'51 GMC,4200 Vortec DOHC - Turbocharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '51 GMC,4200 Vortec DOHC - Turbocharged

Well after many long nights/weekends the truck is finally running with boost, need to tune so the initial shake down drives were short and easy on the gas. Tuning start tomorrow.

running a steed speed manifold..

Re: '51 GMC,4200 Vortec DOHC - Turbocharged

Keep the updates coming Marc, a LOT of people are interested in your progress on the 4200...!!!
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Its making boost abiet limited to 8 psi on the early (pre '06) stock engine - I have the bulk of the street tuning done, heading for the dyno as part of the megafest next weekend.

Also have the billet cams in house for the good motor, came out real nice.. just a quick note - we can supply the cam blanks to anyone that wants them. If you call comp - they need you to supply the cam blanks.

Blanks and stock cams

finished exhaust cam - intake is here also - not shown pardon the mess....

CNC'ed V Band flange I designed and had made - adapts the turbo directly to the 4" down pipe in a 1.25" distance from turbo to the pipe - great for tight installs.

These can be custom sized to suit the application easily.... inquire...

Even with a crappy power tune and only turning 3800 rpm the thing just flat out goes. The boost pressure comes up quick then the volume kicks in and oh my goodness hang on.

Comment

More tuning tonight - found the limit of the installed fuel system... time for more pump and most likely injectors..

Comment

What EMS are you using and what are you backing it up with?
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Running M/S II on a V3 main board. Not sure what you mean by back up???

Comment

Transmission
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Right,,,,,

heavily modified 4L60E running no PCM...

Its still a work in progress so some of its needs more attention to get it 100%.. good enough for now lets go cuisin'

Comment

Now that's a truck motor!!
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Well it gets 25MPH at 80 MPH cruising at 2200 rpm. Next week is the dyno day... stay tuned for the results. My guess is 390 @ flywheel on 8 psi which is the most I want to run on the stock engine. Truck weighs in at about 3400# rolling so about 8.8#/HP.

Overall a good compromise between power and drivabliltiy..

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                      Now that's a truck motor!!
                      And they are easy to come by, $600 on ebay will find a good engine.

Comment

Originally posted by efi-diy
                        Well it gets 25MPH at 80 MPH cruising at 2200 rpm. Next week is the dyno day... stay tuned for the results. My guess is 390 @ flywheel on 8 psi which is the most I want to run on the stock engine. Truck weighs in at about 3400# rolling so about 8.8#/HP.

Overall a good compromise between power and drivabliltiy..
                        The dyno was giving the operator fits, and kept asking to do a lot of partial runs to try and sort out the dyno, without much cool down time so the engine got hot. Its seems to be fine though after it cooled off.

We did finally get one full pull in 2nd gear << not the best but with the dyno acting up applying too much load, it wouldn't pull the load in direct.

End result 280HP at 5500rpm @155Kpa boost, 92 octane pump gas. 11.8:1 AFR.. So guess somewhere close to 360 at the flywheel consider the losses through the drive train. There is certainly more in the tuneup as WOT timing is 6 deg. Good enough for the stock engine. Most likely another 10 - 20 RWHP in the tune.

This is very close to the end of the season here weather wise with other tasks at hand to prepare for the coming season termination dust, I'll focus on finishing the built engine over the next few months.

Comment

Not to shabby.....what does it sound like?

Seth
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Like this:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I need to get some video on the road...

Comment

Damn! that sounds awesome!!

Good job Marc. You make the megasquirt crowd proud.

-scott
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X