'51 GMC,4200 Vortec DOHC - Turbocharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '51 GMC,4200 Vortec DOHC - Turbocharged

Cool project. Is this the same type engine that was in that blue Nova wagon that ran on Dragweek and the pump gas drags a few years ago. Not trying to start the controversy about the wagon owner, just wanting to know if this is the same engine.

Comment

Originally posted by seanm
      Cool project. Is this the same type engine that was in that blue Nova wagon that ran on Dragweek and the pump gas drags a few years ago. Not trying to start the controversy about the wagon owner, just wanting to know if this is the same engine.
      Yes it is.

Comment

Thanks. Thought that combo was trick too. Lots of potential.

Comment

Has a little setback ( and no I didn't move the engine rearward.. ) The freaking oil pump pick seal partially failed, at >3000 rpm when the engine was hot, the pump would cavitate - oil pressure would drop to 0 spike to 80# drop to 0, dropping the rpm 35# oil pressure at 2000. 100 psi cold with 15-40 rotella..

> > > > engine had to come out - its on its way back in now.

Comment

How hard is it to set one of these things up to run stock with a MSq? The wife is warming up to the idea of a 67-72 Suburban as a kid hauler with some distiction and this would be a cool and powerful enough powerplant.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
              How hard is it to set one of these things up to run stock with a MSq? The wife is warming up to the idea of a 67-72 Suburban as a kid hauler with some distiction and this would be a cool and powerful enough powerplant.
              I have a msq file for a stock engine so that part is covered. The '02 to'06 engine use an oddball 7 notch crank trigger - earlier this year I was able to get MSextra (with help from James) running on it - I haven't been successful in repeating that feat.. otherwise you can install a 36-1 timing wheel/bracket on the front of the balancer. I have made 2 of them and the kinks are worked out of the design. I have to have them made. Email me if you interested.

If you can find a '08 or '09 they use a 60-2 wheel like the late model LS series.

Comment

Well the turbo's on the built engine and does it ever like the added airflow from the cams and ported '06 head!

Stay tuned ...

Comment

Thanks for keeping us updated efi - man this engine is impressive.

I think I can answer your question about why this mill didn't find it's way into the camaro --- crash testing.

You'll notice all modern cars engines are being set further and further back, for crash safety - that's really tough to do with a long engine like an inline six.

That's the same reason the mighty 300 ford inline died after 97 - the F150 body that came out in '96 wouldn't accept the long engine and pass crash, so - we got shafted with the 4.2 V6 as the base :'(
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yeah....

My intake is finally complete..

Comment

Intakes mocked up on the test fit motor... going on the good engine tomorrow, followed by charge air piping.

Comment

NIIIIIICE
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Intake install

22 hours and counting....

Just 1 small thing after another... :
                            • the purchased intake flange bolt hole spacing was off had to file fit each hole...

-finish port matching the runners to the flange..

-took the plenum off to de-burr and clean everthing - the top of the runners pulled from welding at the flange - had to figure out how to get them back where they were..

-the purchased intake flange didn't have the full grooves milled in to take the stock GM
                            intake gasket - 3 hours trimming the gasket.

-in one of the supplemental fuel injector retainers - the counter bore was off 1/16 ( I don't have a mill) so a square end burr in the die grinder had to do. Very carefully nibbled at it..

-finally got the intake on - go to put the alternator on the adapters ( I knew this was going to be a headache..) it hits the inner fender... big bar move the sheet metal - it doesn't move any more... air hammer with a panel ripper - clang sheetmetals on the floor - then I see the real problem -- the front pivot bushing for the upper control arms interfering - crap .. can't move the alternator, can't move the UCAB... !@#$!@!#$ ^ grind the alternator - a bit better -still not enough.. will try a 3500 alternator on the the 4200 in the morning - local napa has one in stock @#$%@# $200

- the tapped bolt hole in the manifold flange were off just enough to prevent one TB bolt from starting.

- plus 50 more nitty gritty BS items that slow progress down...

/li]

Prototyping is exciting and frustrating at the same time. Once the alternator is in - still have the charge air piping to do at least I have a way forward on that, sure wish I had a TIG here instead of driving 30 miles....

Comment

the 4.2 alternator is huge and takes up insane space

Comment

Your right - 150 amp - the 3500 is a 100 amp so hopefully it fits better.

Comment

25 little things always seem to take longer than 1 big thing. Prototyping is satisfying...and a pain in the ass.

Thanks for the updates. Pics soon??

Comment

Working...
                                X