers and pop them on when I do the rear axle.

The Passenger side Control Arms back on.

New spring, shock and though you can't see Tie Rod End.

The Driver's side Control Arms back on.

New Stuff on this side too.

Almost ready to put the front end back on the ground!

Comment

Working...
                                X