No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Dang, I'm gonna have to hang out with the fuel injection nerds this year :D :P Hopefully the Skylark treats me well when I fire it up (today?) and for at LEAST the next week or so, that way I blend in ;D
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Yeah, you and that trailer really blend in. :P :P
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        Dang, I'm gonna have to hang out with the fuel injection nerds this year
        see you on the salt, Number One!

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
          Dang, I'm gonna have to hang out with the fuel injection nerds this year
          see you on the salt, Number One!

I'm the tall relatively thin one right ??? ;D

Comment

Skylark's back together! I came in to wash my hands and grab my laptop. Going back out to see if it starts and break in the cam. Wish me luck on the cam break in and for oil pressure!

Comment

waiting for next update...!
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I need to do a better job of marking the timing before I pull it apart :P :-\

Good news is, I got it started and running decently enough to do the cam break in. The not so great news is it seems the oil pressure has been unaffected by the changes I made :'( I'll try adding the booster plate back in and play with oil weights. If I get something that works, I'll leave it alone :'( The other thing is, my timing is still fubar'd. It's the rotor phasing with the tab in the distributor cap. I've lost my light to play with it some more. Basically I'm rpm limited, it fires right up and idles, but rev on it and it backfires. The rotor was pointing right at the tab in the distributor cap or slightly before it with the timing mark at zero, so any advance was putting the rotor too far from the tab. As I'm writing this, I realized that the one adjustment I made to it before it got too dark, I turned the distributor the wrong way :P No wonder it was worse after I turned the distributor (and thus gave up for the night). I should be driving it tomorrow

Driving the Centurion, it's almost sickening how much oil pressure that engine has, it never goes under 20psi, even idling at 600rpm.

Comment

You sure it's not the oil pressure gauge? That's what is dying on the Impala, not the engine's oil pressure.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I replaced the sending unit while I had the engine out. The other one was leaking. In either case, the cold pressure is good, and it gradually went down as it warmed up. So with that spread I think the gauge is good. Maybe I'll swap the gauge with the Centurion's, it's the same model.

Comment

I replaced the sending unit while I had the engine out. The other one was leaking. In either case, the cold pressure is good, and it gradually went down as it warmed up. So with that spread I think the gauge is good. Maybe I'll swap the gauge with the Centurion's, it's the same model.
                      Impala's gauge is mechanical. But, it's 60#'s at cold start up and is low as 15 when warm at idle. Using a pressure testing gauge, I really had double that when warm. I can't complain. The gauge is now in it's second car and was bought around 1993.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Both Buick's idle with 75lbs when cold. The Centurion warms up to 20psi, the Skylark, lower :-\ I'll play some oil games with it.

Comment

Is there a way to monitor the pressure sensor with the MS?

Great to hear you got it running, sorry to hear about the oil pressure.

What was the ambient temp during cam break in last night and what oil weight are you using - Valvoline VR-1 as I recall - just can't remember the weight.

Hopefully there isn't a next time - but - if you mark the rotor position on the body of the distributor - and the body of the distributor to the block - you should be able to get right back where you started with the timing....
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                            Is there a way to monitor the pressure sensor with the MS?
                            He can get a cheap pressure sensor that outputs 0-5v, and plug it into a spare input on the MS. It's good for logging, but it's probably just as easy to watch a mechanical or electric gauge too.

Comment

There is probably a way to make an input for the MS to data log it, but I'm not too worried about datalogging oil pressure. I think I'm currently using a 3:2 mix of 10w-30 and 20w-50, I'd have to check the empty bottles, could be the other way around. I'll pop the booster plate back on there after work today, it's a less than fifteen minute job.

*Scott beat me too it. It's a Sunpro Electrical gauge. I like them because my copper lines used to seep no matter what I did and I don't have to worry about breaking/crimping the tube with all these engines pulls :P the sender is at the front of the block like a FE engine.

Yeah I know what I "should" do when pulling the distributor, but I always seem to get this dumb idea that since I'm taking the timing cover off and such that I can just line the cam dots up, the timing mark at 0, the distributor at #1 and be good :P I really need to set the distributor just ahead of #1 so the advance has something to work with. What I also should really do is lock down my pickup coil so I don't touch it, because I can't resist messing with it when the timing is off, thus screwing with my trigger angle settings in the MS. I'm basically making things more complicated for myself than they really are :'(

I have a couple days to get this thing running great so I have something to be somewhat proud to show to DG I never nailed the cruising or WOT tune with the 290-08H cam I'm using, just the start up and around town driving part. As long as it doesn't hurt itself I'll be getting it dialled in with a thursday/friday trip to Las Vegas and back, and a loaded up the with the trail going to Bonneville.

Comment

We'll do some tuning if it's all back together and happy this weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                X