'51 GMC,4200 Vortec DOHC - Turbocharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '51 GMC,4200 Vortec DOHC - Turbocharged

Any more updates on this??? Even the "prototype" would be a fun piece for my Camino from the sounds of it.
    Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Dyno day - June 4/5 ........

Long awaited day to fire the built turbo motor - apprehension builds, I just know I ain't going to get much sleep the night before.....

Comment

And the results are in...

Re: 264/264A recommendation giving nominal duration only tells you nothing.DOHC engines have very different lift rates than pushrod engines, and 4 valve different again.

Comment

double the stock, NA hp.... very impressive. When's the turbo going to be added? what turbo are you planning on using?
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That's really impressive. Anyone have a weight for these things??

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
              That's really impressive. Anyone have a weight for these things??
              About 450 to 475 lbs.

There is still more power to be had NA - long tube headers, 90mm TB and set the cams to have overlap with the stock compression of 10.2:1 I bet you will get 100 hp/litre (100HP/60 ci) or 1.64 HP/ci.

To bad this didn't happen during the carjunkie days when it could have get a full dyno flog..... Freiberger you got your ears on... I ran out of funds to keep going. $85/hour adds up fast.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last pull peaked at 7100....

Comment

Man, that is one angry sounding six!! I dig it.

Comment

Love this project, props for thinking out of the box . Now will someone put one of these in a Supra and get it in a import magazine lol

Comment

Someone is already doing that swap....

Very soon I'm going to have commercially available cam shaft blanks available for the 4200. Cams and porting are the keys to making power with this engine.

I will be opening a group buy for the cam blanks within 2 weeks check on tailvoy (same user name) for the announcement. These engine are dirt cheap from the wreckers. No one ones them yet...

Comment

I hope DF is paying attention to this.

This engine is the Junkyard King of Domestics... it would make a KILLER article in the magazine. Something different, affordable, and big power.

Huge props to efi-diy !!
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Been cooler than hell watching this thing come together, congrats on seeing it through and making great numbers on the dyno.

I was shocked to see the cast iron exhaust manifold on there, it makes the power #s even more awesome. From outward appearance it looks to be a fairly free flowing design, but I'd have to imagine a tube header would blow it's doors off in terms of flow. Then again, being the smart doobie that you are the thing could be all extrude honed and stuff. Killer engine and I'm biting my nails to see the numbers it makes with the windmill strapped to it!

Congrats again and thanks for sharing this with us!

Brian
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Thanks guys.

The intake and exhaust manifolds are right out of GM no mod's. What would be really cool is to run 3-1 duals.. get that six rapppaaaaa.

Drag week 2005 was the catalyst to get this project rolling. I still shake my head in wonder why GM didn't use this engine in the new Camaro, it would give the folks who normally buy a bimmer or supra something domestic to work with.

It would be really neat to be able to fully flog the engine with headers and set the cams up for NA use etc.

The engines in the truck now and tomorrow the front clip goes back on after which we'll fire the engine in its new home. I'm going to run it NA for a 2 weeks or so to work out the NA driveability tuning etc.

There also a growing list of non-automotive "to do" item that need attention before the turbo goes on. Got to keep some peace in the house.. ;)

This is not my rod (wish it was!) but an excellent install of a 4200 as another swap.

By efi_diy at 2009-07-08

Comment

If the rest of that truck looks as good as the shot above, I'm gonna need a bib and keyboard protector to view it.
                              Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

The biggest kicker with the 4200 is no parts - except stock items. The key to making power is the head and cams - the head needs port work on the exhaust side especially the '02-'05 head. The crappy thing is GM never released cam blanks for this engine and most likely never will since the trailblazer was canceled last Dec.

So I decided to do something about this.. and have designed 8620 billet cam blanks. If anyone every had an itch to play with one of these engine I set up a one time group buy on trailvoy.com for cam blanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X